New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · Shutter Blade

dacop
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shutter Blade

All noted. Yes, I still have the blade. I am calling Canon today and setting up a repair. Thanks for all the advice!

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:34 PM
panos.v
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shutter Blade

You say you noted a "plastic" blade. Shutter blades are not plastic, they are metal, usually some alloy/titanium/etc. So that plastic bit of crap you found on the sensor was something else. Maybe it fell off the mirror, maybe it came off the focus screen shims or whatever, but it is not from the shutter.

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:39 PM
hashbaz

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shutter Blade

dacop, were you shooting video or shooting in live view mode? I didn't think a camera could function properly without a shutter blade unless it was in one of these two modes.

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:44 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shutter Blade

panos.v wrote:
You say you noted a "plastic" blade. Shutter blades are not plastic, they are metal, usually some alloy/titanium/etc. So that plastic bit of crap you found on the sensor was something else. Maybe it fell off the mirror, maybe it came off the focus screen shims or whatever, but it is not from the shutter.

Aren't some high end models equipped with carbon fibre or kevlar shutter blades? maybe getting mixed up on that.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:00 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shutter Blade

Here's a video of shutter blades in action:

http://youtu.be/2juLVywOa2M

Also, what does your closed shutter look like with MLU eneabled? You should easily be able to see if a blade is missing.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:26 PM
dacop
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Shutter Blade

Its a Canon EOS-1D MarkiiN

Here is what this thing looks like. Maybe you are right, maybe this is some sort of flange or shim that fell off?

http://photos.imageevent.com/daxop/mustang/blade.jpg

Question, wouldn't I be able to tell if all the shutter blades are there and indeed this is just a flange/shim by lifting up the mirror and seeing if the sensor is covered by these blades?

http://photos.imageevent.com/daxop/mustang/shutter.jpg

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:13 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Shutter Blade

That's a shutter blade. Your second pic is of the first shutter curtain, so the missing blade must be from the second curtain, which can't be seen by lifting the mirror.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:34 AM
Ariel Bravy
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Shutter Blade

lol wow... subscribed to see how this turns out as well!

btw, definitely send it in for service...

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:53 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Shutter Blade

I've gotta say, I'm amazed that you were able to get more shots after the failure...

Especially shots in which you couldn't tell there was a shutter blade missing.

Dec 08, 2011 at 03:00 AM
dacop
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Shutter Blade

Thanks again for everyone's input. I wanted to make sure it was a shutter blade, I am shipping the camera to Canon today.

I was very surprised myself that I was able to continue and not see any difference in the images.

Dec 08, 2011 at 08:46 AM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Shutter Blade

Jefferson

Dec 08, 2011 at 10:14 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Shutter Blade

dacop wrote:
Thanks again for everyone's input. I wanted to make sure it was a shutter blade, I am shipping the camera to Canon today.

I was very surprised myself that I was able to continue and not see any difference in the images.

I guess it depends on what part of the shutter it is , as noted its likely to be the 2nd curtain . and maybe if the leading edge of the 2nd curtain is still there you are not going to see a change in expossure. maybe different shutter speeds would show more over expossure on part of the frame.

Anyway its a moot point as using it any more risks the whole thing crapping out on you and wrecking the sensor , or the filter on the front (but to canon thats one and the same thing.)
If that happens its basicly a write off as a sensor fix on a mk2n would be alot ore than the cost of a good mk2n.

Dec 08, 2011 at 11:16 AM
dacop
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Shutter Blade

Broken Shutter

Canon repair: $302.81

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:29 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Shutter Blade

If you have a good 1D2n, that seems a worthwhile price to bring it "near new". Is that the discounted price for CPS Gold?

Dec 12, 2011 at 01:43 PM
dacop
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Shutter Blade

Not discounted.

Question, does Canon clear the actuation after they replace the shutter?

Dec 15, 2011 at 01:30 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Shutter Blade

dacop wrote:
Not discounted.

Question, does Canon clear the actuation after they replace the shutter?

Don't think they do usually. Maybe if they replace the mirror box and other bits.

It may just be the repair place over here though. I just bought a used one from a new 'tog . He had had most of the internals replace in july (from what he described it was a pretty major rebuild) . He used it a few times since but he had used his pair of mk3's most of the time. I checked the shutter count and it reported 170k .

Maybe he put that many on it , although I very much doubt it. After all his name was not Hammy

It's always a gamble on these things with shutters. You could pick up a body thats had almost no use and the shutter could go tomorrow while you could have one that goes way over the 250k barrier without a problem.

Dec 15, 2011 at 02:18 PM
dacop
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Shutter Blade

Mine had about 200K before it went. I got it back today, so far so good. But all my settings were wiped out. Everything is at factory default.

Dec 16, 2011 at 11:09 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Shutter Blade

Brand new camera then!

Hopefully all is well.

Dec 17, 2011 at 04:17 PM
dudemanppl
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Shutter Blade

You guys do know how robust cameras are right? A shutter blade won't EVER knock out your mirror (what the hell are you smoking) and not even touch the AF sensor. Probably wouldn't scratch the sensor either, that thing is tough.

But HOLY CRAP YOU PULLED OUT A SHUTTER BLADE WHAT.

Dec 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Shutter Blade

dudemanppl wrote:
You guys do know how robust cameras are right? A shutter blade won't EVER knock out your mirror (what the hell are you smoking) and not even touch the AF sensor.

I was using a little artistic license, AKA hyperbole...with a Shillelagh for added emphasis.

And, I don't smoke.

Dec 18, 2011 at 12:35 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.