Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Want a new camera, a little help please

DynaSport
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Want a new camera, a little help please

Ok, I haven't been on FM in a long time. I used to frequent this site quite often and had aspirations of becoming a professional photographer, but that did not happen. I have shot a couple of weddings, done a little sports photography, done some portrait work including families and engagement shots, but decided not to try and make a living at it. At that point I kind of turned more attention to my other main hobby and stopped visiting the site. I still take a fair number of pictures, however, and really enjoy it. I take all kinds of pictures, you know, jack of all trades, master of none.

I also tend to buy equipment and hold it forever, or until it breaks. I am not a perpetual buyer and seller of lenses or cameras. As a result, I have two cameras that are several years old that I use for totally different purposes. I have an old Canon 20D (I know) that I use for my serious shooting. At one time I carried it everywhere with me as well as my 2.8 zooms and a couple of primes in a fairly large backpack. That was fine if I was doing mainly photography, but since much of my photography is not the main purpose I am somewhere, I tired of carrying all that stuff. As a result I went totally the other direction and bought a tiny Canon SD1100 that I now carry with me most of the time. It is super convenient, but also pretty limited.

So, now I am wanting something not as limited as my little Canon, but still easy to carry around. The problem is I am all over the place. At times I think I want a micro 4/3s camera because the size is so much better. Then I think those are still not pocketable and I may not carry them any more than I do my 20D so I decide I want a better compact camera such as the G12 or the S100 or the SX230HS. Then I think I won't be happy with those either and might as well just get a general purpose travel zoom to put on my 20D and resolve myself to carrying it. Then when I am feeling rich, which I am not, I think I just want a new DSLR to go along with the travel zoom.

So, if there are any of you who have had similar thoughts and made a decision, I'd love to hear what that decision was and if you are happy with it.

Sorry for the length of the post. Have a great day.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:59 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Want a new camera, a little help please

I've had the same personal dilemma/quest as you in regards to finding the "perfect" small setup.
To this end, everyone finds there own answers and rarely do they find the one, perfect solution.

For me it comes down to convenience vs performance and I have settled on a multi-option solution:
1) iPhone 4S (love the shots using the quite capable apps)
2) Canon S90 (pocketable)
3) Olympus E-P2 + 14f2.5 (large jacket pocketable)
4) Canon 5Dii + 24-105 (surprisingly easy to tote using just one lens, carried on a recent 60 mile 3Day Walk for breast cancer)

For #3, I also considered the NEX, but isn't as pocketable because the larger sensor adds larger lenses.
Considered the Fuji X100, but the cost was a bit high and I thought I needed a multi-lens system.

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:21 PM
mirkoc
• • •
p.1 #3 · Want a new camera, a little help please

If you like your 20D's output I guess you won't be unhappy with any of recent compact cameras that have raw capability. You could perhaps search through picture collections, for example here and just find which camera kind of puts the smile on your lips most. If it has a specific feature that you would appreciate (hot shoe, F2 aperture, optical viewfinder...or something else, tilt swivel screen perhaps) go for it and enjoy.
If you decide to carry a bigger camera with you, perhaps a 5D in good condition could make you happy too.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:38 PM
DynaSport
• • •
p.1 #4 · Want a new camera, a little help please

surf monkey wrote:
I've had the same personal dilemma/quest as you in regards to finding the "perfect" small setup.
To this end, everyone finds there own answers and rarely do they find the one, perfect solution.

For me it comes down to convenience vs performance and I have settled on a multi-option solution:
1) iPhone 4S (love the shots using the quite capable apps)
2) Canon S90 (pocketable)
3) Olympus E-P2 + 14f2.5 (large jacket pocketable)
4) Canon 5Dii + 24-105 (surprisingly easy to tote using just one lens, carried on a recent 60 mile 3Day Walk for breast cancer)

For #3, I also considered the NEX, but
...Show more
I think you are right, there really is no one solution. I will always want a DSLR as I still do some shooting with studio lights from time to time. Plus, I love the control I can get with it and the ability to change lenses. Funds limit me having all the gear I want. however, so I am trying to determine the best next step for me. Perhaps it is to get something like your option 3 next. Still thinking...

Edited on Nov 30, 2011 at 09:27 PM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DynaSport
• • •
p.1 #5 · Want a new camera, a little help please

mirkoc wrote:
If you like your 20D's output I guess you won't be unhappy with any of recent compact cameras that have raw capability. You could perhaps search through picture collections, for example here and just find which camera kind of puts the smile on your lips most. If it has a specific feature that you would appreciate (hot shoe, F2 aperture, optical viewfinder...or something else, tilt swivel screen perhaps) go for it and enjoy.
If you decide to carry a bigger camera with you, perhaps a 5D in good condition could make you happy too.

Well, I like some things about my 20D's output and not others. Over the years with it I have tried to learn to maximize its strengths and try to avoid its weaknesses. Probably its main weakness is the operator. If finances allowed, I'd certainly have replaced it with a 7D by now, but of the new DSLRs I can afford, I guess I prefer my 20D. I keep hoping it will break and I'll have to come up with the money for a new DSLR, but it hasn't happened yet.

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:26 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Want a new camera, a little help please

DynaSport wrote:
I think you are right, there really is no one solution. I will always want a DSLR as I still do some shooting with studio lights from time to time. Plus, I love the control I can get with it and the ability to change lenses. Funds limit me having all the gear I want. however, so I am trying to determine the best next step for me. Perhaps it is to get something like your option 3 next. Still thinking...

If you go that route, you can get a really good deal now on the older Olympus E-P2 with lens.
I recently got mine for $300 (new body only), but added the $300 prime as well. If you want flash, EVF & extra battery, then things start adding up. But you can start with the basics and see if it meets your needs. I think you can get the body, 17mm lens & flash kit for around $550.

Nov 30, 2011 at 11:43 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #7 · Want a new camera, a little help please

contax t3, ricoh gr1, fuji natura f1.9, konica big mini, konica auto s3

Dec 01, 2011 at 12:23 AM
Dono T

p.1 #8 · Want a new camera, a little help please

get the new ashton kutcher.....nikon v1 i think? not that i have any experience in the matter...

Dec 01, 2011 at 12:33 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password