FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              7       8       end

Archive 2011 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

anselwannab
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

What about using facial recognition software to find pics of yourself?

Here's hoping Wolff gets a horrible, painful disease that can only be cured by a patented drug that the maker refuses to produce.

Jan 07, 2012 at 06:48 AM
FightForRight

p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

At Capstone Photography, we are the most recent defendant of this outrageous patent litigation, and we are not lying down. But we need your help. Check out www.endpatentabuse.com for lots of great information regarding this case. Please read, share and donate if you can. Also, check out the most recent motion of our defense here.

Sep 23, 2014 at 05:03 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

First- I wish you success and hope you will report back to us on your outcome.

Did you research the outcome of the Original Poster of this thread? (just curious)

I assume you have found this site and tried to contact? http://wolfpatents.blogspot.com/

I'll share my thoughts:

I think your argument of invalidating the patents due to lack of "inventive concept" is the best approach. Other ways of saying it would be "existing prior art," "obvious to those skilled in the field or practice" , not novel as it is not materially different from all previous inventions or public domain art (called "prior art") in one or more of its constituent elements. Additionally, a patent only remains valid if it is defended when violated in the public eye (see bottom of this post regarding eBay)

Specifically- he process is so broad, that the is the magical element that does not capture the actual method of associating known data with a specific photo. Had he provided detailed claims for such association and automation, he would likely then have a patent that truly held water (ie: image recognition, rfid, automated db association from registration data etc). His patent simply says "associate."

His patents were issued in 2006. I would discuss with your attorney ways to prove "lack of inventive concept." Think about all the ways things were displayed and sold on the web prior to 2006. Everyone of them had a way to be identified. Hence the individual items could be searched for purchased with globally (internet) or within a given server environment. Each item also often had a photograph or image associated with it for viewing / downloading / purchasing (free) etc.
- Stocks / reports / graphs / charts
- Retail consumer or industrial items
- Auctions (ebay, auction houses, etc)
- Media sites (for-sale advertisements, services, media content (entertainment, security, journalistic etc)

Everything was cataloged / tagged / filed such that it was searchable by some known piece or pieces of data.

What makes applying:
a- known db association methods (labels, fields, tags, descriptions)
b- known search methods (engine / db / query)
Inventive in and of itself?

The fact that they are photographs should not matter as they represent a widget with visual content item for sale that has been cataloged. The fact that they are tied to a sports event is not materially different than any other identifying piece of individual data. (this has nothing to do with the challenge of the act of associating the data to the object, however, this is not addressed in the patent).

Find anything that was sold on EBAY that was an image / poster / photograph before 2006 and I think you prove. It becomes more of a slam-dunk if that image is from a sporting event.

Find a friend or subpoena Ebay for past completed Auctions prior to 2006. Enter search term(s) Michael Jordan Photo and I bet you will have it made!!! In face, do it with today's actions (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_nkw=photo+michael+jordan&_sop=14 ). Part of a Patent maintenance (preservation of rights), I believe is related to defending it against infringors. IF PhotoCrazy has not sued Ebay, you might have an angle with this too.

-Guy
-gschlact

Sep 23, 2014 at 06:01 PM
Caleb Williams
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Didn't we have a more recent thread on this topic (PhotoCrazy)? I thought it was 2013ish or even earlier this year.

Sep 24, 2014 at 02:26 AM
kzoockof
• •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

yes, there was a previous discussion on this topic:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1278349/0#12239827

Sep 26, 2014 at 07:16 PM
Michael White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Why didn't the promotes contact the Leo and have his gear and both revived from the area. Did he have a permit, I doubt it, he was trying to operate under yours if he did then you sol. If not he is grass passing by placing his gear in you permitted space for the purpose of generating revenue. Stop it before the race ends have your event security look for him and shut him down take him to court be the nuecence his is first. Yeah your busy during the event but make sure that your permit is exclusive and if other pro togs want to shoot it they need to contact you and get an i house pas to do so. Let the local media cover without using their press passes.

Sep 27, 2014 at 01:59 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

One more way around his patent is to key word the image with the riders name and have them search for it instead of bib number, simple database should already exist that has the riders name and bib number in it use that data to keyword image with both bib number and riders name team etc, location etc, the the rider can pull up all photos with his name the time is exif data so if your cameras are relatively close to the correct time then he can search for his name and find the time sequence of him.

Does his patent state bib and time or bib or time?

