Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2011 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

vovkinson wrote:
I wonder if I'll have to sell my house to get M10
And I hope M10 will be soon..

Or kidney..

It was like "ppl will upgrade to M10 and I will be hopefully able to get M9 cause I dont have interest in CMOS based camera anyway" .

Dec 07, 2011 at 04:11 PM
michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

For me the M9 has little appeal because close up shots are a significant percentage of what I like to photograph.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:17 PM
michaelwatkins
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

uhoh7 wrote:
You act as if the M9 is unreachable. That is changing--fast. I see them go for 5200.

Even if the M9 were priced at ~ 2K$ today, I'd probably have to think about it before buying one. I want a hard working camera that doesn't need to take a sabbatical to Solms once in a while. It may be that my perception of the temperament of these cameras is skewed by a narrow slice of users represented on forums like this, but they do seem to be more temperamental. If spending up big time means adopting a camera that needs regular visits to the spa I'm not really interested. (please no hate mail, I say this in jest).

That said a 2K M9 (edit: maybe, maybe, even a 3 or 4K M9) would attract my dollars because today there's no where else today I can usefully put rangefinder lenses in front of a 135 sized sensor and I'd really like to get back the field of view nature intended for my rangefinder lenses without re-dedicating myself to film.

Canon and Nikon came into being as an alternative to leica--too bad they forgot all about it. Sony is now using leica--at first by accident, to propel itself into the top tier. Total victory is right in front of them--but godzilla does not have the best eyesight

Quote of the week!

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:12 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

denoir wrote:
The thing is that one can get addicted to how things look at 100% even if if it has no real impact. Several of my all time favorite shots have slight deficiencies due to either camera shake or the use of a weaker lens. And it makes no difference whatsoever in practice. It works for the web and it works in large print. Only very close inspection - that regular people never bother with anyway - show any type of problem.

The only really good argument for it is IMO future proofing your shots. I made a post about it here
...Show more

Great points. Have you had a chance to try a 5N with an EVF yet? I'm going back and forth between whether the 5N's tilt EVF will trump the other ergonomic advantages of the 7. With both the tilt LCD and tilt EVF, the little 5N is hilariously similar to working with a Hasselblad. In fact, I had them both out side by side the other day and was marveling at both the similarities and differences. The Hasselblad looks massive next to the little 5N.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:50 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

slungu wrote:
Huh, you are putting such an expensive lens in front of a 500EUR camera ?
No, really, I played a lot with the idea of getting a M8 in order to get to a smaller system with great lenses, but just at the right time sony came up with the NEX. I have learned that investing in lenses is a better idea than investing in cameras, at least for in the past ten years, so I am clearly supporting the idea .

Regards, Stefan

PeterGlaso wrote:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7033/6471121347_18a1bec48d_b.jpg

NEX-5n+ 50 Lux.

And this clearly proofs the idea in my book.

denoir wrote:
The thing is that one can get addicted to how things look at 100% even if if it has no real impact. Several of my all time favorite shots have slight deficiencies due to either camera shake or the use of a weaker lens. And it makes no difference whatsoever in practice.

I agree. I guess we (thinking of me in the first place) are too much obsessed with gear technicalities most of the time. Lately I have been more and more appreciating the overall look in the images and the drawing style of lenses. With all that said - long live the alt GEAR forum!

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:56 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

douglasf13 wrote:
Great points. Have you had a chance to try a 5N with an EVF yet? I'm going back and forth between whether the 5N's tilt EVF will trump the other ergonomic advantages of the 7. With both the tilt LCD and tilt EVF, the little 5N is hilariously similar to working with a Hasselblad. In fact, I had them both out side by side the other day and was marveling at both the similarities and differences. The Hasselblad looks massive next to the little 5N.

No, unfortunately not - and I don't have the 5N any more. I would be really curious to see a state of the art EVF.

I agree with you on the similarities with a Hassy with a waist level viewfinder. I made the same association when shooting a NEX from a tripod for the first time. There is a certain charm to it and if Sony comes out with a FF version, I might use it as my primary camera for tripod based shooting (the M9 sucks to use from a tripod big time).

