Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

ZeroSteve

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace my Fuji X100 which has been great to me these past 6 months, but I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with the slow autofocus and the lack of focal length options (it's fixed 35mm equiv., FYI). I do have a DSLR which I've been shooting for a few years and I continue to use that, but I need something smaller for the pocket (cargo pants/jacket) and quiet'er than the mirror slap offered by my Nikon

The E-P3 with either VF-2 or VF-3 seems like a good option. I prefer a black E-P3, but it seems VF-3 is only available in silver, so I wonder how that will look...?

Anyway, what bundle should I get? Locally, prices are as follows:

E-P3 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm kit lenses: 1200 ($1600)
E-P3 with 17mm f2.8 pancake: 740 ($990)
E-P3 with 14-42mm kit lens: 799 ($1070)
E-P3 body only: 716 ($960)

I'm a bit all over the place in terms of what I'm shooting, to be honest. I'm used to the 23mm f2 (35mm equiv.) on the X100, and when I'm just out and about with my Nikon I'm using the 35mm f1.8 (52mm equiv.), so I'm guessing the 17mm pancake on E-P3 will be nice. On the other hand, it would probably be nice to have 14-42mm available, but I don't know if the lens is generally too slow? I like blurry backgrounds (bokeh) and a fast lens for indoor shooting, so I'm guessing since m4/3 sensors are smaller than APS-C, that I need something really fast on E-P3 to give me as much creamy bokeh as possible.

It's a jungle regarding the adaptors, I think. Not sure when autofocus will work and not etc. I only have one existing lens with an aperture ring on, the Nikon 50mm f1.8, but I'm guessing it'll only work with manual focus on E-P3, since this lens does not have a built-in motor?

Bottom line: Are the kit lenses for E-P3 so much rubbish that I'd want to replace them sooner rather than later anyway, so I might as well just buy the bundle with 17mm pancake so I have something somewhat-fast and small, and then buy an expensive lens later on?

Thanks

EDIT: Added "body only"-price to the list above.

Edited on Dec 07, 2011 at 08:55 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:44 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

It won't come in a bundle, but you'll likely want to look at the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (it's a micro 4/3rds lens so completely compatible with the EP-3). It's a small, light pancake lens that's quite sharp and gives you some depth of field control. That combined with the mid-range zoom (14-42) would make a good walk around kit.

Anything you adapt (aside from some original 4/3 mount lenses that you can get a specific adapter for) will be manual focus and aperture only.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:51 PM
ZeroSteve

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

formula4speed,

Thanks for your useful reply. I've just added the "body only" price to my list above, which is 716 ($960), so for 24 ($30) more, I can get the 17mm pancake lens, so I assume I might as well go with that and try and sell the pancake later if necessary?

You say the Pana 20mm f1.7 is completely compatible, no need for adapters or anything? It's 100% compatible because of the m4/3 mount? It costs 350 ($470) so that's not too bad.

How's the 40-150mm kit lens, if I buy it separately? I'm thinking it would be nice with plenty of zoom sometimes as well.

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:00 PM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

For $30 I'd personally get the 17mm and try to sell it.

Yes, Panasonic m43 lenses are completely compatible with Olympus m43 bodies. No adapters required and you get full AF and aperture control. Exactly the same as using an Olympus lens.

I've never personally used the 40-150, but I've read it's quite good and very compact for the range it offers.

Here is a good image thread for m43 gear so you can see what people are using and the results with different gear, it could help you narrow down what it is you want.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/928678

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:23 PM
Tom Harpstead
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

ZeroSteve,

You might look to see is the new Panasonic GX-1might fit you needs.

Newer sensor
newer processor
Etc.

You night have to wait for a bit.

I do want to say there is nothing lacking with the E-P3

Thomas

Edited on Dec 07, 2011 at 11:38 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:33 PM
ZeroSteve

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

formula4speed, thanks again! Sounds promising with all the m4/3 lenses compatible

Tom Harpstead, I've just done a quick research on that GX1 and it does seem like a fairly interesting camera. For some weird reason, it's actually cheaper as well. GX1K with 14-42mm kit lens I can get for $845 and the E-P3 with a 14-42mm lens is over $1070. However, a GX1X with 14-42mm kit lens is $1043. I can't see any difference between the GX1K and GX1X other than the lens on "X" seems to be shorter, is that the only difference?

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Harpstead
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

ZeroSteve,

Yes the new panasonic "X" lenses are almost pancake sized. Where as the older similar versions are longer.

Thomas

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:37 PM
ZeroSteve

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

Thanks for the clarification, Tom.

I've had more time to further research and I think E-P3 is just a tiny bit more interesting to me than GX1.

I think I might go with:
* E-P3 with 14-150mm (yes, 14-150mm!) for $1400
* Pana 20mm f1.7 for $470
* VF-2 or VF-3 viewfinder for $230'ish <- I can't imagine shooting without a viewfinder, but I'll probably give it a try first.

I think with the above package, I will have a 20mm pancake for when I need it to be really small and useful in low light, and a 14-150mm for when I just need a "one size fits all" when playing tourist (and the pancake can still go in my other pocket).

For everything else, I still have a bag full of heavy DSLR gear.

Good/bad choice?

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:41 PM
najibs
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

I'd stay away from zooms and stick to primes.

IMO the ultimate micro 4/3 kit is:

Oly 12/2, Leica 25/1.4, Oly 45/1.8

If you're on a budget:

Pan 14/2.5, Pan 20/1.7, Oly 45/1.8

Those 3 lenses can pretty much cover any type of shooting, IMO.

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:59 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

I have not used the 12/2, but have seen images and read reviews and it is an awesome lens. I own the 25/1.4 and the 45/1.8, and those are among the very best lenses I've ever used on ANY camera. The 20/1.7 is also an awesome lens and is much smaller than the 25, but it lacks a little of the magic the 25 exudes.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:11 AM
Qwerty64
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

Get the VF-2 its a lot higher resolution that VF-3, which is meant to be a budget viewfinder.

In terms of lenses, I hear that the kit zoom is pretty good, but aperture wise it's too slow for me. I have the Panasonic 14mm f2.5 and the Olympus 45mm f1.8 and both are brilliant lenses with fast AF. Not really interested in the 20mm as it's a pretty boring focal length for me. Instead I use the cheap but super sharp Olympus OM 28mm f3.5 manual focus which is pretty small as well.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:28 AM
ZeroSteve

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Considering E-P3, but which bundle to get (lenses)?

najibs,
Thanks for your opinion, but I don't want a prime-only solution. I can do that with DSLR I need m4/3 to be more of a light weight solution where I don't have to bring a bag of lenses or stuck my pockets with primes - when I'm in that mood, I take DSLR

Qwerty64,
I've been debating whether to get VF-2 or VF-3. According to reviews I've read, even though VF-2 has higher resolution, in terms of daily use, you won't really feel like you're missing anything with the VF-3. The downside with VF-2 is that it's bigger and bulky and even worse, no lock mechanism and according to Steve Huff, his VF-2 kept coming off, so I think I'll go with the cheaper VF-3 at this point, hoping maybe in a few years they'll make a killer m4/3 with built-in EVF or something like that

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:38 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password