Sep 27, 2014 at 02:10 AM
Focus Locus
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Peter Wolf posted on the former Rob Galbraith forums back in 2003, and perhaps much earlier, asking the regulars on the Sports and Event photography many questions, like "what is event photography?" At the time, it was clear that he was reading the forums, and on those forums, many sales and sorting techniques for youth sports event photography were freely shared, especially as simultaneous advances in digital SLR's and the near universal adoption of the internet made high volume, high availability, high delivery speed photography possible.

Sadly, Peter received a lot of help from the more experienced sports event photographers, in the spirit of helping a colleague. Little did anyone know at the time that Peter was actually collecting both ideas and specific language to use for perfecting his patent applications.

His "innovation" was simply and solely the audacious act of patenting painfully obvious techniques that were already being done and talked about freely on internet bulletin boards dating back to 1996. The content and context of Peter's patent was in fact shaped by the answers provided to him in the questions he posed to the user group.

Sep 27, 2014 at 03:10 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Michael White- the patent is not tied to specific info, it loosely states any identifying info like/including bib number that is associated with the photo such that is could be found and bought.

Sep 27, 2014 at 04:21 PM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Good thing when I was shooting cmsa and sass mounted and action events we used name/alaies to keyword photos, the let the competitor locate the photos they were interested in. That also generated word of mouth activity for those that might not be interested initially but when a friend comes up to them say you should see the shot he got of you and or so and so. But, I'm retired now because of limited mobility.

Sep 28, 2014 at 01:40 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

FotoCrazy

p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Forum contributors, PLEASE read the patents in question and try to understand some of the legal and technical details before judging the validity or anything else associated with the patents. Wrong information is misleading and confusing. Mr. Skelps is fueling misinformation on these forums and websites he has published.

The invention occurred and was filed with the Patent Office in 1999. No one has ever found any prior art before that date Ė including the USPTO. Unfortunately the patents didnít issue until 2006 and by that time many event photography businesses used the invention including Capstone. A patent owner canít really do much until the patent issues. So, for six long years I sat there and saw my ideas being used and couldnít do a thing.

Once the patent issued we contacted some event photography companies and several, including the largest in the industry, MarathonFoto, licensed with us immediately. Some refused to license and we filed our first law suit against 8 infringers, including Brightroom. Within a short time they all settled and/or licensed with us. There were a few more lawsuits and the end was the same Ė they settled and/or licensed.

I contacted Michael Skelps at Capstone in 2008 and we had a cordial phone conversation. I personally followed it up with a polite email explaining the situation. He didnít respond! We contacted him again in 2011, he didnít respond. We filed a claim against Capstone in 2013 and he had to respond through attorneys. That is a VERY expensive way to communicate.

Recently I personally contacted him again by phone and email but Michael Skelps doesnít respond. Michael seems to be fixated in fighting until the bitter end. It makes absolutely no sense, especially from a business point of view.

I believe Mr. Skelps has a really bad case of pride or stubbornness and he may very well go out of business and bankrupt before conceding that he could be wrong or resolve our differences.

I donít wish anyone to go out of business or bankrupt but Mr. Skelps will NOT communicate. What can you do if someone doesnít want to talk or communicate accept through his lawyers? The noose is tightening more and more around his business and personal finances. Can anyone talk some sense into Michael? I really hate to see what he is doing to himself.

His recent filing of a Motion For a Judgment on The Pleadings is a feudal and VERY expensive way to invalidate the patents. We have filed a response and his motion will be denied. PLEASE, someone talk some sense to Michael and tell him he doesn't have to go down this road. Doesn't he realize that even if the patents were invalidated he would still be stuck with the legal fees. Are bragging rights that valuable? I don't think so. Michael, call any time if you want to talk: (805) 492-0562

Peter Wolf

Sep 30, 2014 at 01:50 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Peter,

I have no dog in this fight, but is it true that the nature of your patent prevents photographers at an event from identifying pictures by the rider's bib numbers?

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:14 AM
FotoCrazy

p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Prevelige wrote:
Peter,

I have no dog in this fight, but is it true that the nature of your patent prevents photographers at an event from identifying pictures by the rider's bib numbers?

I can't really respond to this other than say you should read the claims of the patents or have someone help you properly interpret them. I think you can understand my position with active litigation going on.

I do wanted to add, however, that none of our licensees ever felt a hardship because of making royalty payments. In general, the license agreements were signed and business was conducted as usual. Naturally if someone chooses to communicate only through attorneys, the costs at $500/hr attorney fees will go through the roof.

