Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · How many versions of the Tamron 17-50 exist?

treepop
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How many versions of the Tamron 17-50 exist?

I know about the 17-50 non VCR and VC, but I keep seeing other variations of the 17-50 nonvc version mentioned. I see, screw type, Japanese, built in motor, and the like.

Can someone please give me an overview of the variations and which version is considered the best. Thanks.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:53 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How many versions of the Tamron 17-50 exist?

THe earlier 'non-VR' or whatever it is, was reputed to be better, I doubt there is much in it. We have that early one, the build quality is ghastly, you have to keep your fingers out of the way of the focus ring, it's a plastic sleeve affair, plastic filter thread also from memory. We use one on a Sony A700.

Having given you the downside, it is a fine lens optically and manages very nice images, excellent from f4, decent centre at f2.8, pretty good colour.

I would look in specific camera forums, like DPR, as it is a popular lens on all mounts.

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:46 AM
Specularist
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How many versions of the Tamron 17-50 exist?

I have the F-mount A16N II model of this lens, which has a built-in motor, does not have VC (Vibration Compensation, i.e. optical image stabilisation), and is made in Japan. I don't think the country of manufacture makes one bit of difference, but there you go.

There is also a version without a built-in motor (model A16N), for Nikon cameras with their own focusing motors. This model is discontinued, but is optically identical to the current version with a built-in motor. Users seem to report faster focus, which is possible. My own lens, with built-in motor, has a more than adequate motor speed, but it doesn't move the lens to the right distance in one swift movement, like SWM Nikkors do. Instead, it moves a little bit, reports something back to the camera (?), moves another little bit, and repeats up to half a dozen times before calling it a day. This movement is accompanied by a mild staccato clatter as the gear train stutters to and fro, plus the whine of the motor itself. The version without a built-in motor might behave better. I haven't used it.

Focus accuracy is fine with my lens.

As philip_pj mentions, the build quality is not awe-inspiring, but I would not call it ghastly. Unlike the slower but more expensive 16-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S Nikkor, it doesn't use metal for its extending barrel. That does make me a tad nervous. But other than the copious use of plastic, it feels quite tough. I think this impression is imparted by the generally rough finish quality. It's not an exquisite instrument, but rather a rough and ready tank. Therefore it doesn't feel like a little knock will overly upset it.

The zoom movement feels remarkably good for plastic. No creep, just the right amount of drag, and surprisingly smooth. Focus is another matter: there's no manual-focus override, so you have to operate a switch to get into manual-focus mode. The ring is small, doesn't feel good, and has a ridiculously short travel from infinity to the impressive minimum focus distance of 0.27 metres. Accurate manual focusing is very nearly impossible.

Despite the heavy reliance on plastic (this is Tamron's secret to low cost, by the way: they spend a fortune tooling up for plastic production, but then make everything in plastic for nearly free, selling in huge quantities to recoup the tooling costs), the mount is metal. I take that as another sign that it's a step up from the entry-level Nikkors like the 18-105 mm VR, etc. (which are Nikkors in name only, having rubbish mechanics and disappointing optics).

As for the filter threads, everything has plastic threads these days, including this Tammy and several lenses from Nikon and Canon costing 3x more!

The third and final version of this lens is the B005N II model, which employs a different design entirely and offers stabilisation (VC). This model has a bad rep because of some dubious online tests. I'm sure it's better than Photozone, etc., would have you believe. I say this because my A16N II model has serious field curvature, largely ignored by places like Photozone, who refocus for the corners of the test chart. Since field curvature is by far the biggest optical problem with my lens, I suspect Tamron addressed the matter somewhat with the B005N II. If so, it should perform better than the A16N II for flat or distant subjects like buildings, seascapes, etc. Warning: this is my surmise only.

These lenses do intrigue me. An optically decent f/2.8 trans-standard zoom for 300 euros is a shocking proposition! But it's an everyday reality at Tamron.

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:24 AM
treepop
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How many versions of the Tamron 17-50 exist?

Thanks for the VERY informative feedback. I'm sure that took a while, so I am really grateful.

I just checked and found I have an A16 Made in Japan Canon version. While the focus is a bit whiney, I find it quite fast and accurate. I don't miss my Canon 17-55 IS at all.

Thanks again guys/gals

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:01 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password