Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

In your opinion, Which of the manual focus Canon lens ( above 400mm ) is the best for IQ?? Primarily will be used for spying on my neighbors... NO it will not... I want to use on grazing animals and slow moving landscape.. Disregard size, weight, cost, and availability... I do not go far from the car so portability is not important, quality is... Do not worry about tripods, heads, etc... Those I have... Are there alternative super-tele's you would recommend?? Thank you..

Dec 08, 2011 at 05:09 PM
pingflood
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

Why not look at the older Nikkors? See even the 600mm lenses go for affordable prices and they can easily be adapted to Canon mount.

Dec 08, 2011 at 05:39 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

pingflood wrote:
Why not look at the older Nikkors? See even the 600mm lenses go for affordable prices and they can easily be adapted to Canon mount.

Ping; Thank you.. I am looking into the Nikkor's for the reasons you stated.. but wanted to compare the Best Canon against the Best Nikon..

Dec 08, 2011 at 07:10 PM
Depp
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

The Nikkor 500mm f4 P IF-ED AI-P & the Nikkor 600mm f4 IF-ED New AI-S are both sharp wide open and do well on digital bodies.

There are also few 400mm Nikkors that have excellent performance on digital bodies.
The Nikkor 400mm f2.8 IF-ED AI-S and the 400mm f5.6 ED or P.C. versions.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

Nikkor also made a few zooms that are fairly sharp on digital bodies.
The Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f4 ED AI-S and the Zoom-Nikkor 180-600mm f8 ED AI-S.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#500
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_00.html

Third party lens builder Koburi built a very solid 120-600mm f5.6 that does fairly decent...these were usually sold by Vivitar and Soligor gmbH (Germany)...the Vivitar 120-600mm f5.6 version can usually be found on ebay cheap.These are fairly sharp at the long end.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/userreviews/vivitar-120-600mm-f-5-6-8-zoom-lens.html

Koburi built Vivitar 120-600mm 5.6 racked out to 350mm

Pentacon 5.6/500 can usually be found on German ebay site...the Pentacons are fairly sharp with decent contrast...but they are a monster of a lens.

Novoflex made some sharp super telephoto lens from 400mm to 680mm...tried a few of these,they are indeed sharp
Century PrecisionOptics also made a 500/3.8 & a 5.6 version,a 600/4.5,a 800/4.7,a 1000/8 and a 1200/6.8...tired a few of these,they do surprisingly well.
http://web.archive.org/web/20061118181648/medfmt.8k.com/third/cult.html

Tamron made a few primes in their adaptall-2 mount like the 300/2.8 and the 400/4 and the 200-500/5.6
http://www.adaptall-2.org/lenses/SP_Adaptall-2_LensIndex.html

Pentax made the 500/4.5 which is supposed to do OK...but I've never tried this lens...also heard the mount usually needs tightening on these...several sources for doing this operation are available on the net.
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-K-500mm-F4.5-Lens.html

Pentax also had a few other super telephotos that got excellent reviews such as the 600.5.6 ED
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-Star-600mm-F5.6-Lens.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-Star-300mm-F2.8-Lens.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-Star-400mm-F2.8-Lens.html
http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-Star-1200mm-F8-Lens.html

Tokina made a 300mm f2.8 and a 400mm f5.6,also a 150-500mm f5.6 zoom that started to get soft above 300mm....never tried any of these.

Edited on Dec 08, 2011 at 09:01 PM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2011 at 07:42 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

oldrattler wrote:
In your opinion, Which of the manual focus Canon lens ( above 400mm ) is the best for IQ?? Primarily will be used for spying on my neighbors... NO it will not... I want to use on grazing animals and slow moving landscape.. Disregard size, weight, cost, and availability... I do not go far from the car so portability is not important, quality is... Do not worry about tripods, heads, etc... Those I have... Are there alternative super-tele's you would recommend?? Thank you..

Keep in mind that old MF Canon lenses can NOT be mounted on EOS bodies without 'invasive surgery' being performed on the rear lens mount. As mentioned in some replies above, old Nikkors can easily be mounted with a simple (and inexpensive) adapter. Some adapters even have a focus confirmation chip and can have the EXIF info programmed for a particular lens as well. Some members over on the Alternative Gear Forum have experince in adapting the old FD mounts to EOS.

HTH,
Omar

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:36 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

Depp wrote:
The Nikkor 500mm f4 P IF-ED AI-P & the Nikkor 600mm f4 IF-ED New AI-S are both sharp wide open and do well on digital bodies.

There are also few 400mm Nikkors that have excellent performance on digital bodies.
The Nikkor 400mm f2.8 IF-ED AI-S and the 400mm f5.6 ED or P.C. versions.

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_tele.html

Nikkor also made a few zooms that are fairly sharp on digital bodies.
The Zoom-Nikkor 200-400mm f4 ED AI-S and the Zoom-Nikkor 180-600mm f8 ED AI-S.

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#500
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_zoom_00.html

Third party lens builder Koburi built a very solid 120-600mm f5.6 that does fairly decent...these were usually sold by Vivitar and Soligor gmbH (Germany)...the Vivitar 120-600mm
...Show more

Thank you very much.. I am drawn toward Nikon as it has a reputation for quality.. Jim

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:07 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

omarlyn wrote:
Keep in mind that old MF Canon lenses can NOT be mounted on EOS bodies without 'invasive surgery' being performed on the rear lens mount. As mentioned in some replies above, old Nikkors can easily be mounted with a simple (and inexpensive) adapter. Some adapters even have a focus confirmation chip and can have the EXIF info programmed for a particular lens as well. Some members over on the Alternative Gear Forum have experince in adapting the old FD mounts to EOS.

