Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

Archive 2011 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #1 · p.6 #1 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

Richard Nye wrote:
I'm sure the guy that got the 5DII is pretty happy about it. All the rest of us are throwing darts at it.

No one I'd throwing darts at this guy. My beef is the way B&H used it to promote themselves on this board.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:16 AM
Richard Nye
• • • •
p.6 #2 · p.6 #2 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

OK, so B&H didn't do it for altruistic motives. They're a business that provides us a good service and they wanted to get their name out there. I'd much rather have them spend their promotion budget on helping a fellow photographer that had a misfortunate accident than on a magazine spread.

Do I expect B&H to replace camera gear that I lost or damaged? Of course not! Some people may think it's not fair to single out one person to offer the replacement to, but I'm happy that one guy got a new camera.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:26 AM
henryp
• • • •
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

Seriously? What do you think I've been doing the past 15 years? :-)

Absolutely. Your right to disagree with me, and mine to disagree with you is undisputed. I take issue with some venal comments and unsubstantiated allegations but we're each entitled to our respective opinions, particularly if they're expressed with some degree of civility.

Indeed. :-)
We get feedback from a very wide variety of sources and we're very gratified that the feedback has been overwhelmingly positive.

My point exactly. Thank you.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:53 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

The argument on B&H acting inequitably and unfairly by selecting only one camera loss victim for compensation is patently ridiculous.

Equally silly is the notion that the fellow shouldn't have been rewarded for his "act of stupidity".

I think it should be fairly easy to accept that the replacement camera was bought with B&H's money. B&H is not a government social services agency, and B&H can spend their money any which way B&H see fit.

Now, a B&H employee spamming on this forum, and carrying on with a commercial link in his signature, that is an entirely different topic which has been talked about at some length here and elsewhere.

Dec 13, 2011 at 01:48 PM
henryp
• • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

PetKal wrote:
Now, a B&H employee spamming on this forum, and carrying on with a commercial link in his signature, that is an entirely different topic which has been talked about at some length here and elsewhere.

I've discussed the contents of my signature with Fred and have received his specific permission to use this signature.

The link to our site includes this site's affiliate identifier. If you click from that link to our site and place an order we support this site with money. Like B&H, this site isn't a charity and I think anything that supports it and keeps it up and running is beneficial to all of us who frequent it.

YMMV.

Henry Posner
[email protected]
B&H Photo-Video

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:07 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

PetKal wrote:

henryp wrote:
I've discussed the contents of my signature with Fred and have received his specific permission to use this signature.

The link to our site includes this site's affiliate identifier. If you click from that link to our site and place an order we support this site with money. Like B&H, this site isn't a charity and I think anything that supports it and keeps it up and running is beneficial to all of us who frequent it.

Henry Posner

OK, let's not get our panties all twisted up...everyone knows that B&H is a business and so is the Fred Miranda Forums...Henry is not the only person representing businesses here on FM...there are quite a bit more (alot more). By and large, I think they all do a pretty good job (that includes Henry too) of not 'spamming' and only addressing general camera matters or specific matters to their businesses when they are mentioned by other members. It should be noted that whether or not anyone likes or dislikes any of these businesses or their FM reps, Fred Miranda himself has stated on more than one occasion that he supports their presence here on these boards...that makes it a moot point.

Omar

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:32 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

omarlyn wrote:
OK, let's not get our panties all twisted up...everyone knows that B&H is a business and so is the Fred Miranda Forums...Henry is not the only person representing businesses here on FM...there are quite a bit more (alot more). By and large, I think they all do a pretty good job (that includes Henry too) of not 'spamming' and only addressing general camera matters or specific matters to their businesses when they are mentioned by other members. It should be noted that whether or not anyone likes or dislikes any of these businesses or their FM reps, Fred Miranda
...Show more

Yes, by and large...except this time when Henry did spam this board with promotion for B&H. That is why people are upset. Now if someone else posted a link to the video...then in my opinion, it would be fine...but Henry posting this link was just not right.

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:37 PM
Muddypaws

p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

BrianO wrote:
I'm appalled at some of the negativity here. "No good deed goes unpunished" is right. What a bunch of whiney jerks.

Isn't that the truth!

Dec 13, 2011 at 02:44 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

If someone (B&H) wants to throw a 1Ds2 (or even 1Ds3) my way to upgrade from my 1Ds, I wouldn't be mad

Dec 13, 2011 at 03:08 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

Dustin Gent wrote:
If someone (B&H) wants to throw a 1Ds2 (or even 1Ds3) my way to upgrade from my 1Ds, I wouldn't be mad

But everybody else would be.

