Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Orchid

gregfountain
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Orchid

This is a focus stack of 6 images. I wasn't sure about converting it as the whites got a little hot in the process, but a little recovery helped a bit. Thanks for looking!

Greg

NIKON D700    105.0 mm f/2.8 lens    105mm    f/9.0    1/30s    1600 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:58 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Orchid

Greg:
I think I like this even more than the color version. What are you using for stack software, where did you learn the process?
Douglas

Dec 08, 2011 at 04:53 PM
James McQueen
• • •
p.1 #3 · Orchid

Excellent image Greg. Maybe it is me ..... but the image seems a tad dark to me ....... but what do I know?

- Jim

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:12 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Orchid

douter wrote:
Greg:
I think I like this even more than the color version. What are you using for stack software, where did you learn the process?
Douglas

Thanks Doug. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've achieved with this technique thus far. I use Photoshop 5 to process the stack...I subscribe to Kelby Online Training to learn photoshop and lightroom techniques and basics, and I also ended up with a write up on the technique by Larry Williams.

Greg

Edited on Dec 08, 2011 at 09:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:09 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Orchid

James McQueen wrote:
Excellent image Greg. Maybe it is me ..... but the image seems a tad dark to me ....... but what do I know?

- Jim

Hi Jim! I'd say you know a lot! Yes, it probably does appear a little dark due to the additional recovery applied to tame the whites...I know it's not perfect, but I've been playing around with focus stacking and just thought I'd convert one to see what happened....

Cheers!

Greg

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:11 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Orchid

Hi Greg, the photo stacking and composition looks very good.
But why using iso 1600?
Chris

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:12 PM
lazlo369
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Orchid

Very nicely done, but I do question the use of 1600 ISO as well

Dec 09, 2011 at 12:21 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Orchid

Greg,
The term "stacked" has meant something entirely different to me ever since high school, and I ain't changing such a wonderful-if-not-accurate description!
But I do like the image .
Charlie

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:38 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Orchid

Chris and Lazlo,

I used 1600, because the lighting I was using was a tungsten lamp shot through two diffusers to balance the color temp and soften the light cast on the flower. One of the things I run into with orchids is the reflective nature of their petals, so to help control that, I set up the lighting to counter it. At f/9-f/11, the sweet spot of this macro lens at the focal distance I was using, a boost in ISO was required to get the exposure in the ballpark. I know I could have stopped up quite bit and dropped the ISO, but effective focal range decreases substantially, requiring more shots. I'm on a learning path, so any tips or suggestion are appreciated. I usually shoot flowers at f/22 and ISO 100, when using a regular lens, but then again, I'm usually a few feet away...

Greg

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:22 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Orchid

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Greg,
The term "stacked" has meant something entirely different to me ever since high school, and I ain't changing such a wonderful-if-not-accurate description!
But I do like the image .
Charlie

I would expect no less Charlie! Thanks!

Greg

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Orchid

gregfountain wrote:
Chris and Lazlo,

I used 1600, because the lighting I was using was a tungsten lamp shot through two diffusers to balance the color temp and soften the light cast on the flower. One of the things I run into with orchids is the reflective nature of their petals, so to help control that, I set up the lighting to counter it. At f/9-f/11, the sweet spot of this macro lens at the focal distance I was using, a boost in ISO was required to get the exposure in the ballpark. I know I could have stopped up quite bit and
...Show more

Greg, If I understand you correctly you shot this outside and made it look like a inside job? Well done!
Chris

Dec 09, 2011 at 08:31 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Orchid

CDaescher wrote:
Greg, If I understand you correctly you shot this outside and made it look like a inside job? Well done!
Chris

Not the case at all Chris. Not sure how that came across but it was shot inside....

Dec 09, 2011 at 11:35 AM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Orchid

gregfountain wrote:
Not the case at all Chris. Not sure how that came across but it was shot inside....

Now you got me confused Greg. If you are in a controlled condition why not lower the shutter speed about 3 stops?
You used a tripod, right?
Chris

Dec 09, 2011 at 04:17 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Orchid

I wanted a faster shutter speed to counter the inherent shake that I experience with a raised foundation house and I settled on 1/30th of a second. For one shot, no big deal in slowing it down and lowering the ISO, but blending several images when one isn't properly focused, even by a little, ruins the stack. That's the best explanation I can give you!

Now I'm curious. What is it about using ISO 1600 that you find troublesome?

Dec 09, 2011 at 04:34 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Orchid

gregfountain wrote:
I wanted a faster shutter speed to counter the inherent shake that I experience with a raised foundation house and I settled on 1/30th of a second. For one shot, no big deal in slowing it down and lowering the ISO, but blending several images when one isn't properly focused, even by a little, ruins the stack. That's the best explanation I can give you!

Now I'm curious. What is it about using ISO 1600 that you find troublesome?

Nothing really wrong with iso 1600 but if I have the choice I always go for base iso.
Everything is better. Dynamic range, sharpness, shadow recovery, details...at least on my D7000.
I don't mean to criticize your approach here. I was just curios where the iso 1600 came from.
btw when I photo stack or go in really close I use my remote control and mirror up...and hold my breath.
Chris

Dec 09, 2011 at 10:15 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Orchid

CDaescher wrote:
Nothing really wrong with iso 1600 but if I have the choice I always go for base iso.
Everything is better. Dynamic range, sharpness, shadow recovery, details...at least on my D7000.
I don't mean to criticize your approach here. I was just curios where the iso 1600 came from.
btw when I photo stack or go in really close I use my remote control and mirror up...and hold my breath.
Chris

! Well, I do use a remote! No worries, I didn't take it as criticism in any way whatsoever. I'm just trying different things to acheive the best possible result, and this is just one of many!

Greg

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:25 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Orchid

CDaescher wrote:
Chris

+1 on the lower ISO use on an image. Better IQ for sure but this is wonderful.
Even with the high ISO and your focus stacking being done so well its a wonderful shot all around. Pretty sweet !

Dec 10, 2011 at 03:07 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Orchid

Klaus Priebe wrote:
+1 on the lower ISO use on an image. Better IQ for sure but this is wonderful.
Even with the high ISO and your focus stacking being done so well its a wonderful shot all around. Pretty sweet !

Thanks so much Klaus! I've got another, larger Orchid that I plan to shoot tonight with stacking and I will most certainly use ISO 100! But this time I'll be using two speedlights!

Greg

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:26 AM
jp55

p.1 #19 · Orchid

Beautiful treatment in bw

Dec 14, 2011 at 02:44 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password