Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Just how weather proof are they?

penpro
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Just how weather proof are they?

I have a D7000 and the Nikkor 18-200 at the moment. I know that the D7000 has weather seals but I'm not sure about the lens. So what really does "weather" refer to here?

I had a watch once that was water resistant and I managed to water ski with it many times and never had a problem. Another watch that I had died after washing my hands that was also water resistant.

I was out shooting in light rain on the weekend and light, but wet snow today. I did my best to limit the exposure of the camera to the elements and kept it in my jacket when walking. But it did get wet on both outings.

the obvious answer is don't get it wet at all and you will be fine but that just isn't practical if you want shots in anything but perfect conditions. So just how much is too much? Consider that I'm not a pro, obviously, and I really can't for that reason risk the system for a shot as it will not pay for the loss.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:38 PM
Osai
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Just how weather proof are they?

There is no such thing as "WEATHER PROOF".

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:44 PM
LLondon
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Just how weather proof are they?

light rain ok. Anything else large zip lock bag or a trash bag if I have the long stuff on

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:06 PM
utildayael
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Just how weather proof are they?

or thinktank hydrophobia... if you want a fancy trash bag

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:50 PM
dirb9
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Just how weather proof are they?

One thing to consider is that most lenses aren't weather-resistant; I'm pretty sure the 18-200 isn't.
Treat weather resistance as a way to get in an urgent shot when it is raining before you can get a plastic bag over the camera. You shouldn't expect it to protect the camera from hours of rain. If you want a weatherproof camera, go for a Nikonos or a water-tight case.

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:38 PM
BlueBomberTurbo
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Just how weather proof are they?

Dropped a huge glass (large Tervis Tumbler) of milk right onto the top and front my D7000 with a 35mm 1.8 AF-S mounted. Poured all over the back too, but the front got the most. Got sticky, but Windex fixed everything. No internal damage. Didn't get through any of the body seals, even after sitting in milk for like 3 seconds. Didn't even mess up the lens. The worst thing that happened was the aperture slider for older lenses needed a bit more cleaning than the rest of the camera (stuck in position every now and then). My cable modem wasn't so lucky...

Nov 30, 2011 at 10:55 PM
mlorenz26
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Just how weather proof are they?

I guess I can count myself lucky. This past September I shot an Equestrian jumping show with my Nikon D300 and Nikon 80-400 for about 7 hours of steady hard rain and didn't have any problems with water getting into the camera or lens. I did try to put the camera and lens in my jacket when not shooting and was constantly wiping it dry with paper towels but both did get wet to a great amount. Both camera and lens managed to survive the day without any problems.

Matt

Dec 01, 2011 at 01:17 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Just how weather proof are they?

The definitions are deliberately vague. It is a CYA move on their part to avoid fixing things free.

My watch is water resistant and has been in both oceans and lakes. It's been in the shower just as much as I have. It cost about 10 bucks. Would I take a $2,000 camera in the ocean or shower with me? If you pay me $20,000 I will!

Dec 01, 2011 at 01:56 AM
ozpall
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Just how weather proof are they?

This is how i did it last weekend with my d7000, its just not worth it to risk it, if you HAVE to but not just to do it.

Dec 01, 2011 at 05:34 AM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Just how weather proof are they?

The only lens I'll use in the rain in my 70-200 since it seems to have rubber seals all over the place which my other lenses don't...

My D700 body has been fine in rain and even hrs with snow frozen all over it.

Dec 01, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

DaveOls
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Just how weather proof are they?

I ordered Rainsleeves from B&H to cover my camera when it is wet outside. They are $ 7 for a pack of two. I believe they will cover up to a 200mm lens at least. They also have ones that will work with the flash up, probably a little more.

DaveOls

Dec 01, 2011 at 01:43 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Just how weather proof are they?

Thanks every one for the insight. I have been doing my best to keep it dry but every now and then a shot presents it self that you just want to have.

Dec 01, 2011 at 04:34 PM
redrock_z71
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Just how weather proof are they?

I've used my D7000 in moderate rain with no issues what so ever. I did make sure I was in it as little as possible though. Here's an example shot of the amount of rain I was in.

Dec 01, 2011 at 06:52 PM
penpro
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Just how weather proof are they?

That is quite a bit of rain if you had to stand there for any length of time getting the shot right.

Dec 02, 2011 at 08:25 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Just how weather proof are they?

They are weather proof until they malfunction. Make sure to dry out tghe lenses especially after use. The older ones without the rubber gasket can fail later on. Been there done that.

EBH

Dec 02, 2011 at 11:04 PM
Go4Long
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Just how weather proof are they?

runamuck wrote:
My watch is water resistant and has been in both oceans and lakes. It's been in the shower just as much as I have.

My wife forgot to take off her Citizen Evo Drive watch when we went scuba diving. Took it down to 50' depth and she looked at her watch and realized it was still ticking away. Funny part is that was our second dive of the day. So it actually went scuba diving for a total of about 90 minutes that day and is still working just fine...and it's "water resistant"

As for camera gear, I've been out in pouring rain with the D3s and my 300mm 2.8 and never had any troubles. I just love the reflections:

Focus by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Dec 03, 2011 at 01:40 AM
ExtendedPuppet
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Just how weather proof are they?

Be careful with the D700 and a battery grip. The seal between them isn't watertight, especially with the off brand grips, and there are many electrical contacts down there. If water crosses the contacts, could be trouble.

Dec 04, 2011 at 08:57 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Just how weather proof are they?

Osai wrote:
There is no such thing as "WEATHER PROOF".

+10x

Dec 05, 2011 at 12:03 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Just how weather proof are they?

EB-1 wrote:
They are weather proof until they malfunction. Make sure to dry out tghe lenses especially after use. The older ones without the rubber gasket can fail later on. Been there done that.

EBH

Thinking back, I believe that's what happened to my D700 LCD that just went to El Segundo for replacement.

Rain on the back of the camera.

Dec 05, 2011 at 12:05 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Just how weather proof are they?

Mark_L wrote:
The only lens I'll use in the rain in my 70-200 since it seems to have rubber seals all over the place which my other lenses don't...

My D700 body has been fine in rain and even hrs with snow frozen all over it.

You Sir, are a brave soul

Dec 05, 2011 at 12:08 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password