New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

shortpballer
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

Got my first big break living in Paris and got lucky enough to for a big designer which must be unnamed at this time. Shot with Phase One P30+ and 35mm HC. C&C please

Dec 01, 2011 at 07:19 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

CONGRATS !!!

There's a lot to consider ... no critique, per se ... just some observations & questions.

I'm diggin' the comp the way it guides your eye to the man. OTOH, he seems rather small and his mood seems down. I notice the distinction beetween his boots and the mannequins shoes. The scale of the mannequins has me wondering if the objective is their clothing rather than the models, or is it the boots. Looking closely at the card (made to measure), it then suggests a wearied tailor. The use of lighting draws my eyes to the hands/cuffs ... two are cuffed at the knuckles, one is cuffed at the wrist, i.e. fashion vs. business.

So, it takes me to my typical question of "what's the point" that you are trying to drive for the client, i.e. is it his coats, boots or tireless effort ... or all of the above? I'm diggin' it as an image ... I'm just left unsure of where you're trying to take the viewer. I understand that you may be restricted from discussing such things openly, and the objective might be very different than I've picked up on. I like it, but I'm not sure how well it coordinates with the objective ... and I'm not sure what that objective is ... other than "men's clothing". But I would think your client has something MUCH MORE in mind than just a projection of "men's clothing" that he want's your imagery to convey.

I get ... well-crafted, tireless effort @ both business & fasion oriented men's clothing, who also carries nice shoes & boots. Sounds rather mundane for the likes of a famous designer in Paris ... although I still really dig the shot.

Share what you can or PM if that's better for you.

HTH / GL

coats on the left ... are those fashionable suitcoats or are they fashionable outerwear? I took them as fashion-forward suitcoats @ first, now re-thinking them as outerwear in context with the caps.

Dec 01, 2011 at 12:06 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

I see expensive boots, suits, casual,& outer wear displayed in a modest emporium.. This evokes thoughts of affordability.. Just MHO..

Dec 02, 2011 at 06:52 AM
jookster

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

love this alot! Just think you need more focus on the man instead of the mannequins.

my 2 cents.

Dec 03, 2011 at 01:17 AM
krason

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

No criticism, the shot is beautiful. I love how it manages to retain the darkness of the room and yet all the detail is lit well enough to engage the eye.

As I was reading through the others comments I suddenly had a flash of Dr. Who.
The mannequins are sneaking up on him and the Doctor, man in the center, is playing possum.

Just a thought. :-)

The hats on the mannequins at right did initially give me the vibe that they were up to something.

Thanks for sharing,

Kevin

Dec 04, 2011 at 01:02 AM
JHut
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

Paris sounds great! The lighting is good. The position of the model seems posed and unnatural. The position and lean creates a sense of unease. Up off the glass counter with his boot on the stool may work better for me. A second older model (the Tailor) may add value from behind the counter or tending to the fit of the boot. Just my opinion and novice input.

Dec 04, 2011 at 11:10 AM
nreeque
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

Shooting mens fashion in paris sounds like a dream. Im curious why such an environmental approach to product photography? Headless humanoids are a bit distracting, the shirt cuffs and even the lapel behind the subject have the eye going everywhere but the boots. I bet you had a hell of a time trying to keep the reflections off them boots.

subject is lit very well, nice rim and the pose is somewhat iconic but feels almost remorseful.

Most important, What did the client think? and did you bill them properly? =)

Dec 05, 2011 at 03:01 AM
tom lozinski
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

Very impressive work. The shot is sort of depressing with the model looking down but technically and aesthetically it is terrific.

Dec 07, 2011 at 07:28 PM
puzpicsphoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

these are great! nicely lit. congrats!

Jan 04, 2012 at 02:10 PM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Fashion Photoshoot for Designer

While it was taken with an awesome camera and a lot of production value it doesn't appeal to me much because its just too weird for my admittedly bourgeois tastes. But then I've never set foot in an Abercrombie and Fitch store and probably am not the target audience.

What makes it weird for me is that the lighting on the foreground mannikins is the opposite of normal downward angle giving them an underworld vibe. Their dark winter caps with the Neufie mud flaps look like helmets. Those dudes framing the frozen dead looking guy in the background in more normal downward lighting give the overall photo the look of an alien abduction at Brooks Brothers with the aliens watching as the guy in the background is about to be pulled up to the mother ship by a tractor beam so they can steal those nice boots he's wearing.

But this interpretation might be influenced somewhat by the fact I watched Cowboys and Aliens last night

Jan 05, 2012 at 08:10 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.