Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

sjms
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2011/12/07/CompactFlashXQD
a mutation is arriving

Edited on Dec 09, 2011 at 09:47 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:44 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

Arghh. I have about 500GB of CF cards. I wonder if there will be a gradual phase-in with one CF slot and one XQD (awful acronym) slot in the pro bodies.

EBH

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:52 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

oh, i sincerely hope not. the 1 CF 1 SD of canons was such a pain and down right stupid.
you know the pain will be short lived.

in the end it will most likely be called CF2

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:35 AM
PierreB
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

Hmmm...this must be why Sandisk slashed the price of their Extreme Pro CF's recently. Guess we should have seen it coming.

Given that it is only slightly larger than an SD card, maybe there will be an adapter to use it in a CF card slot.

Dec 08, 2011 at 01:48 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

no thats not why. there isn't a camera/product specd with it yet. in fact: "Licensing for CFA members will start in early 2012."

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:07 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

I saw this on the DPR site and my first thought was not another bloody card format .

Dec 08, 2011 at 04:27 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

you knew it was coming.

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:22 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

A way for manufacturers to make more money. New product = (supposedly) higher profits.

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:32 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

EB-1 wrote:
Arghh. I have about 500GB of CF cards. I wonder if there will be a gradual phase-in with one CF slot and one XQD (awful acronym) slot in the pro bodies.

EBH

Someone enlighten me please (apparently I live under a rock)...what the heck is XQD

Omar

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:01 PM
lou f
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

looks perfect to me, sd size with cf build so easier to find when dropped. isnt there a couple of new nikons in january? 36mp at V1 frame rates i'm guessing this is needed...

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

omarlyn wrote:
Someone enlighten me please (apparently I live under a rock)...what the heck is XQD

Omar

A totally new memory card format.

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:12 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

omarlyn wrote:

Omar

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
A totally new memory card format.

Yeah, I figured that much (duh)… I meant a reference. I 'Googled' XQD but I didn't get anything about memory cards.

Omar

EDIT: Nevermind…I was mis-typing 'XQD' in the Google search…I found the reference!
Just HOW did I manage to misspell a 3 letter word

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:39 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

with those 3 particular letters? pretty easily

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:47 PM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

We've previously discussed the reasons for the eventual move away from CF, and why SD is not a suitable alternative. Those reasons are summarized as follows:

1. CF is based on the PATA bus and read/write speeds cannot be increased indefinitely without breaking compatibility in some critical fashion.
2. SD is flimsy, was never designed for professional use, and its data throughput is also limited.

That said, XQD seems promising but doesn't really feel sufficiently forward-looking to last more than a decade or so. The target speed is 125 MB/s, which is faster than today's commonly-available 90 MB/s of UDMA 6 CF, but in my opinion, it's not *so* much faster that it justifies a physically incompatible form factor and hardware interface. Granted, the theoretical maximum of the PCIe bus is much higher, but the point here is that if the first devices and cards to use this new standard are not MUCH better than what CF offers, consumers may resist adopting it. This may be less of a problem in professional circles, where people are more easily (and often grudgingly) forced into adopting new standards, but XQD still needs to prove itself and get consumers on board if it is to eventually replace CF, which has a long history with lots of people already invested in the cards and devices. At 39% more speed, it seems only incremental; and UDMA 7's maximum theoretical speed actually is faster than the XQD's stated goal.

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

If the card has a serial bus and short data path there is no reason the spec cannot be changed over time to accommodate faster speeds.

EBH

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:51 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

Where is Lars in all this?

EBH

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:57 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

Lars is counting his terabytes of CF cards and deciding if he's going to sell them on the B&S board.

Dec 09, 2011 at 06:51 AM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

What is happening with CFast then? It is based on SATA, and I know a few companies have released CFast cards, but no camera manufacturers have released cameras using it yet.

Dec 09, 2011 at 10:37 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

as to CFast relying on sata, its that reason it has been bypassed. XQD is direct mainline PCI express. scaleability is considerable higher with this. a brighter future. 125MB/s is the starting point not the goal.

Dec 09, 2011 at 02:29 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · XQD: the future of the CF bloodline

PierreB wrote:
Hmmm...this must be why Sandisk slashed the price of their Extreme Pro CF's recently. Guess we should have seen it coming.

Given that it is only slightly larger than an SD card, maybe there will be an adapter to use it in a CF card slot.

XQD Dimensions : 38.5 x 29.8 x 3.8mm

43×36×3.3 mm (Type I)
43×36×5 mm (Type II)

I doubt it, you would lose any advantage of buying the XQD, which is speed.

Dec 09, 2011 at 10:06 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password