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:01 PM
Paul Yi
• • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

It really is a mystery how Canon and Nikon missed out on this mirrorless camera market...

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:12 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

Paul Yi wrote:
It really is a mystery how Canon and Nikon missed out on this mirrorless camera market...

they're following a long illustrious history of market leaders hoping that if they ignore emerging new markets/technology that they'll go away.

Dec 07, 2011 at 08:31 PM
Tomser
• •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

najibs wrote:
Even if the 5N has better quality, Id stilll take an M9. With Leica it's all about the user experience.

Not just saying that to be confrontational - but as a former RF user , and owning Nex cameras now, I'd rate the Nex 2/5 in user experience, and the M9 0/5 .

RF is arguably the least usable and most error prone finder design ever made .

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:44 PM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

I guess it is to not totally eliminate the market of competitors. Imagine how the market will shift if a Canon APS-H mirrorless is being launched tomorrow that is 1/3 the price of M9.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

thrice
• • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

As an M9 owner who is able to calibrate his own camera, and a frequent NEX5N user, I'd rate the M9 as 4/5 and NEX and 3/5 (once the menu is configured properly).

I find RF fantastic for anything with people or using filters (polarisers are a little tricky though). Obviously you're aware of lens length limitations etc.

The NEX-7 gets very close to being a 5/5 for me...

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:49 PM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

thrice wrote:

This is what I'm debating. I generally shoot the 5N in M mode, or S mode with auto ISO. Since all of my lenses have aperture rings, the cool looking TriNavi will save me only one occasional button push when shooting (one push to either get to ISO or exp. comp depending on the mode I'm in,) and I'm not sure that it's worth loosing a tilt EVF and touchscreen for that.

p.s. for those that don't know of this cool NEX trick, if you're using a lens with an aperture ring, S mode with auto ISO is a great workaround for the lack of auto ISO in M mode, as it essentially does the same thing.

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:58 PM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

thrice wrote:
As an M9 owner who is able to calibrate his own camera, and a frequent NEX5N user, I'd rate the M9 as 4/5 and NEX and 3/5 (once the menu is configured properly).

I find RF fantastic for anything with people or using filters (polarisers are a little tricky though). Obviously you're aware of lens length limitations etc.

So Daniel, I guess you have one, eh? Otherwise how could you say at this point? Tell us more

As to 5D and Leica R. Is there any R lens superior to M counterpart? Forget close focus a sec. Maybe there are, but R is second best, sorry. Now I better run for cover, hehe. Truthfully, I know very little about anything and even less about the Rs except they are too friggin big.

Anytime I can get a small compact lens with as good or better quality as a much bigger one, I'd rather have it. 5D + leica R is nice, but I will take 5n + leica M if I can have what i want. The 5D is full frame and the Nex cannot go there but that is irelevant because I want a coat pock camera and the 5D cannot go there. I want to shoot old classic glass, the 5D cannot go there. There really is not much of a comparison between 5D and 5n. In their own way they each are far superior to the other.

I do hope we will start seeing more from the lucky lux owners in the quest for "one lens" at whatever fov. Somebody was implying that edges were not the lux strong suit--I can't remember if he was refering to the 35 or 50---but I found that hard to believe.

The leica 28/2 seems like it was made for the 5n. Feels fantastic on the camera and seems to do edges very very well. OOF render also superb, and hawks allows you to see more if you want. The hated hood is fine, looks great, but of course it doesn't really need a hood--and it goes in your pocket very nice without one. You can walk out the door with the 28/2 and a CV 75/2.5 and never look back. You don't need a bag at all in the winter with that minimalist set. But add two more, ZM18 or cv15, and your 50 of choice and you are again VERY discreet, and extremely well armed. In terms of stealth and light travel the 5n kills the m9.

The nex will adjust like few other cameras to whatever gear you have, but it truly excels with small handpicked lenses.