IMO, it was a little silly for a B&H rep to post this thread ("Hey look at this neat thing we did") but I don't think it quite warranted a 5 page heated debate. If somebody disagreed with posting this, they could alert a moderator and should the moderator agree with them the thread would disappear. Since it has not, it is apparent the site mods are OK with it. Not sure what the big deal is there. It's the holiday season, can we possibly drop the negativity that has been so prevalent here lately?

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:11 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

Move along. Move along folks. There's nothing to see here...

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:21 PM
JakobT

p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

henryp wrote:
Seriously? What do you think I've been doing the past 15 years? :-)

I'm not trying to be rude, but having an online presence in a forum differs a lot from knowing what to do when trying to take use of the more intricate possibilities in viral marketing, knowing the do's and don'ts for one. It requires a different and a more comprehensive understanding of social marketing.

Realizing your own faults and bringing in outside help isn't a bad thing.

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:32 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

wickerprints wrote:
That's my point. Then why did he get one? Why shouldn't someone else who goes through a similar accident get one? Are you always happy for someone who receives a gift they not only do not deserve, but in fact caused the loss they experienced in the first place?

You need procedures and precedents for justifying acts of generosity? Why are you so concerned about a private party potentially creating bad incentives for its customers? Do you really think that giving the unfortunate photographer a new camera creates a moral hazard problem, wherein he might deliberately dunk his replacement into the sea? Do you really think rank-and-file landscape photographers will now deliberately imperil their equipment in the hope that B&H will take pity on them and give them a new camera when something bad happens?

The bottom line here is that the decision to accord generosity to the guy who lost his camera wasn't yours to make. If you feel the need to promote accountability and good incentives, don't donate your cameras to people you think are idiots. However, your view should have no bearing on what B&H does, or the justifiability of their decision. That you, RobertLynn, and others would spend your (presumably) valuable time complaining about it reads more as sour grapes than anything else.

Based on the attitudes expressed, I'm glad no one appointed you or your naysayer friends with any real powers in this forum.

Dec 13, 2011 at 04:58 PM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

Wow. Apparently, I have no right to express my opinion on the matter, and it's okay for you to be rude, condescending, accusatory, and attribute motives and emotions to my position that aren't actually held.

NOT ONCE have I lashed out at any of the people in this thread. I think it's telling that some of you are basically calling me negative or a naysayer, and yet you are guilty of being antagonistic and condescending yourselves. Think about the hypocrisy of your own behavior toward others in this forum before you go around talking grandiosely about how generous and awesome B&H is and trumpeting how much of an optimist you are.

I think this thread needs to be locked.

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:10 PM
kakomu
• • • •
p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

lordarka wrote:
You need procedures and precedents for justifying acts of generosity?

It's already been shown that the act was hardly "generosity", but in the interests of advertising and marketing.

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:34 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

lordarka wrote:
You need procedures and precedents for justifying acts of generosity?

kakomu wrote:
It's already been shown that the act was hardly "generosity", but in the interests of advertising and marketing.

End of thread.

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:41 PM
M Vers
• • • • • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

How is this thread not deleted by now? Fred...are you out there?

Dec 13, 2011 at 05:42 PM
Arka
• • • • • •
p.6 #18 · p.6 #18 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

wickerprints wrote:
Wow. Apparently, I have no right to express my opinion on the matter, and it's okay for you to be rude, condescending, accusatory, and attribute motives and emotions to my position that aren't actually held.

NOT ONCE have I lashed out at any of the people in this thread. I think it's telling that some of you are basically calling me negative or a naysayer, and yet you are guilty of being antagonistic and condescending yourselves. Think about the hypocrisy of your own behavior toward others in this forum before you go around talking grandiosely about how generous and awesome B&H
...Show more

You can play the victim/hypocrisy/free speech card as you see fit, but your opinions say a lot more about you here than your apparently inoffensive demeanor. If you want to waste your time expressing your opinions about unjustifiable or undeserved generosity, feel free. But you should be comfortable with the fact that such "opinions" may cause others to perceive you negatively, so don't start complaining when people voice disapproval of your screed against a corporate act of kindness.

Arka C.

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:18 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.6 #19 · p.6 #19 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

lordarka wrote:
Deriving some benefit from a generous act does not render the act ungenerous. You're confusing generosity with altruism, which usually connotes a dedication to bettering others at the expense of oneself.

Arka C.

Not if the sole goal of this generous act was for self promotion. Then, this does not constitute a generous act, but more a manipulative ploy.

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:47 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.6 #20 · p.6 #20 · Video of Wave Destroying Canon 5D Mark II at (Where Else?) Cannon Beach

henryp wrote:
Henry Posner

No doubt, no doubt.....it's obviously up to Fred to make that call, and I think I understand commercial ramifications of it all.

However, my opinion is that there would be more benefit coming to you/B&H by being seen in compliance with the forum signature rule, than the benefit you/B&H derive from having the B&H link in your signature.

Dec 13, 2011 at 06:48 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.