Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

wilsocn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

I got the Canon lens a few days ago to replace my old 75-300mm lens and there is a big difference in weight obviously. I have always used the shoulder strap and hiked with the camera at my side but I was wondering if this is still ok with the new lens? I have a T3i and I would guess that there is a significant difference in build quality between my camera and more professional models.

Will the weight of the new lens place too much strain on the contact points or the camera body itself or should it be safe to keep putting it over my shoulder while the strap is attached to the camera body?

Thanks

Dec 05, 2011 at 01:29 PM
JohnBrose
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

You might want to get a strap that attaches to the lens like in the tripod ring.

Dec 05, 2011 at 01:35 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

It shouldn't be any problem at all. It's a lightweight compared to the 70-200/2.8L IS II and 28-300/3.5-5.6L IS lenses that I carry that way for extended periods (up to fours, typically). I use 1.5" Domke Gripper straps for this.

IMO, any EF lens that doesn't have its own strap lugs should be OK to carry by the camera strap lugs, on any EOS camera. OTOH, I use pro bodies. If you're still worried about it, why not call Canon and ask them?

Dec 05, 2011 at 04:16 PM
wilsocn
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

Thanks for the help, guys. I kept searching around I guess most people do just use their camera strap it seems.

Dec 05, 2011 at 08:35 PM
hfgarris
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

I use a R-Strap rather than conventional shoulder strap, and I clamp it to the tripod mount when using the 100-400L or the 70-200L f/2.8, rather than clamping it to the camera as I normally do. I think it carries much better that way and has better balance when walking, but keep in mind that the R-Strap may position it differently at the hip than a shoulder strap. I am sure the camera strap lugs, and the lens-mount itself will carry the weight, but I just didn't like the way the lens swung around while walking when the attachment point was at the camera.

-howard

Dec 05, 2011 at 08:44 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

Lens strap (for 50D).
No problem.
I must say, however, that I am usually walking around holding the lens or have it in a good backpack style camera bag, with some other lenses or another body.
Scott

Dec 05, 2011 at 08:46 PM
jeraldcook
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

JohnBrose wrote:
You might want to get a strap that attaches to the lens like in the tripod ring.

I wouldn't worry about using the shoulder strap on any body with a magnesium frame (50D, 5D, 1D). However, since the T3i is a plastic body I'd be worried about a failure during a hard bounce or the like.

If it was my camera and lens, I'd find a way to mount the strap to the lens.

Dec 05, 2011 at 08:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

jcolwell wrote:
It shouldn't be any problem at all. It's a lightweight compared to the 70-200/2.8L IS II and 28-300/3.5-5.6L IS lenses that I carry that way for extended periods (up to fours, typically). I use 1.5" Domke Gripper straps for this.

IMO, any EF lens that doesn't have its own strap lugs should be OK to carry by the camera strap lugs, on any EOS camera. OTOH, I use pro bodies. If you're still worried about it, why not call Canon and ask them?

100-400 is not that much lighter than the 70-200/2.8 IS II, but the 28-300 is crazy heavy for the size. The first time I picked one up I could hardly believe it. I would be a bit concerned about the 100-400 swinging around unless the zoom mechanism is tightly set.

EBH

Dec 05, 2011 at 11:25 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Canon 100-400mm weight when using shoulder strap?

EB-1 wrote:
... I would be a bit concerned about the 100-400 swinging around unless the zoom mechanism is tightly set.

EBH

Yes. I generally remember to tighten the zoom lock on my 28-300L. Otherwise, it gets long enough to trip you!

P.S. I may have overunderexaggerated a bit; the 70-200/2.8L IS II is only a tad heavier than the 100-400L, but they're definitely in the same weight class.

Dec 06, 2011 at 06:44 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.