Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

jojomon11
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

Do you use D lighting? I just recently acquired a D3s and have owned a D700 for quite some times and when I use auto for d lighting or so, I get results I am not use to seeing like lack of sharpness and contrast IMO.

Both cameras are fine and issue free when I turn off d lighting I get results I am happy with, I like to control my settings allot esp. contrast and sharpness.

Anyone care to share advantages or disadvantages of it ?

I see the benefits on paper, but not in my pics

I do not use flash at all and shoot in AV or M mode 100% of the time, and try to stay between 200-800 in the iso department

Thanks in Advanced!

Phil

Dec 03, 2011 at 06:01 PM
ShutteredMe
• • • •
p.1 #2 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

I've always have ADL off. I think it slows down the fps when enabled. If you use raw, you can do still turn it on/off in software.

-Quang

Dec 03, 2011 at 06:13 PM
turnert
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

No, I don't see any advantage to setting parameters at capture, except of course focus, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO. I tweak highlights and shadows in Lightroom. Lightroom isn't going to apply D lighting, sharpness, etc. by default to the RAW image anyway.

~Ted

Dec 03, 2011 at 09:17 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #4 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

I never use D lighting.

Dec 03, 2011 at 09:46 PM
ACNYPhoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

If you're shooting raw it doesn't do anything you can't do in post. Matter of fact, if you're using it and not using Capture or View NX to process your raw files it's going to screw with your exposure. Don't believe me, go try it.... (Had this argument with someone already)

It's useful when shooting Jpg though...

Dec 03, 2011 at 11:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

Thanks for your comments guys! Im glad its off now and you guys confirmed it

Cheers

Phil

Dec 04, 2011 at 04:48 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

ACNYPhoto wrote:
If you're shooting raw it doesn't do anything you can't do in post. Matter of fact, if you're using it and not using Capture or View NX to process your raw files it's going to screw with your exposure. Don't believe me, go try it.... (Had this argument with someone already)

It's useful when shooting Jpg though...

I did try it with a comparison shot and hated it, thanks for your input

Phil

Dec 04, 2011 at 04:49 PM
jmcfadden
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

you Do understand that there is a difference between Sharpness and Contrast right?

Having a Lower Contrast means representing well a Larger Dynamic Range and will require a different style of setting your contrast for the image for print, web or whatever you wnat to do with it, and might require different settings for sharpness etc. These are just some of the considerations to take into account based on personal preference , the contrast of the light in the scene at hand etc, there is not a one size fits all "hammer" for this stuff

Dec 04, 2011 at 05:24 PM
brubenstein

p.1 #9 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

I'm using a D7000. I use ADL when shooting JPG, because the D7000 will often clip in a variety of lighting conditions. ADL drops the base exposure by 1/3 - 2/3 of a stop and then brings up the shadows. (FWIW, by default ADL os OFF for the D7000 and ON for the D5100.) For RAW it is unnecessary and will often result in under exposed images. I have my U1 and U2 settings configured for JPG and RAW. I did this to make sure ADL gets turned off for RAW.

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:41 PM
jojomon11
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · D3s and D700 D Lighting question

Thanks for the info guys

Phil

Dec 04, 2011 at 06:42 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password