Gregory

Edited on Jul 11, 2012 at 11:26 PM · View previous versions

Jul 11, 2012 at 07:12 PM
mttran
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.6 #3 · p.6 #3 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Greg,

Stop doing this to me, i don't want to spend another 3K for this lens...i have too many lens already. Thanks for sharing and those are awesome images.

Jul 11, 2012 at 09:54 PM
NikkorAIS
• • •
[X]
p.6 #4 · p.6 #4 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Thanks you very much. Very nice of say such nice things about my work with this lens.

Even though the cronic wrist injury, is now making its way over to my right forearm. While shooting today, I was getting a shooting/stabbing sensation, when raising the camera to the eye.
Wincing in pain, I pretended not to notice.

How ever the images it produces are really great. So for now I will on shooting.

I wonder how much better it be with the 5D3 .. Kind of scary.

As far as the 3K your a little low, but come up a little and shoot me a PM. There is like room for one more. haha.

Gregory

Edited on Jul 12, 2012 at 01:22 AM · View previous versions

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:34 PM
mttran
• • • • •
p.6 #5 · p.6 #5 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Greg, thank you for your offer but i am still digesting my new 50L1.0 and ZE21 lenses

Jul 11, 2012 at 11:58 PM
NikkorAIS
• • •
[X]
p.6 #6 · p.6 #6 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

No worries . Enjoy the 50 1.0 EF L..

I used to own that lens and it was awsome. Looking forward to seeing some of your work with it.

Gregory

Jul 12, 2012 at 12:29 AM
NikkorAIS
• • •
[X]
p.6 #7 · p.6 #7 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

All images taken with the 200 1.8 EF L on 5D2

Gregory

Jul 20, 2012 at 08:16 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.6 #8 · p.6 #8 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

NikkorAIS wrote:
Adrain, your entitled to your opinion.I guess your not a fan of my work. Funny thing is I did a search and from what I saw we seem to have a simular style of shooting and subject matter.

First of all when you address somebody, it's nice not to mess up their name. Adrian is my name,unlike "NikkorAIS" which is just a nickname,

I wouldn't go as far as to to say that I am or not a fan of your work. That would imply me studying your work ...which I didn't and I'm not interested in. I just glimpsed at a couple of photos which you posted on this thread..

NikkorAIS wrote:
Perhaps you can enlightening me to why mine are just snap shots? And as far being able to shoot them with the 135 2.0 and the 70-200 is that your opinion because that is the gear your using.? Look from what I have seen I really like your work. And if your taking a run at me to justify that you wouldnt benifit from using a big heavy and rare expensive lens like the 200 1.8 EF than all the power to you.

Having a hard time seeing where you are coming from.

It's just my perception, that some (most) of the pictures you posted are mere snapshots and hold now compositional value (to me). Perhaps to others they might seem like sparkles of art, perhaps for those who are obsessed and astonished by a shallow DOF, they hold more interest ....

And I do believe that some of them can be easily shot with other tele lenses without any noticeable difference (perhaps slight difference in DOF). I don't think you 'know' my work, perhaps just a few photos which I managed to post around the forum...but if you say you like it...

The remark about me taking a run at you just because you own an expensive lens... come on dude....you're really kow .... You're so full of it....

I'm interested in the photos I take and how it relaxes me when I go out shooting, not about what gear I own, how much it costs or how much it weighs.... how old are you? 12?

I couldn't care less about your 'rare' 200 1.8 .....

NikkorAIS wrote:
The fact is the combination of aperature and focal length gives the 200 1.8 EF L combined with it's special glass (not made anymore) it's own uniique signature.

Righttttt... I've seen your type on the forum, drooling about 'lens signature' & '3d pop effect'..

There are people who manifest an interest in the art of photography,in the composition & etc...and then there are the gear freaks, the 'bokeh' freaks & etc....

Having shallow DOF in a photo or owning a 200 1.8 doesn't make you a better photographer and doesn't make art out of your photos..

NikkorAIS wrote:
I cant help thinkig you got a little bit of lens envey going on.

I don't want to get into a pissing contest. But so where clear. Mine is bigger tounge in cheek. ( I really dont care)

As long as your happy and disappointed in my work. Im good

You're right, i'm 30 years old and I'm retarded and I envy your big expensive lens...and I can't sleep at night thinking how you don't deserve that lens just to shoot boring & casual portraits on the street and strained cats....

