Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Street vendor in the Old City.
Plain and simple daily bread.
So much better than my market's breads that it's embarrassing.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:44 PM
tomandmarj
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Charlie - one of your best, in my estimation. love the tones here.
I might darken (just a wee bit) the window.
regards, tom

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:50 PM
lazlo369
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Spectacular ! Because of the well placed lights, it would look like a grand old painting if it was in colors

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:34 AM
1szfitsAL
• • •
p.1 #4 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Charlie nice catch here. I like the object standing out in this image. My eye is still drawn to the human so it seems to add more than take away. Nicely done

Dec 08, 2011 at 04:06 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Thanks Tom, Lazlo and OneSize.
Because of the very close confines in the bazaar section of the Old City, sunlight was at a premium. I just happened to walk by the man when a bit of sunlight shone on him.
I'm not sure what the structure on the upper right is- some sort of decoration, I suspect.
Charlie

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:28 PM
Michael Sharps

p.1 #6 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Great eye to catch this scene, and beautiful light!

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:37 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Nice capture Charlie! Great light and isolation of the subject. And just enough interaction with the little boy. Is he helping? Is he picking a loaf for Mom?

You need to get up to Portland. I hear they have some phenomenal bakeries! In California, he'd be arrested for health code violations.

Greg

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Thanks Michael and Greg.
As memory serves, the boy was just hanging around. I got the impression he was the man's son.
Greg- arrested? Yes, there are probably sections of SoCal where good taste IS against the law .
Charlie

Dec 09, 2011 at 09:32 PM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Charlie Shugart wrote:
Thanks Michael and Greg.
As memory serves, the boy was just hanging around. I got the impression he was the man's son.
Greg- arrested? Yes, there are probably sections of SoCal where good taste IS against the law .
Charlie

Nope Charlie, he would be arrested for health violations! Seriously, California is becoming a communist state with all it's fees, fines, licenses, etc. In the City of Los Angeles, if you place a sign in your front window that is more than 10% of the total store front glazing, it's a $300 fine. No warning. So a banner advertising "Toys for Tots Drop of Here" is pretty costly proposition for most business owners.

They also just shut down a raw milk co-op operation in Venice. Non-homogenized milk is somehow bad for you, according to the Health Department.

Whatever, you have to pay the state their cut to do business in California. Besides taxes....

Dec 10, 2011 at 12:33 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

gregfountain wrote:
"Nope Charlie, he would be arrested for health violations..."

"They also just shut down a raw milk co-op operation in Venice. Non-homogenized milk is somehow bad for you, according to the Health Department."

"Whatever, you have to pay the state their cut to do business in California. Besides taxes"....

I was lucky to have been raised in LA when it was very nice in almost every way.
No doubt the city and the whole state have become more complicated (as have most things and places).
I don't want to comment about the politics (I work hard to remain neutral to much of it- ever since I realized I had no good way to really understand it (trust the news? Trust political candidates?)
And I make no pretense of being knowledgeable about the milk industry- but I think you might be mixing up two terms: Homogenization is mostly a matter of blending different kinds of milk together to control the fat content and to keep the fat from coming to the top of the milk bottles. Pasteurization is the application of heat to kill such pathogenic microbes as salmonella and E. coli.
Raw milk does neither.
There are arguments in favor of all three ways of preparing and selling milk, but the government probably comes down heavily on the side of preventing salmonella and E. coli.
Charlie

Dec 10, 2011 at 02:30 AM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Being a market vendor myself, I really like this one!

Dec 10, 2011 at 11:50 AM
gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Charlie Shugart wrote:
I was lucky to have been raised in LA when it was very nice in almost every way.
No doubt the city and the whole state have become more complicated (as have most things and places).
I don't want to comment about the politics (I work hard to remain neutral to much of it- ever since I realized I had no good way to really understand it (trust the news? Trust political candidates?)
And I make no pretense of being knowledgeable about the milk industry- but I think you might be mixing up two terms: Homogenization is mostly a matter of blending
...Show more

Didn't mean to go political...I was just dramatizing the difference between "us" and the rest of the world where food is handled and treated VERY differently (the sign issue was just something I recently heard about so it was fresh). My trip to the Philippines convinced me that we might be a bit paranoid about sanitation. Thanks for clarifying...I did mean pasteurized, but I remember drinking milk straight from the cow when visiting family in the midwest as a youngster, and I'm still here.....

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:11 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Jerusalem- people No. 1

Hey, Greg.
I agree with you that the sign issue sure seems like too much government.
And too much government is often a scary thing.
I moved to Oregon in 1969, so I'm way out of touch with living in California.
With a population of 37,000,000+ and a delightful collection of climate zones causing more and more people to move there, the financial and sociological problems have got to be impossibly difficult to solve.
After moving away, I occasionally returned to visit family.
Mostly, though, I returned to the incredible selection of world-class travel destinations:
1- Driving State Highway #1 from Morro Bay all the way north to Legget.
2- Yosemite National Park.
3- Death Valley.
4- The redwoods.
5- The eastern side of the Sierras.
6- Mt Shasta and the nearby Lava Beds N.M.
7- Mono Lake and Bodie ghost town.
8- The Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens.
9- LA County Museum of Art- and LaBrea Tarpits.
10- Griffith Park Observatory and Ferndell.
11- Hollywood Bowl.
And a lot more.
Why shucks- I even went to Disney Land (the year it first opened .
California has more things of beauty than any other COUNTRY I've been to.
It also has 37,000,000 people... AAAAAK!
Charlie

Dec 10, 2011 at 08:51 PM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password