HTH,
Omar

Omar; I was not aware of that.. Thank you..Looks like I am after an old Nikon, unless some Canon MF virtuoso helps out.. Jim

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:16 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

omarlyn wrote:

HTH,
Omar

oldrattler wrote:
Omar; I was not aware of that.. Thank you..Looks like I am after an old Nikon, unless some Canon MF virtuoso helps out.. Jim

Yes, the FD mount has a register distance (lens flange to sensor) that is less than the EOS register...hence, in order to achieve infinity focus, an FD lens flange would have to (literally) be inside an EOS camera. However, many FD mount lenses can have the lens mount changed entirely to an EOS mount with the proper register distance.

Omar

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:27 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

omarlyn wrote:
Yes, the FD mount has a register distance (lens flange to sensor) that is less than the EOS register...hence, in order to achieve infinity focus, an FD lens flange would have to (literally) be inside an EOS camera. However, many FD mount lenses can have the lens mount changed entirely to an EOS mount with the proper register distance.

Omar

Any idea what sort of cost that involves Omar? Is the cost highly dependent on the lens or is it roughly the same irrespective of lens?

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

I think all thinks FD are wel covered on the alt forum.
The only real issue with the FD lenses and the long ones in particular is they have started to find homes on the new breed of mirror less cams like the m4/3rds and nex cameras as all these have a shorter register distance so can easily take an adapter . Which while a good thing has raised the costs of the FD tele lenses.

Just think about the prospect of a nex7 and a lens like the 150-600

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
I think all thinks FD are wel covered on the alt forum.
The only real issue with the FD lenses and the long ones in particular is they have started to find homes on the new breed of mirror less cams like the m4/3rds and nex cameras as all these have a shorter register distance so can easily take an adapter . Which while a good thing has raised the costs of the FD tele lenses.

Just think about the prospect of a nex7 and a lens like the 150-600

Well it's easy to adapt and EF lens too, so I'd be keen to see how my 500 f/4 went on an NEX-7

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:51 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

True enough pixel .

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:52 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
True enough pixel .

That's the great thing about mirrorless, you can just about adapt anything to them even rangefinder lenses.

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

Further to my previous post about the price of some of theses lenses now. A quick skim of eBay showed a 300/2.8 for £1.6k which is more than you sometimes see non is AF ones come up for. A 500/4.5 for£2k and that 150-600 going for £3.5k

I would think that before the mirror less cameras came out you could have picked any of those up for way way less than that.

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:01 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Further to my previous post about the price of some of theses lenses now. A quick skim of eBay showed a 300/2.8 for £1.6k which is more than you sometimes see non is AF ones come up for. A 500/4.5 for£2k and that 150-600 going for £3.5k

I would think that before the mirror less cameras came out you could have picked any of those up for way way less than that.

Ouch. I agree at one stage they were almost giving away FD glass. I saw a 200 f/1.8 FD for crazy low price once.

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:03 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

In your profile you listed a 300mm f/2.8 IS. I would try using a 1.4X or is necessary a 2X TC on that lens if I were you. Not only it will autofocus but also it will give you the IS feature. Yes, it "only" has a 2-stop advantage but I would prefer that combo over any "exotic" non-AF and non-IS lens. Again, I would, at least, give that a try first, if were you....

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:29 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

AGeoJO wrote:
In your profile you listed a 300mm f/2.8 IS. I would try using a 1.4X or is necessary a 2X TC on that lens if I were you. Not only it will autofocus but also it will give you the IS feature. Yes, it "only" has a 2-stop advantage but I would prefer that combo over any "exotic" non-AF and non-IS lens. Again, I would, at least, give that a try first, if were you....

Thank you... Yes I actually have a 300 2.8 IS and a Sigma 120-300 2.8.. My wife uses one and I the other.. I have never tried a 2X converter, but have used the 1.4X... My wife shoots a 7D so she has an effective 480 2.8 X 1.4X = 680 4.. I need a 500 with a 1.4X on my FF to out-gun her.. Simple marriage arithmetic.. Jim

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:57 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

Jim,
I am not sure about the Sigma zoom; I am not saying one way or the other but I would use a 1.4X TC on the 300mm f/2.8 IS lens and without any hesitation at that. I am sure your wife will let you use her 7D once in a while as long as you do the dishes.... . Seriously, you will be better off than using a MF lens... YMMV.

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:08 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

AGeoJO wrote:
Jim,
I am not sure about the Sigma zoom; I am not saying one way or the other but I would use a 1.4X TC on the 300mm f/2.8 IS lens and without any hesitation at that. I am sure your wife will let you use her 7D once in a while as long as you do the dishes.... . Seriously, you will be better off than using a MF lens... YMMV.

I agree.. and the wife said dishes for a week... Jim

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:13 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · MF Super Telephoto Lens ??

oldrattler wrote:
I agree.. and the wife said dishes for a week... Jim

Ouch that's a high price. Probably wrth going and getting an 800L

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:19 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password