Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Is there any esay user way to lubricate the 500/4 IS? The rotating tripod collar is not good. I really need to use the lens soon and shipping/receipt to/from Canon would be very risky and problematic with my travel schedule. Thanks for any advice.

EBH

Dec 04, 2011 at 05:16 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #2 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Have not seen one up close, but maybe some white graphite?

Jefferson

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:40 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

EB-1 wrote:
Is there any esay user way to lubricate the 500/4 IS? The rotating tripod collar is not good. I really need to use the lens soon and shipping/receipt to/from Canon would be very risky and problematic with my travel schedule. Thanks for any advice.

EBH

Do you know anyone that works in industry?

Drummon corp makes a full line of lubes. At my job we carry white lithium, graphite, non-flammable penatrating oil, engage, clean lube, and about 10 other lubricants.

If you're only lubing a tripod collar, I'd use clean lube. It's safe in food service, has like no odor, wipes away easily, and I wouldn't think would damage anything. Not sure what the "comparable" product would be at a store, but look up Drummon Clean Lube (or Lawson Clean Lube).

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

But how do you get to it, or is major disassembly required?

EBH

Dec 04, 2011 at 09:40 PM
iammikie
• •
p.1 #5 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

When it does not turn freely it is usually the bearings. Take a look at this post, it gets into the 500/4 somewhere in there:

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=195218&p=1909697&hilit=500+bearings#p1909697

Dec 04, 2011 at 09:51 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=27621

There is a discussion of the 500 here with Duane Burlenson, not real specific, but may be useful.

Jefferson

Dec 04, 2011 at 10:08 PM
scalesusa
• • • •
p.1 #7 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

The ball bearings in the collar can be troublesome, they may need to be replaced. Hopefully, its a simple lube, but many users find out its more serious. Get it cleaned ASAP, and hopefully it will not develop into something more serious.

Here is a thread on the ball bearing issues.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=27621

Good Luck.

Dec 05, 2011 at 12:09 AM
GeneO
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=208884

Dec 05, 2011 at 01:20 AM
Jeff Donald
• • • •
p.1 #9 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Buy some Molybdenum Disulfide in powder form. It has a very low coefficient of friction, doesn't migrate easily in heat and can be injected into tight spaces with a syringe.

Dec 05, 2011 at 01:26 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Yikes, that is not good. Obviously I should have had it serviced late last year. What are the chances that it will seize up completely in 2-3 weeks of use? I'm thinking it may be better to keep using it than have Canon start service and then fail to come through in time due to parts or slow timing. Does anyone have experience with Canon service in the winter holiday season? I'm not a photographer, so I would not get any special service.

Unfortunately that lens seems to no longer be available so it is not a simple matter of buying another one.

EBH

Dec 05, 2011 at 02:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #11 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

EB-1 wrote:
... I'm not a photographer ...
EBH

Well, that finally answers all of the lingering questions in my mind I had about you

Dec 05, 2011 at 06:11 AM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

EB_1, I think you mean pro, right? I wouldn't think that they would hold back on you, since it is afterall an expensive as hell lens. I think even if you're not CPS, you'll get taken care of.

See bearings go bad from contaminates and friction, or lack of maintenance. A lot of times, you don't know that you've got to oil your bearings, until your already dicked.

Dec 05, 2011 at 12:41 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #13 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

EB-1 wrote:
Yikes, that is not good. Obviously I should have had it serviced late last year. What are the chances that it will seize up completely in 2-3 weeks of use? I'm thinking it may be better to keep using it than have Canon start service and then fail to come through in time due to parts or slow timing. Does anyone have experience with Canon service in the winter holiday season? I'm not a photographer, so I would not get any special service.

Unfortunately that lens seems to no longer be available so it is not a simple matter of
...Show more

become a cps gold or better member and it should be done in a week. i just sent in 3 items on a monday and received them back on friday. you also get 30% off. sounds like a no brainer to me

Dec 05, 2011 at 01:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

EB-1 wrote:
I'm not a photographer, so I would not get any special service.

Nothing wrong with that. I am not a plumber, nor an actor, nor a psychiatrist etc...

The other question would be why a non-photographer would wanna own a lens such as 500 f/4 ?
Well, even here there are some possible answers:
* lens collecting
* investment
* attention getter when carrying the lens in a public place.
Nothing wrong with that either.

Dec 05, 2011 at 09:14 PM
Tapeman
• • •
p.1 #15 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

I am not a plumber, but I know: cold on the right, hot on the left, and shit dosen't run uphill.

Never have had to lube a lens!

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

It looks like I'm screwed. Canon says 10 business days and with repair approval and shipping it might not make it. They won't allow a walk-in and ship out return or vice versa either.

EBH

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:22 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Rent one, add the cost to expenses, (or some % of them), send yours in...

Maybe?

Jefferson

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:43 AM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Borrow one of PetKals', I think he has two

Jefferson

Dec 06, 2011 at 01:48 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Jefferson wrote:
Borrow one of PetKals', I think he has two

Jefferson

Not any longer.....I sold my 500 f/4.5L almost a year ago.
Now, had Canon not postponed the 500 II release, then I would have had two 500s by year end again.
However, if the postponement didn't take place, then perhaps EBH would have had his very own 500 II.
Some of us have learned the hard way not to be selling our existing stuff in anticipation of new products.

Dec 06, 2011 at 03:31 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · 500/4 IS Needs Lube

Well sure, I expected to have the 500/4 IS II by now as well.

EBH

Dec 06, 2011 at 04:09 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password