Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Gyrine
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

I have an excellent 135/2.8 lens that I want to sell. I originally thought it was an AI lens but now I have my doubts so I don't want to sell it unless I can really verify. If it is Pre-AI, can someone tell me where to have it converted? The glass is pristine. Thought you could tell from the rear view image what kind of mount this may be. Thanks,
Kevin
The serial# is 438736

Canon 135/2.8 AI? or Pre-AI?

135/2.8

Dec 04, 2011 at 02:12 AM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

It's an AI lens since the rim on the aperture ring has tabs on it to tell the camera what the aperture is. If the rim was smooth all the way around it would be a pre-AI lens. Looks like a nice lens.

John

Dec 04, 2011 at 02:17 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

It is AI (or perhaps an AI conversion given the box). Pre-AI lenses did not have the two hollow slots in the coupling. You can also see the aperture coupling in the black plastic and the aperture tang. Anyway, it will work on a modern camera if that is what matters.

EBH

Dec 04, 2011 at 02:19 AM
mikerfns
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

It is AI ... now.

Originally, it was a pre-AI 'K' lens (final pre-AI series with rubber focusing grip). It has been converted to AI with a factory AI conversion kit.

Dec 04, 2011 at 02:33 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

I came across this series of photos that demonstrate changes made from non-AI to AI'd to AI to AI-s with brief description of each. It is worth checking out.

Nikon Manual Focus Lens Versions

And yes, it is an AI lens that will be very happy on a DSLR.

Dec 04, 2011 at 02:35 AM
yossarian123
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

mikerfns wrote:
It is AI ... now.

Originally, it was a pre-AI 'K' lens (final pre-AI series with rubber focusing grip). It has been converted to AI with a factory AI conversion kit.

ding-ding, we have a winner. Looks like it was converted to AI at some point (probably after the wild pack of dogs had a go at the box).

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html#135

http://www.destoutz.ch/lens_135mm_f2.8_440890.html

Dec 04, 2011 at 03:21 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

mikerfns wrote:
It is AI ... now.

This is my pre-AI "K" 135 (with the M closeup tube)
....note it has only 3 rows of ribs on the focusing barrel
There were more than one version of the pre-AI K

.....OP's is the COSMETIC update of the Q, not one of the later OPTICAL updates

The later "NEW" K (as identified in the serial number spread-sheet) has the same optical design and build as the later AI/AIS...but NOT the AI aperture ring nor the AIS mount

What OP has is the AI'd K-cosmetic update of the earlier Q
...this is the earlier consmetic version
...an AI'd Q.C (C for NIC coating)....this is an earlier optical design...still a good lens...
...note the similarity of the BUILD to OP's... not just the cosmetic similarity to the K (though it likely has NIC)

QC by kitaflix, on Flickr

Edited on Dec 04, 2011 at 05:48 AM · View previous versions

Dec 04, 2011 at 04:01 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Hmm. It seems that the later ones a better optical system with 5 elements rather than 4.

EBH

Dec 04, 2011 at 04:22 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Here's a shot taken with the Q.C recently..

And here's the 100% crop

IMG_3473RFF42Kva by kitaflix, on Flickr

I think OP will be happy...

Dec 04, 2011 at 04:29 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Gyrine
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Thanks everyone. The lens and glass are pristine. Not so the box but it contains the foam inside that keeps that lens in such fine shape. This lens belongs to a 95 yr old WWII vet tht I am friends with. He asked me to sell his gear since it just sits in his spare room in the home. I contemplated keeping it since I've been considering switching to nikon but given prices I can't do that right now so I'm going to list it on buy/sell board. Thanks for your help.

Dec 04, 2011 at 02:00 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

In the interests of accuracy, it would be best to describe it as an 'Early Ai' version of the 135/2.8 (four-element version). Such accuracy may not matter to the average classified-ad buyer however.

Dec 04, 2011 at 08:56 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Keith B. wrote:
In the interests of accuracy, it would be best to describe it as an 'Early Ai' version of the 135/2.8 (four-element version). Such accuracy may not matter to the average classified-ad buyer however.

OP's lens IS NOT AN AI LENS....NOR IS IT AN EARLY AI LENS....
AI lenses have more than just an AI aperture ring....they have external as well as internal modifications in construction and very often (though not always) an improved optical formula....

While optical formula may not be an issue, the build might very well be....
I think it would be best to identify this lens as:

"...the pre-AI optical formula Q.C series 135/2.8 lens. It is the original optical version and the larger and heavier construction (6 ounces/170 grams heavier than the lighter and more compact K and AI/AIS Nikkors that Nikon released later).

"This transitional 135/2.8 Q.C version has NIC coating and updated AI cosmetics: black barrels and the ribbed focusing rubber ring found on the later AI-optic lens series. This particular lens was further modified with the factory replacement AI aperture ring making it compatible with bodies that require the AI aperture ring."

It should be noted that many prefer the larger heavier build and the wider/longer focusing barrel with its five rows of ribs....vs the three rows found on the smaller AI version.

