Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Choices Choices

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Choices Choices

So, I have permission from my better half to get something I want in terms of photo gear. I'm debating between either a Tamron 180 micro or a Gitzo GT3541XLS tripod.

I need a micro lens with reach and I need a heavier tripod to support my 300 f/2.8. How do I pick between those two?

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:54 AM
MikeW
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Choices Choices

tripod is not much good without a camera & lens sitting on it, the lens can be used without a tripod...simple choice imo. Grab a cheaper tripod that is able to do the job.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:56 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Choices Choices

The old 2-series is not enough? I'd get the lens.

EBH

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:57 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Choices Choices

in my book, 2-series is a solid tripod. (I 've 2x 1-series, don't think I would carry anything heavier but I don't use super-tele anyway and I believe the best tripod is the one that you are willing to take it outside)

I'd get the lens, if the 2-series tripod is not good enough, you will get one with or without permission

2-series and 3-series look similar?

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Choices Choices

3 series is the systematic, and does not look similar, other than the general material finish and of course it has 3 legs.

EBH

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:20 AM
ytwong
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Choices Choices

EB-1 wrote:
3 series is the systematic, and does not look similar, other than the general material finish and of course it has 3 legs.
EBH

Oh, can't change the tripod undetected then...

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:26 AM
gfinlayson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Choices Choices

Go with the Tamron. My other half doesn't keep track of my gear, so the odd upgrade/exchange/acquisition goes largely un-noticed. I'd think a tripod upgrade later would be less noticeable than an additional lens. As long as I'm not bankrupting us, she doesn't really mind too much

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:51 AM
nikt
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Choices Choices

Tripod. We keep putting off these things but I'm a big fan of a really good tripod.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:21 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Choices Choices

Lens, then sell your current tripod and upgrade later.

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:49 AM
LLondon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Choices Choices

Tripod
The lens would be the sexy choice but the tripod will get way more use than you think. Sell the old pod to fund the lens.

Dec 07, 2011 at 11:56 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DGC1
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Choices Choices

There is no substitute for a good tripod.

Dec 07, 2011 at 12:42 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Choices Choices

That's the tripod I use and I highly recommend it. I'd sooner toss my 24-70 over a cliff than leave it behind. Think of it this way - if you're missing shots with the 300 due to inadequate support, then that lens is useless and a waste of money - at least until it has proper support.

I use my 3 series as my "normal" tripod too. It's super with every lens on up to the 300 2.8 (although, that one usually lands on my 5 series). I could go with a smaller, slightly lighter setup, but once you use a good sturdy tripod like that, you won't go back to anything else.

Besides, not sure what other lenses you have, but a cheap set of extension tubes might be a good stop-gap for macros. There is no good substitute for a good tripod.

PS - A tripod like that may very well outlast a lens too - for many it's a once-in-a-lifetime investment. (I'm hard on my stuff, but I still expect to get a good 10-15 years from mine)

Dec 07, 2011 at 01:03 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Choices Choices

Tripod + extension tubes? Depends on if you want to manually focus for macros...

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:51 PM
Tommy_D
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Choices Choices

Tripod and Canon 500D close up lens for your 70-200VR. Best of both worlds.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:37 PM
Steve Perry
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Choices Choices

BlueBomberTurbo wrote:
Tripod + extension tubes? Depends on if you want to manually focus for macros...

Is there any other way? I recently had to check if my macro lens even had AF - I generally just use live view or even the <gasp> the optical viewfinder.

Dec 07, 2011 at 09:06 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Choices Choices

Hehe, nice. I've only got a deprong'd old 55mm F/3.5 Micro AI , and some cheap extension tubes that are surprisingly robust. I trust only LV, and tether to my laptop so I don't have to squint.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:37 PM
nightlinedrive
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Choices Choices

Get the lens! You can always find a cheaper tripod, but not a cheaper lens of good quality.

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:00 PM
zqfmbg
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Choices Choices

Do you already have a tripod? I find using macro lenses to be kind of difficult without one. (The one time I was trying to shoot a bug on a wall with my 200mm f/4 and camera in one hand and a flash in the other made me wish I had a monopod. )

Dec 08, 2011 at 09:19 PM
Still Bill
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Choices Choices

I have that lens. Get the lens. Then get a used (or cheaper new) tripod.

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:45 PM
pbraymond
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Choices Choices

tripod if you shoot the 300 more than macro, otherwise the macro.

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:23 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password