Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomen...

WilsonImages
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

I need to swap out a few 1TB's or larger and looking at prices, they were more than I thought they would be.

for Mac Pro, any place other than OWC or newegg to go, or anyone have reccommendations.

I have two bays open, and two bays taken with a combined 80 GB SS boot drive.

thinking of replacing the 2 SSD's with one larger and then having 3 open bays...any help?

thanks,t odd

Dec 08, 2011 at 01:36 AM
Sunny Sra
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

Yes they have...because of flooding in Taiwan. Expect to see higher prices.

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:07 AM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

Yes Hard drive prices doubled plus. There were terrible flooding that killed hundreds and left a large section of the tech manufacturing under several feed of water. Hard drives were hit hard as the company that makes 75% of the motors for them was destroyed leaving a world wide shortage of drives. Should last well into second quarter of 2012 if not longer.

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:14 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

WilsonImages wrote:
I need to swap out a few 1TB's or larger and looking at prices, they were more than I thought they would be.

for Mac Pro, any place other than OWC or newegg to go, or anyone have reccommendations.

I have two bays open, and two bays taken with a combined 80 GB SS boot drive.

thinking of replacing the 2 SSD's with one larger and then having 3 open bays...any help?

thanks,t odd

yeah, it's been all over DPR threads and on tech sites

believe it or not, at this point you can often find them cheaper at places like Best Buy than online
not sure what the current store stock and pricing is like, a couple weeks ago some stores had stock of some models and it was a lot less than new egg and all, a few days later they raised the 3TB prices but the other sizes were still low (well compared to the new egg flood prices)

Dec 08, 2011 at 07:08 AM
dld542004
• •
p.1 #5 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

Flooding was in Thailand not Taiwan

Dec 08, 2011 at 01:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sarsfield
• • •
p.1 #6 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

Disk drive makers and their system customers are being hit due to shortages of mechanical and electrical components. The most critical loss for many manufacturers are a key component for read/write heads.

Ironically, one of the major components of read/write heads -- read/write head wafers -- are produced in Ireland, the U.S. and Japan. Another critical component, the slider, though, is produced in Thailand.

The slider is the block on the tip of a read/write head on which the record and playback head (wafer) is mounted. "For Western Digital, we believe that will be the component most critically short in 2012," Rydning said.

Current HDD inventories will be depleted this quarter, which will offset some HDD production shortfall, IDC said.

"We generally believe the HDD industry will find way to return to pre-flood production levels by March 2012, but by that point HDD supplies will be at extremely low levels," Rydning said. "It's still going to be a pretty painful period from December through February for most HDD customers."

Excerpt from this article and yes, it was Thailand, not Taiwan:

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9221409/Hard_drive_shortage_expected_to_hurt_consumers_most

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:23 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

dld542004 wrote:
Flooding was in Thailand not Taiwan

I knew that but now I look really stupid.

Dec 09, 2011 at 04:17 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

Isn't it strange that such a high percentage of such a vital component for all the different brands of hard drives in the world comes from a single factory in a floodable area. Not a lot of strategic planning went into that one.

The good news for the OP is that the price of SSDs has not been directly affected because SSDs are made elsewhere and are still being produced. The bad news is that still cost a lot more than HDDs and have a smaller maximum capacity.

Keep in mind that any older hard drives you have sitting around since they were retired in favour of bigger drives are perhaps still viable in the short term.

- Alan

Dec 11, 2011 at 11:53 AM
cbbm

p.1 #9 · Have internal HD's gotten more expensive lately? reccomendations?

I got 3TB hitachi drive, 7200RPM, non-retail box from amazon for just 199 , free shipping.
it was like 2 weeks ago, not sure about now. they limited one per customer. I heard seagate CEO said its going to be even worse. nowadays, the price for the traditional drive is almost reaching SSD's price, no wonder apple now ships more SSD notebook than traditional motor one.

Dec 16, 2011 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password