Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

mowensphotogra
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

I'm getting rid of my Canon 200 EG backpack. The walls inside always moved around which obviously don't hold my gear in place.
I'm in the process of switching to Nikon so I know for sure I'll have:
D700
70-200
50 1.8 o 1.4 (not sure yet)
possbily 14-24
sb-900

I want a bag that will keep my gear securely in place and not have to worry about it moving when picked up and carried around.

Sorry if there are other threads about this but I have no clue about this market nor what to search.

-Mike

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:15 PM
mowensphotogra
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

Anyone have any experience with the ThinkTank Streetwalker Harddrive?

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:56 PM
Mr Joe
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

I use the TT Streetwalker Harddrive -- great bag. It'll fit all of your gear and is easy to configure. Instead of the standard waist strap I usually use a TT Pro Speed Belt if the bag is fully loaded. This also gives me the option of using the belt separately with modular pouches when I get to my location (and leave the empty backpack in the car or the hotel room).

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:42 PM
Vaards

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

Well made and perfectly fitting your items?

Only DIY!

Just remembered one Russian blogger who had similar problems and made backpack exactly for his needs (you can translate it with google): http://www.lexa.ru/articles/photopack.html

I have similar problem - Pentax makes tiny limited lenses. I have most of them although bags have huge compartments exactly like for all these terrible Canicon bazookas.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:33 PM
jwasacz

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

The bigger the bag the more crap I put in it and the heavier it gets and the more I curse myself while lugging it around. I picked up a Think Tank Glass Taxi from a member here a few weeks ago. Great bag for just a few lenses, body, and a flash. Restricts me from dragging too much junk along that I won't use.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:45 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

streetwalker harddrive

FStop Loka

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gregfountain
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

+1 on the streetwalker hard drive. You be hard pressed to find a better made bag (there are a few) but for $180ish, it carries a lot of gear and you laptop, balances well, and as Mr. Joe states, is versatile with other TT products. It also comes with a tripos cup built in to the bottom of the bag, and staps that attach to sinch it tight...

Greg

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:46 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

streetwalker: more usable space. carries like a sack of potatoes loaded. additional hip belt (aka: speedbelt) not too functional so pack is for the most part shoulder loaded. tripod attachment works but depth of pack now in feet not inches.

Loka: less padded area. can carry a 13-14" laptop too but a squeeze. under the lid room is limited but can carry more like compressable clothing snacks. overall for me more usable. side strap on area greater can do a 25xx series gitzo preferably 4 section.

Edited on Dec 08, 2011 at 02:11 PM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:27 PM
Celbrett
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

+1 Also have the camera support straps to hang in front of me.

Mr Joe wrote:
I use the TT Streetwalker Harddrive -- great bag. It'll fit all of your gear and is easy to configure. Instead of the standard waist strap I usually use a TT Pro Speed Belt if the bag is fully loaded. This also gives me the option of using the belt separately with modular pouches when I get to my location (and leave the empty backpack in the car or the hotel room).

Dec 08, 2011 at 01:14 PM
ssc45
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

I have the TT streetwalker harddrive. It is a great bag for me because;
1. quality bag
2. holds alot of gear
3. easy to configure
4. provides protection
5. holds laptop
If I am driving, it is with me in my rig. However, it can be a bit heavy to carry and there are better bags to carry. I use it as my mother bag and have smaller bags for when I travel or plan on walking long distance.
Cheers, Steve

Dec 08, 2011 at 03:38 PM
Todd Warnke
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Need a well made bag(backpack)

I have tried a great many backpacks and have settled on a set of two - the TTP Streetwalker HardDrive and the F-Stop Loka. I also have an F-Stop Tilopa that comes out for big trips but is otherwise too large for general use.

The TTP bag is my daily haul as it carries my laptop nicely, mates to the Speed belt and accessories nicely (for urban, event use) and stands up to a lot of abuse. The Loka, as Steve mentions, is lighter and doesn't hold quite as much as the TTP pack, but is perfect for field work, short hikes (2-8 hours) as it carries water nicely, and as storage.

Generally my core gear is divided between the two packs and both are with me or handy at all times, all I need to do is swap body and a lens or two and I'm ready to use whch ever bag fits the moment. That said, if I had to choose one it would be the TTP, but only because of the laptop storage. If I was choosing one and did not have to carry a laptop the Loka would win out.

Peace,

Todd

Dec 08, 2011 at 04:53 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password