Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

Smridevan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

Does any one have a recommendation for the best software for correcting lens distortion for the Zeiss 21mm? I tried using the Lightroom 21mm lens profile correction but it doesn't seem to work that well. Does the lens correction matter for images taken by a crop sensor vs full frame? I'm using a crop sensor D90 but will eventually get a full frame camera. Thanks!

Dec 07, 2011 at 12:22 PM
gpop
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

have you looked at PTlens?

Dec 07, 2011 at 12:49 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

I haven't… maybe I'll give that a shot. I was trying to see if there are other options out there.

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:44 PM
Jonas B
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

I like the Proxel Lens Corrector. It works a little differently and you can check it out at proxel.se (and I'm not associated with the guys behind the site).

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:39 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

I believe I happened upon the best solution, very cheap, and one I share with at least some others - do nothing. Minor distortion of this nature is not much more than a talking point, especially for APS-C users - take a look at the distortion graph of this MTF chart, labelled 'Relative Distortion':

http://applications.zeiss.com/C12578620052CA69/0/2D17AD110FC46995C1257864004C6E56/$file/distagon_28_21.pdf

APS-C uses 15mm of the frame to the extreme corners, see how there is no reversal of the line until after that point? You will be hard pressed to even see the distortion it in normal compositions, and it must be said that any such correction as suggested steals some data quality from your image.

Full frame - I have shot a large number of frames on an A900 with the 21mm Distagon and have yet to see more than one or two that I would even think about modifying with post software.

For kicks I tried the ACR6 (LR3) software 'correction' and had to stop myself laughing at the comical dog's dinner it made of the image! One person's 'flaw' is another's 'character', I guess. A lot of people moan about optical vignetting, others add in a little of it to enhance the picture's elements.

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:56 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

lol...interesting idea, philip!

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:59 PM
Mike K
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Best distortion correction software for the 21mm Zeiss lens?

I use PT Lens, which adds the correction profile for the Zeiss 21 integrated during conversion of RAW to TIFF (in Breezebrowser) and is a pretty decent buy at $25. It does the lens distortion conversion of the Samyang 14 as a separate PS step.
http://www.epaperpress.com/ptlens/index.html

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:28 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.