Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

waylee

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

Hi all,

I've posted this in the city, still life & abstract section, but I'm hoping to get a better response here!

Please, any C&C would be greatly appreciated!

[edit]:
Here is the updated version of the photo - Better??

San Francisco - Golden Gate Bridge by Waymond_Lee, on Flickr

Thanks for looking and enjoy!

-Waymond

Edited on Dec 03, 2011 at 04:51 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2011 at 09:10 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

The composition seems good, but the color cast is a turn off for me.. Other, better, more experienced photographers may like it..

Dec 02, 2011 at 11:19 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #3 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

+1 about the purple color cast... I am not sure about the rocks/walk to the left so I cropped and did some color adjust and pulled some detail out of the dark. The second picture is less color saturated and sharpened a tad. I am not from the Bay area so I am not sure of how bold the colors are of the bridge.

Dec 02, 2011 at 07:24 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

Waymond,
Looks like your original WB was to remove the sodium vapor greenies of the building in the lower left. A straightforward mask and color correction of just that area may be a good solution. I like the more neutral color of the water in the examples above, but it does take out some drama from the sky. I also like the slightly desaturated bridge color, it's closer to how I remember the bridge looking.

I like the time of day you chose. There's a good balance of ambient light and the light on the bridge. JHut opened up the shadows on the second correction. Personally, I think I prefer something closer to the way yours looks, it seem more like dusk. Maybe a good compromise would be to open up the shadows just a smidge. To me, this is more an interpretation issue and you should adjust it the way you think it should be.

Dec 02, 2011 at 08:24 PM
waylee

p.1 #5 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

Thank you,

I do agree, after seeing the edits above, that the water is a bit over saturated. I will try to de-saturate that tonight. But as far as the sky...I personally love the drama and the colors, I'll play around in saturation in the sky to see what works best.

Does anyone else agree with the crop? I wanted to have a more open feel to the image...

Dec 02, 2011 at 08:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

Nice capture, lots of crayons to play with.

Purple ... correct it, or run with it ... maybe a little of both.

I shaved a little off the left, to eliminate one of the bright areas that are trying to pull your eye out of the frame. Added some color to the remaining one, also.

As always, S&P to taste.

Edited on Dec 02, 2011 at 10:04 PM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2011 at 09:14 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

The Golden Gate bridge is an excellent subject, no matter how often it's photographed. Even without clouds it can be evocative. I don't mind the purple cast. It can look purple in the gloaming. Alternatives you may wish to consider, although I'd consider them optional polishing changes:

1. Drop the vibrance slightly, reduce the impact of the purple cast, or ....
2. Add cyan to a color balance adjustment layer to reduce the purple cast, possibly with differing amounts for shadows, mids and highlights.
3. Mine some detail from the shadows with low values for Image>Adjustments>Shadows/Highlights panel Shadows Amount and Radius sliders (PS).

As a nit, at this size and jpeg compression it looks as though the central tower isn't quite sharp. I presume the original is sharp and the effect is a side effect of the small web size and compression. It can be tricky to do sharpening for web versions.

Also, as a nit, consider using Edit>Transform>Warp to straighten the right tower without leaning the tower in the center.

Dec 02, 2011 at 09:28 PM
waylee

p.1 #8 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

Thank you both for your input, I did edit the photo, LMK what you think!!

Dec 03, 2011 at 04:53 AM
tom lozinski

p.1 #9 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

I like the purple. The image just seems a little too dark to me. The composition is terrific.

Dec 03, 2011 at 12:45 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Updated: Golden Gate Bridge C&C

I like the composition but found the saturation too extreme, beyond anything natural. I selectively desaturated leaving the support towers more saturated and the water in the foreground more monochromatic. I found the building on the left too bright and distracting so I toned it down. The crop seemed a bit cramped on top so I extended the sky. I also cropped in on both sides to eliminate the gap on the left and the bright distracting lights on the far right, instead creating a dark buffer zone on the right to give the eye a clue to stop. Adding a mat helps in that regard too. Rule color sampled from the towers, mat color from the water...

Dec 04, 2011 at 01:25 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password