Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

PaulCiura

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

Hello all,

Looking to upgrade to the next level of camera. Would love some input from you.

Quick history first.

Bought my first SLR a little over a year ago. Went with Canon T2i and 18-55 kit lens. I used Canons point and shoot prior to that, so buying another Canon was natural progression at that time. Instantly fell in love with photography (who doesn't?).

I sold the kit lens and got the 24-105 f/4. Decided to stop there. I did not invest any more money in to glass knowing that later on I might want to go to a Nikon body. I have learned a ton of info in the last year.

I consider myself an advanced hobbyist and I feel that I'm now ready to move forward to the next camera body.

Originally I was thinking of 5DMII, but I am tempted to go to Nikon (edited for the sake of getting actual feedback). I am not married to neither brand at the moment.

I will only be able to get 1 body and 1 lens (not a kit lens), keeping the T2i for my wife/kids. I am thinking of Nikon D300s with the Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM.

I am very much in to photowalking, landscapes and portrait shooting (specially now that it's cold outside). Haven't gotten in to sports stuff yet. One thing that is for sure not on my radar is weddings, just not my thing.

With all that in mind, is there anything else that would be recommended instead of what I have currently picked out? I am looking at this as an investment and not an expense. The cost of these 2 items is right about the budget that I am allocating for this.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Paul.

Edited on Dec 05, 2011 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions

Dec 05, 2011 at 04:21 PM
jefflee
• • •
p.1 #2 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

I'd consider a D7000 and a used 17-55 nikkor.

Dec 05, 2011 at 04:40 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #3 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

I am tempted to go to Nikon seeing as it's the preferred choice of the pros.

Good thinking! I chose Canon for the same reason...

John

Dec 05, 2011 at 05:05 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

Paul, 24's not very wide on the 1.5 croppers. As mentioned above, the 17-55 f2.8 will be your best DX "investment"
They've shown up recently on our B&S for as low as $815/$925....it's easily worth $1000, especially to anyone who's had one.

Dec 05, 2011 at 05:10 PM
mark petri
• • •
p.1 #5 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

Paul, as an owner of both systems - the 5d mark II is close to the d700 build wise and close to the D3x in terms of IQ. I would disagree "most pros use nikon" - pros use a number of systems and depending on what the genre is, some more use nikon vs canon and vice versa. Also the 5dII is FF vs the nikons you mentioned at DX - thus not apples to apples in any sense of the imagination. One last consideration - if you're considering what pros use, they normally don't stick a sigma lens on whatever brand they using. Match the best glass you can afford with whatever body you end up purchasing.

Based on your description, either the canon 7d or a nikon D7000 would be more than up to the task. Pick up either brand (nikon or canon) and perhaps start w/ a 50mm prime. If you want a zoom, pick the best one you can afford from the brand of body you purchased.

Dec 05, 2011 at 05:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PaulCiura

p.1 #6 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

BluesWest, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Dec 05, 2011 at 05:17 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

Just get a current Canon body and keep your 24-105 if it has suited your style. Would that work for you? Of course, the grass is always greener on the other side but it is "camera work" that will help you to improve your pictures. What is it that is not "getting done" with your current kit? Upgrades are expensive.

Dec 05, 2011 at 05:48 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #8 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

jefflee wrote:
I'd consider a D7000 and a used 17-55 nikkor.

+1

Dec 05, 2011 at 05:53 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #9 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

d7000 and the 17-55 can cover many, many shooting situations.

Dec 05, 2011 at 05:56 PM
PaulCiura

p.1 #10 · Moving from Canon to Nikon - have a question

Thank You to those that contributed. No need for further replies to this thread.

Dec 05, 2011 at 07:37 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password