Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · How small can I get with NEX?

formula4speed
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How small can I get with NEX?

This may seem like an odd question, but I don't have access to NEX cameras in person and my knowledge of RF lenses is limited at best so I'm hoping the crowd here can help me. If you want background, you can read the next paragraph, if you just want to browse through you can just answer the question at the end.

I currently own a m43 setup consisting of the G1, 20 1.7, 14-45 and 45-200. It's basically my point and shoot when I don't feel like carrying a full DSLR kit. I think the images out of the G1 & 20 1.7 are pretty good and the size and weight are great for wandering around, even if I don't have photography in mind. I'm considering upgrading to a G3, but the NEX system also looks very impressive, except for the lack of 20 1.7 equivalent which is a big part of why I like m43. I'd like something similar in size, but with greater image quality (don't we all) if possible. This leads me to my question:

What is the smallest lens and NEX body combination I could make that would give me an equivalent field of view between 35-50mm? Preferably f/2.8 or faster and with size considering any necessary adapters.

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:26 PM
thrice
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How small can I get with NEX?

NEX-5N and 35/1.4 Nokton on a metabones adapter. Oops that's 52.5mm equiv... If you want faster than 2.8 I'd have to recommend either a 28mm summicron or a 28/2 Voigtlander Ultron. Of course you can always wait for the 24/1.8 Zeiss, that's what I'd do.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:53 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How small can I get with NEX?

formula4speed wrote:
This may seem like an odd question, but I don't have access to NEX cameras in person and my knowledge of RF lenses is limited at best so I'm hoping the crowd here can help me. If you want background, you can read the next paragraph, if you just want to browse through you can just answer the question at the end.

I currently own a m43 setup consisting of the G1, 20 1.7, 14-45 and 45-200. It's basically my point and shoot when I don't feel like carrying a full DSLR kit. I think the images out of the G1
...Show more

To add to the Nokton 35/1.4, the ZM 35/2.8, Contax G 35, 35 Summicron pre-asph and Skopar 35/2.5 are all small and give you an approximate 50mm equivalent. Things tend to get larger from there as you go wider. None of these options are going to be as thin as the 20/1.7, though.

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:24 PM
Sosua
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How small can I get with NEX?

Its slightly longer, but the 40mm summicron / M-Rokkor F2 is tiny, and very good.

It won't be as wide as your 20 1.7 but it will offer much greater ability to isolate subjects.

The 35 2.5 Skopar pancake is really tiny too and while with the adpator will add another cm or so, it will still be a more 'coat pocket friendly' combo than your G1 and 20 1.7.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:00 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How small can I get with NEX?

The Skopar is a good small choice, although I've seen various reports of corner resolution issues.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:30 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alee18

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How small can I get with NEX?

If you are thinking of size and native mount AF, there is none. The closest is the NEX plus the Zeiss 24f1.8 which is considerably bigger than the Lumix 20f1.7. The next best lens will be the slower 30f3.5 macro. If size and AF are your major consideration, then stick with m43.

Dec 08, 2011 at 01:28 AM
formula4speed
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How small can I get with NEX?

Thanks everyone, I'll look into those lenses. I have some time to think about it all since I think I would want to go for the Nex 7 as I prefer to have a built in EVF.

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:46 PM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How small can I get with NEX?

Love my CZJ 35 f/2.4 on my NEX. Not as small as a Voigtlandler, but very well built, excellent image quality and near macro MFD.

Dec 08, 2011 at 03:03 PM
Jacob D
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How small can I get with NEX?

The Skopar 35/2.5 is a great little lens. It has some blue color shift in the corners but the corner resolution is still pretty good, good enough for landscapes IMO when the lens is stopped down to at least 5.6

Here's a database that I started for the size/weight conscious...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkDLVsAmrk_bdHFRdTktaThNeFFaYXVFOHFES2xCdVE#gid=0

Dec 08, 2011 at 03:26 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password