Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Fast 50 with good MFD

michael49
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Fast 50 with good MFD

I've been shooting more often with MF glass on my 5D. I'm looking for a fast 50mm with a close MFD. The Zeiss 50mm f/2 macro comes to mind, but ideally I'm looking for something small and, if possible, less expensive. I'd like at least f/2.8, but f/2 would be better. Any suggestions?

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:12 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · Fast 50 with good MFD

The OM 50/2 should fit the bill. If you're willing to go to 60, either the Leica or Contax Zeiss Macros are fantastic.

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:15 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Fast 50 with good MFD

The OM 50/2 is one of my favorite 50s. It's a fantastic lens all around.

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:29 PM
Mirek Elsner
• • •
p.1 #4 · Fast 50 with good MFD

I have the 50MP and I'm happy with it. I suppose you could use it without the supplied lens hood and reduce the size - the front element is recessed more than 1 inch deep already. I think the size is not too bad, but definitely larger than usual 50mm lens...

Did you look at Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2.0? MFD is 1.25" and it comes with dedicated close up lens that reduces the MFD to .8".

Dec 06, 2011 at 09:31 PM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Fast 50 with good MFD

Thanks for the input, the OM 50 f/2 is one I hadn't considered, looks good, but its a pricey little bugger. The Leica 60 f/2.8 would be amazing, I'm sure.

Any other suggestions?

Dec 06, 2011 at 10:31 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Fast 50 with good MFD

Canon Compact macro not a bad little lens.Very sharp, 1:2 Macro, and the focus in low light is better than the Canon 50 f1.4 because of the built in lens hood by design.

The MFD on the Rokkor 58 f1.2 is 2ft.
-Jim

Dec 07, 2011 at 12:16 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Fast 50 with good MFD

Jim Schemel wrote:
Canon Compact macro not a bad little lens.Very sharp, 1:2 Macro, and the focus in low light is better than the Canon 50 f1.4 because of the built in lens hood by design....

Thanks, good suggestion and its priced right.

Dec 07, 2011 at 01:05 AM
obik
• •
p.1 #8 · Fast 50 with good MFD

michael49 wrote:
Thanks, good suggestion and its priced right.

Yeah, but the Canon compact macro isn't fast--f2.5. The Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar is an incredible lens if f2 is fast enough for you and you have $1300 in your pocket. It's very sharp wide open and performance is good across the frame. Only the extreme corners are noticably soft, andd unfortunately they don't seem to ever sharpen up.

The Zeiss does flare worse than the Canon 1.4, both veiling flare when shooting into lights wide open (doesn't bother me too much) and ugly purple ghosts when shooting with lights just out of frame stopped down (bothers me a lot).

The MFD on the Zeiss is nice--with the Canon 1.4 I always found myself trying to shoot things that were 2 or 3" within its MFD.

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

denoir
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Fast 50 with good MFD

obik wrote:
Only the extreme corners are noticably soft, andd unfortunately they don't seem to ever sharpen up.

They should sharpen up beyond f/5.6

100% Crops:

I couldn't really find a better shot as I have not been shooting all that many planar subjects with the 50 MP.

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:37 AM
obik
• •
p.1 #10 · Fast 50 with good MFD

That looks better than the corners on my copy do at f8. With my copy the corners are still slightly softer than the center even at f11. I haven't shot stopped further down than that.

Dec 07, 2011 at 02:50 AM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Fast 50 with good MFD

obik wrote:
Yeah, but the Canon compact macro isn't fast--f2.5. The Zeiss 50mm Makro-Planar is an incredible lens if f2 is fast enough for you and you have $1300 in your pocket. It's very sharp wide open and performance is good across the frame. Only the extreme corners are noticably soft, andd unfortunately they don't seem to ever sharpen up.

The Zeiss does flare worse than the Canon 1.4, both veiling flare when shooting into lights wide open (doesn't bother me too much) and ugly purple ghosts when shooting with lights just out of frame stopped down (bothers me a lot).

The MFD on
...Show more

That's true but he said he would like at least f2.8 / f2.5 has that beat.
-Jim

Dec 07, 2011 at 03:24 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · Fast 50 with good MFD

I have a Leica R 50 summicron and an Elpro close up lens for it that works very well for close up work. I find it a great all around lens.

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:02 AM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Fast 50 with good MFD

Another vote for the 50 MP!

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:56 AM
ManWearPants
• • •
p.1 #14 · Fast 50 with good MFD

With a bit of compromise, the OM 50/3.5 macro is probably the smallest and cheapest. You don't get them all in one.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:05 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Fast 50 with good MFD

I have the Leica R 60mm and the Canon 50/2.5, and all things considered, I'd rather have the Canon if I could only have one. The AF and full exif are big assets. Both have very good IQ with the edge going to the Leica. Price: no contest -- the Canon.

Dec 07, 2011 at 06:10 AM
Piotr_P
• •
p.1 #16 · Fast 50 with good MFD

Best 50mm MF macro lens in my opinion C/Y Makro-Planar 60mm f2.8 (1:1 version). Good and cheap are Zeiss Jena Pancolar 50mm f1.8(35cm mfd) and even better when good copy of the Meyer/Pentacon 50mm f1.8(look for MC, 33cm mfd)

Dec 07, 2011 at 10:23 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password