Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

mowensphotogra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

Ok so here is my dilemma..
I'm in college. I've been taking a few photo classes here and there. I guess I would consider myself more than a hobbyist. I've been working for the school paper shooting sports. Every other assignment is boring. I love shooting sports but also love lifestyle photography. Whenever my family and I go on a trip, I always take photos of the entire vacation from the second we leave the house to the second we get home. Capturing the moments that people say "I wish someone got a picture of that" is what I love to do.

Shooting sports obviously calls for the 1D line, which I currently have.
Lifestyle calls for FF or IMO it does.

So I've come under the dilemma where I want to upgrade my body and don't know what to do. My first thought was to go over to Nikon and pick up a D700, then I realized that I'd be taking a big fall by switching. Now, I'm thinking about sticking with Canon.

I kind of narrowed it down to 3 bodies:
5D markII
1D markIII
D700

Also, I'd be selling the 1D MarkII.

Thoughts and advice would extremely help!

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:42 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

I'd go 7D.

AF similar to 1D & crop sensor for the extra reach for your sports shooting, size of the 5D for family trips, & plenty capable for "capturing those moments people say....."

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:51 PM
Trevor Sowers
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

1D MarkIII isn't FF

1Ds MarkIII is and it would be a great choice if you don"t mind a brick!

5D MarkII is wicked for lifestyle photography and it is small and light enough to take anywhere!

D700 does fit the sports/lifestyle combo very well.

Look at the whole package of lenses etc to see if switching is worth it!

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:52 PM
galenapass
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

What is it that your MKII is not doing for you?

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:53 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

mowensphotogra wrote:
Ok so here is my dilemma..
I'm in college. I've been taking a few photo classes here and there. I guess I would consider myself more than a hobbyist. I've been working for the school paper shooting sports. Every other assignment is boring. I love shooting sports but also love lifestyle photography. Whenever my family and I go on a trip, I always take photos of the entire vacation from the second we leave the house to the second we get home. Capturing the moments that people say "I wish someone got a picture of that" is what I love to
...Show more

1D III would be my choice, even though it's a but pixel challenged. IQ is very good and it can do a great job in a non-sporting role where naturally it'll leave the 5D II for dead. 1.3x crop 1 series are the ultimate do anything tool IMO and I'd only sell my 1D III for a 1D IV. I do have the 5D II as well, but I rarely use it for action work. So If I had to choose I'd keep the 1 series.

The other option you've not mentioned, is a 1Ds II. The AF is similar to the 1D III and it'll do a better job than the 5D II, but still only 4fps and buffer is small. But it offers superb IQ. It really depends on how much sports you want to do. I'd still be leaning toward a 1D III for the speed.

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:53 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

galenapass wrote:
What is it that your MKII is not doing for you?

+1

I don't think you need a different body for lifestyle shooting. Just use it differently.

Dec 09, 2011 at 05:50 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

mowensphotogra wrote:
I've been working for the school paper shooting sports. Every other assignment is boring. I love shooting sports but also love lifestyle photography.

There's your answer right there. Follow your bliss (passion) and you will be happier and more motivated and more successful at it. Stay with the 1D series cameras.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:49 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

Monito wrote:
There's your answer right there. Follow your bliss (passion) and you will be happier and more motivated and more successful at it. Stay with the 1D series cameras.

Love the 1D series..

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:57 AM
WmPat
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

mowensphotogra wrote:
..... Lifestyle calls for FF or IMO it does. .....

Why do you think that?

My impression is that you need to let your shooting habits guide your equipment choices, and pay less attention to what you read on the internet.

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:12 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Having trouble deciding what to do. Please help!

Why not an original 5D ?

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:57 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.