I do hope that I covered all your 'worries' & questions .....and sorry for not replying to you faster....but I do have other stuff to do besides following threads where I post....

And just so we're on the safe side: I do love some of your photos but that doesn't mean that I can't have an opinion on the ones I don't..... it's a public forum and there's something called 'freedom of speech'...

Jul 20, 2012 at 09:11 AM
NikkorAIS
• • •
[X]
p.6 #9 · p.6 #9 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Adrian,thanks for responding, sorry to mispell you name. No disrespect intended. Not sure where going with the iinsinuating I am hiding behind my "NikkorAIS" handle as i always sign my post with my first name "Gregory".

Even if it want in a timely fashion. I would think if you take a run at someone photography . You might consider getting back to them in short order when they respond.

And ya have an opinion all you want. I down with free speach. You don't think my shots are that great. .. I get it..

Don't like my choice of subject matter or framing. Don't like that I photograph cats. Now you have gone to far. This is war . Ha haha.

For me it's rewarding to share some of the images with taken with the lens. And I get a good feeling when I get told my work had inspired other's.

It's interesting how on one hand, you say you don' t care about what what you gear you use. But on the other hand you seem to have quite the opinion about what I use.

personally I don't care what kind of gear you own. But since this is Canon forum and this thread is dedicated to Canon 200 1.8 EF L i

... The fact is they where taken with the Canon 200 1.8 EF L which has a unique look.

As one one of my friends has noted it has some extreme vignetting @ 1.8 but for me that's part of the appeal if it.

As far as seeing my types on the forums? Really ..

And here I thought I was unique

For years I have been photophotgraphing everyday things and everyday moments.

If you think I just started using the long fast to isolate subjects in my photography..

Think again. For close to thirty years I have loved the look of what a long fast lens can do.
So if you think , I just started using long fast glass .. not so much.

Fell free to check out my web site.. rogaltacdesign.smumug.com

Canon 200 1.8 EF L on 5D2

The tragic events out of Colorado today, kind of makes this argument pretty insignifiacant in the scope of things .

Gregory

Jul 20, 2012 at 02:54 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.6 #10 · p.6 #10 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Gregory, you've got many excellent images posted in this thread, and all of them bear your unique fingerprint. Moreover, I think you have showcased 200 f/1.8 very nicely although in B&W.

Edited on Jul 22, 2012 at 10:42 AM · View previous versions

Jul 20, 2012 at 03:24 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #11 · p.6 #11 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Gregory,
Not sure how I missed this thread, but I appreciate you putting on such a spectacular display of what is undoubtedly a special lens. I've wiggled and faniggled and squirmed trying to come up with the cash to buy a 200 f/1.8L or even a 200 f/2.0. Even severely used they run at $3KUSD. That is a lot scratch. Maybe someday.

Weighing in on the "snapshot, I don't like your framing, your cat is ugly" responses, all I can say is if you don't like the way the man takes a pix, don't look at them. I find that you have a remarkable eye for the ordinary. Actually, I think you have repeatedly demonstrated that there really is no "ordinary" if one can truly see. Way back on I think the 2 page you have a shot of what I think is an eastbound CP diesel with what I believe is the CN Tower in Toronto. (Not sure, as I missed the "Big Smoke" the couple of times I hitched across Canada back - well a long time ago.) The clarity, utterly crisp outrageous redness of the locomotive with the tower looming on the horizon - well once again, you demonstrate there is no ordinary.

The combination of narrow DOF, the reach of the lens, and something about the glass itself creates - as far as I'm concerned - a signature for want of a better term. As for someone suggesting that you could get the same pix with say an 85mm f/1.8, well you can't. Much as I use and appreciate my 85mm, it can't even begin to compress time and space like the a 200mm lens at the same aperture does. And yes that narrow DOF can cut both ways. Sometimes it just doesn't work. No big deal. What I don't understand is why some feel it is necessary to launch very personal attacks on another photographer's work. Ah, okay, you don't like it. Fine. One can opine that it's just a snapshot. Okay. That pretty much takes care of Cartier-Bresson. Nothing but snapshots. When one can find the extraordinary in the mundane as you have often done, then I think you are doing something rather nice.

Now, so you don't get a swelled head or anything. You note that your girlfriend(?) has a 3 second tolerance for you to get a shot. Hate to tell you this, pal, but your cat is flipping you off every time you point the lens at it. But then you probably already knew that cause that's how cats are. Hope you keep sharing your pix with us.