At this moment nothing on earth beats the n5 at being very small, and very sharp. In that respect the only other camera you could consider would be the GXR---which to be fair might be better with M glass.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:01 AM
douglasf13
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

uhoh7 wrote:
But add two more, ZM18 or cv15, and your 50 of choice and you are again VERY discreet, and extremely well armed....

That's essentially what I do with the 5N, except I can't drop $4K on the 28/2, so I use various 35mm lenses instead. I'm using the CV 15/4.5, some 35mm lens, ZM 50/1.5 and occasionally bring the Contax G 90. Much of the time, I just bring the 5N and a 35mm lens.

Dec 08, 2011 at 12:29 AM
JimBuchanan
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

uhoh7 wrote:
As to 5D and Leica R. Is there any R lens superior to M counterpart?

The leica 28/2 seems like it was made for the 5n. Feels fantastic on the camera and seems to do edges very very well.

From my point of view the only R lenses that are superior to M lenses are any R lens longer than 135mm. The ones that have the apparent same lens design and formula, to my knowledge are 75/1.4, 90/2.8 latest, 90/2.0 APO. I guess a case could be made for the late 19mm R Elmarit, since there is no M lens in that focal length.

That 28 Summicron on the 5N sounds pretty nice, with corner resolution and minimal color shift. Any 100% crops?

Dec 08, 2011 at 01:25 AM
Ataboy
• • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

There are different aspects of "superior". Summilux-M 50 ASPH is superior to Summilux-R 50 E60 as it has smoother bokeh and less CA wide open, but I still prefer the rendering by the R version and I do think it has slight edge in center sharpness too. And I like rendering by the Contax Zeiss 35/1.4 somewhat more than Summilux-M 35/1.4 ASPH. It's a matter of taste. What I don't like is the size, esp. with NEX adapter, and how badly they balance on a small camera like NEX...

Dec 08, 2011 at 02:43 AM
Jacob D
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

Jealous of your 28 Cron Charlie

I could make a single lens kit with that. I completely agree with you that the 5N is sweet for compact size, and light weight. So far my kit for backpacking is: 5N + CV 35/2.5 + CV 90/3.5. If the 75/2.5 took a 39mm filter I would have gone that route.

I have the 12/5.6 and 21/4 and thinking about finding homes for both and picking up a 15 instead to complete my trio. I'm just trying to evaluate the 12 vs. 15. The 21/4 is a nice little lens, but not quite as nice as the 35/2.5 .... all of them are tiny though (well, except the 90, but at least it's light!)

This would closely mimic my Canon focal lengths (24L, 35L, 135L) which on the 5D make for a great setup, awesome in low light, but too damn heavy to take backpacking! I border on ultralight, last time my minimal camera gear was 30% of the weight I was carrying... never again

Dec 08, 2011 at 05:31 AM
uhoh7
• • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

douglasf13 wrote:
except I can't drop $4K on the 28/2.

No need--2800 is plenty

Though iso 800, this shot gives idea of sharpness, Jim

I never really understood these little uber lenses---I thought they were mostly hype.

As usual I had the wrong idea.

You just pray you don't drop it. The CV 28/3.5 actually put out very strong today in landscape tests---right to the sides to my shock--only the deepest corners showed some fuzz. I think the secret was f/8. I might hold on to that one for the motorbike and daylight hardship--of course I'm more likely to spill a drink on the cron.

Black dog test:

Dec 08, 2011 at 06:22 AM
Alee18

p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Nex 5N vs Leica M9

douglasf13 wrote:
This is what I'm debating. I generally shoot the 5N in M mode, or S mode with auto ISO. Since all of my lenses have aperture rings, the cool looking TriNavi will save me only one occasional button push when shooting (one push to either get to ISO or exp. comp depending on the mode I'm in,) and I'm not sure that it's worth loosing a tilt EVF and touchscreen for that.

p.s. for those that don't know of this cool NEX trick, if you're using a lens with an aperture ring, S mode with auto ISO is a great workaround
...Show more

+1

I love using the S mode and auto ISO in order to get 1/3 stop ISO range like 125, 160 etc. Do not understand why manual ISO is incremental by 1 stop.

Dec 08, 2011 at 07:23 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password