Dec 05, 2011 at 06:15 AM
Oosty
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

From http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html , per the serial number this lens is a K (135/2.8 430001 - 463210 - Jun 75 - Mar 76) - but, as has been said earlier the conversion appears to have been done using the Nikon kit. It also has the "ears" with two holes that were required for it to register on AI cameras.

It looks like a beauty.

Dec 05, 2011 at 08:16 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Oosty wrote:
From http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/lenses.html , per the serial number this lens is a K (135/2.8 430001 - 463210 - Jun 75 - Mar 76) - but, as has been said earlier the conversion appears to have been done using the Nikon kit. It also has the "ears" with two holes that were required for it to register on AI cameras.

It looks like a beauty.

Sorry, but just because a list reads that way doesn't make it entirely accurate...

Saying it is a "K" does not accurately identify this lens as there are TWO "K" versions differing optically and in construction if not cosmetically.....

Saying the 2nd "K" is a NEW K (same consmetics, but with the new optics as listed) isn't fair as it may be confusing when compared to other "K" lenses that are different BOTH optically and cosmetically...

BTW...there is at least one lens that was cosmetically AND optically the SAME....
....where construction, cosmetics, and optics of the K-pre AI and the later AI versions were the same...that being the 50mm F2 that got the rubberized focusing ring and newer aperture ring BUT WAS MISSING the notch cut at the rear (nor the hollowed prongs) though it kept the same optical design.

Dec 05, 2011 at 01:05 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

I would just like to point out how incredibly popular Nikon's MF glass is among those hanging out on the Alternative Gear forum, folks, who like Jay, mount them on their Canon cameras. I've teased him in the past about getting right with the lord by buying a Nikon camera so he can come play with us on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass thread but he demurs. I say that with a smile on my face because I really appreciate how much he has come to learn about these lenses, no doubt an indication of his passion for them. I always appreciate what he and others with a long history and deep understanding of these lenses have to say because I have a great deal to learn on the subject. Of course, I'm not interested in converting old lenses, but rather in shooting with what will work on my D700. At the moment I own only one AI lens, the rest are all AI-s. I've learned enough to know either will work well, but I also know some features added to the AI-s lenses makes many of them more attractive.

Thanks Jay, and don't forget, the offer to join us on the NIkon side is ALWAYS open...

Dec 05, 2011 at 03:59 PM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

CG....thank you for the kind words sir....

AS for AIS lenses being more attractive...some people like the shorter throw of AIS lenses (the image pops in and out more readily)...too much so for some who prefer the longer more gradual rotational range of pre-AI lenses (especially video shooters who like more gradual focusing)....

As for going Nikon....
I have been shooting Nikon F bodies since 1967 and always keep a Nikon film body on hand (now an FE2) and film in the freezer...

Someday I'll get a Nikon dSLR....when I trip over a real deal...like I did for my other gear....The pre-K Q.C 135/2.8 (above) was less than it would cost me to AI-modify the K! Now all my lenses from 50 to 300 are AI ready for the Nikon....

....for now I must remain content with posting on the Alt forum...

Dec 05, 2011 at 06:47 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Just remember Jay, there are a number of folks on the Manual Focus Nikon Glass forum who scan their film work and share it with the rest of us. There was a bit of a renaissance for film a number of months ago when a fellow in Hong Kong bought a flim camera and started posting images. Others soon followed, though those moments are few and far between. But you're always welcome to do that should you pull out that Nikon FE2 and shoot a few photos with one of those classic lenses.

I have two AI lenses, not one as I said before, and I've noted that they often have a longer focus throw than the AI-s glass. In fact, both of those AI lenses excel when shooting with tubes and working close to my subject. One is the 135 f/2.8 AI that had become a bit lost in my kit before I shot with a Voigtlander 125 f/2.3. Shortly thereafter i put a tube on the 135 AI for the first time and took it for a spin. I LOVED what I saw, enough so that despite having picked up a 135 f/2 AI-s, I've kept and used the AI lens. Yes, a longer focus throw is appealing when working close...

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:11 AM
jay tieger
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Can someone verify: Is this AI or Pre-AI?

Ah....so I CAN post here after all.....

In addition to the two 135/2.8s here...My NAS goes back a long way...though I always try to justify it in practical (vs possessive) terms....

I've owned several 50/1.4 Nikkors...S.C, AI, AIS (as well as the 58/1.4), several of the 85/1.8-H and now the K (as well as the 85/2-AIS), the 105/2.5 P.C and AIS, three 200/4s, the 1st Q, the 2nd version that focused closer (from 10' to 7') and the AIS.....though I'm keeping the Q because it's the last lens I got new when I was a PJ back in the 1960s/70s....(and it shows, with a lot of the focusing barrel rubbed raw...though the glass has remained pristine)

The crazy thing is that I would take stunning photos with an old lens to prove its quality just before I'd sell it in favor of its newer replacement....and I'd still sell it ....talk about NAS....

Dec 06, 2011 at 12:46 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password