Peter Wolf

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:37 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Peter, I think you misunderstand. I have no interest in sides, or claims, litigators or attorneys. I simply want to understand from the person who filed the patent, if it's basic premise prohibits an event photographer from identifying participants by bib number for the purpose of finding images of themselves.

Having been on both sides of the coin, both as a competitive cyclist, and now as an amateur photographer, if I took pictures of a cycling event, identified participants by their jerseys numbers and offer to sell them images, do I then owe you royalties?

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:47 AM
Mark Peters
• • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

So Mr. Wolf your argument boils down to its cheaper to pay me than to fight for what one believes is right? You have just encouraged me and hopefully many others to contribute to his legal fund. Hopefully rulings in Alice and Limelight are providing the light at the end of this tunnel. I encourage all to read this article which includes a link to help Capstone with their legal fees. Let this issue be fully litigated. Only then will we know if this is truly valid rather than simply be beaten into submission under the threat of enormous legal fees. I also hope the ruling in Octane fitness encourages others to take up this fight.
http://petapixel.com/2014/08/24/photographer-files-vague-patent-sues-others-over-shooting-and-selling-photos-of-sporting-events/

Sep 30, 2014 at 02:48 AM
JeffAUSTIN
• •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

I am sure most of you have heard of this fundraiser

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/potato-salad-kickstarter-raises-50-000-article-1.1892490

imo the key to winning lawsuits has to do with eliminating lawyers. if you can represent yourself in the courts of law, the other side always loses(lawyer fee's are horrendous). just getting to the discovery stage can cost defendants hundreds of thousands.

Sep 30, 2014 at 03:37 AM
FotoCrazy

p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Mark Peters wrote:
So Mr. Wolf your argument boils down to its cheaper to pay me than to fight for what one believes is right?

Absolutely not! My argument boils down to "let's sit down and talk" like civilized human beings instead of hide behind attorneys and publish all sorts of disparaging and misleading information like Mr. Skelps continues to do.

Peter Wolf.

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:15 AM
FotoCrazy

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Prevelige wrote:
Peter, I think you misunderstand. I have no interest in sides, or claims, litigators or attorneys. I simply want to understand from the person who filed the patent, if it's basic premise prohibits an event photographer from identifying participants by bib number for the purpose of finding images of themselves.

Hey, I am not an attorney and your question needs to be answered by an attorney who is qualified to properly interpret patents and your specific situation. I don't mean to sound evasive but what you are asking requires the answer from a qualified attorney.

Kind of like asking a lay person about some medical situation. The only person to properly answer your medical needs is a qualified physician. BTW, most patent attorneys go to school even longer than some physicians. Patent law is extremely complex.

Sep 30, 2014 at 04:27 AM
Michael White
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

Well I think you are being invasive because you know that the correct answer would harm you. If you say yes then if the courts find against you you would then be liable. If your patterns don't cover it by saying no you will have less to threats with legal intimidation. If I recall everything any where near correctly. You posted a bunch of questions hear and got the correct wording and techniques from those that actually were working these event at the time. You took advantage of them and applied for the patterns so you could earn off their hardwork and knowledge.

Now for my opinion. I think you were low in ding it at all but especially this way. You didn't invent anything those before you did they just felt that it was open for everyone to do but you saw a way to make an easy buck. You got their wording so that wouldn't be an issues nd included it in you patient paperwork. Next you'll say that using a search engine to find someone phone number or vise versa is your idea and patent that. It is basically the same thing in my book. I don't blame Michael for not wish to converse with you. I'll have to look into sending him a donation as I feel he is fighting for every photogrhers right to search there photos by the easiest means possible.

Sep 30, 2014 at 09:34 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Peter Wolf / PhotoCrazy patent

FotoCrazy wrote:
Hey, I am not an attorney and your question needs to be answered by an attorney who is qualified to properly interpret patents and your specific situation. I don't mean to sound evasive but what you are asking requires the answer from a qualified attorney.

Kind of like asking a lay person about some medical situation. The only person to properly answer your medical needs is a qualified physician. BTW, most patent attorneys go to school even longer than some physicians. Patent law is extremely complex.

There are people here who want to argue with you and debate with you. I'm not one of them.

As the patent creator, I would presume you could explain it to me in layman's terms. I don't need all of the legal patent lawyer wranglings despite how competent you think they may or may not be. I'm frankly not that interested in their opinion. As far as the comparisons to a doctor, I would presume to any doctor could explain to me in reasonably simply terms what he intended to do long before he cut into me. Furthermore, I would expect that his nurse could also explain it to me in simple terms.

Bob

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:20 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password