As for the wrist pain thing. I'm a semi-retired carpenter (mostly because no one is building anything) with two really lousy wrists and elbows. I also shoot all the high school sports for the local paper. (Small town, small paper.) I've been using a CottonCarrier to hold the camera and lens (In my case a 70-200 f/2.8L II and a 1DIV) when I'm not going for a shot. It helps and is very quick on the draw. I also wrap my wrists before a shoot. Gets hot (I live deep in the Sonoran desert where even at 7:00PM game time it is still well over 100F). And of course, eat ibuprofen. What can I say? Hurts more not to shoot than it does to keep shooting.

Anyhow, thanks for showing your stuff and who knows, maybe someday I'll get my hands on such a lovely lens.

Robert

Jul 20, 2012 at 07:50 PM
NikkorAIS
• • •
[X]
p.6 #12 · p.6 #12 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Thanks Petkal and Robert,
I really apprecaite you guys taking the time to comment.

Canon 200 1.8 EF l on 5D2

Gregory

Jul 24, 2012 at 09:52 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.6 #13 · p.6 #13 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

NikkorAIS wrote:
etc

I understand that many 'older' members (older,not the 'elder') here form some sort of 'community' and it's pretty much like facebook,where everybody hits the 'like' button when some of their 'friends' posts some random photo...

I'm not here to judge you as a photographer or say at what level you're situated....

You're the one making such a big case out of gear....

Ok, you own a 200 1.8 and many more lenses & gear & etc....

GOOD FOR YOU BRO

Stop putting words in my mouth as if I care about your gear or your photos....

I just took a glance at some and shared my opinion....I don't think that's a crime, since published photos (on the web) are put there for showcase & critique...

let's make this clear: I saw some photographs from you which I LIKE very much and are quite good......but I also saw many more who mean nothing (to me)...which seem (TO ME) just like some random snapshots..... and even if they're shot with 200 1.8 or whatever lens or body, that doesn't have a 'magic' finger print for me (just for a shallow dof & etc)...

Some people get too attached to (their) gear (or even obsessed) and they confuse the snapshots that they take with photographs....

If I go and buy a 600 2.8 mk II and I shoot a f**ing pigeon standing on a pole that doesn't make me a good photographer, nor does it make my picture 'worth looking at'...

Take Peter for example, now it's obvious the man can SHOOT pigeons and sometimes it's a DELIGHT to watch BIFs shot by him.....

I don't want a rant with you.... so please don't take everything that I say as being offensive or 'aimed' at you or your work...

I just felt that you were a bit arrogant about the 200 1.8 & other gear, when I never gave a rat's a$$ about your lens or gear...

Jul 31, 2012 at 07:32 AM
lowa2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.6 #14 · p.6 #14 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

NikkorAIS wrote:
http://rogaltacdesign.smugmug.com/Other/Abstract/i-SVkHRjG/0/L/IMG8342-L.jpg

Sweet. Awesome shot.

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:34 AM
edatc

p.6 #15 · p.6 #15 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

Totally spectacular shots.... Makes me feel like searching out and getting one of these lenses...

Jul 31, 2012 at 08:50 AM
adrianb
• • •
p.6 #16 · p.6 #16 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

lowa2 wrote:
Sweet. Awesome shot.

+1

Aug 02, 2012 at 05:15 AM
ultrapix
• • •
p.6 #17 · p.6 #17 · Canon EF 200 1.8 Ultrasonic on Canon 5D2

adrianb wrote:
I understand that many 'older' members (older,not the 'elder') here form some sort of 'community' and it's pretty much like facebook,where everybody hits the 'like' button when some of their 'friends' posts some random photo...

I'm not here to judge you as a photographer or say at what level you're situated....

You're the one making such a big case out of gear....

Ok, you own a 200 1.8 and many more lenses & gear & etc....

GOOD FOR YOU BRO

Stop putting words in my mouth as if I care about your gear or your photos....

I just took a glance at some and shared my
...Show more

I don't guess that a lens samples have to be masterpieces; when a picture shows colors, sharpness, bokeh, etc., the subject could be a pigeon (f**ing or not), and I could catch that lens fingerprint as well that if it was a Magnum shot.
In this topic many shots are waay better than just samples, but that looks to me like a free bonus

Aug 02, 2012 at 08:32 AM
1       2       3              5      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              5      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.