New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              6       7       end

Archive 2011 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

I have only done this side by side to satisfy the curiosity of a few people here.

So here you go.

http://zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=853

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:34 PM
JimUe
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

wow.
I know reviews are totally thankless so I appreciate it.

the canon @ 2.8 looks alittle front focused.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:41 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Even on my iPhone display, the zeiss kills that canon in this test.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:45 PM
cuonghuutran
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Thanks for taking your time to do this interesting test. Could you post the center section at 100%? That allows comparison of micro-contrast and color rendering when the details are sharp.

--Cuong

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:02 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

The difference is quite marked. Reading Lloyd Chambers on the Nikon 24, he does note that in his experience it is likely a sharper, more corrected lens than the Canon; that's the comparison I'm eager to see. I have mixed feeling about the Nikkor; results at ƒ1.4 aren't as striking as I'd bargained for and mis-focus at ƒ2 still results in many lost images, as I recently experienced on an assignment I shot just last week.

Edited on Nov 30, 2011 at 04:06 PM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:19 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Thank you, Jorge. Post it on the Canon forum, then stand well back. That is a $1500 lens that just got owned....very comprehensively. Dull, flat and lifeless come to mind as accurate descriptions.

Nov 30, 2011 at 03:40 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

philip_pj wrote:
Thank you, Jorge. Post it on the Canon forum, then stand well back. That is a $1500 lens that just got owned....very comprehensively. Dull, flat and lifeless come to mind as accurate descriptions.

Ha,

I will let you post it. I'm staying out of this.

Nov 30, 2011 at 04:17 PM
plasticmotif
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

I'll post it :P

Nov 30, 2011 at 04:21 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

I would venture to say the canon may be a little front focused. But by 5.6 it should have been corrected.

Nov 30, 2011 at 04:27 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Focus? This came up in the other thread, but that boat won't float, I'm afraid, the images the Canon turns out will not magically assume what the CZ provides! I do concede you can achieve well-focused, drab and lifeless images, however. For $1500...brand loyalty rules OK, I guess.

Nov 30, 2011 at 07:49 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

That Canon is terribly front focused -- you can see that in the first shot where the cars are sharp and the house is blurring -- the opposite with the Zeiss. Sorry to say, but until you get the two to focus the same, the test results are useless.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:07 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

I agree that if the focus isn't accurate, the test is no good. I'm afraid that in order to accurately focus such a test, you'll have to use live view(yechh...it's ugly).
If these shots were accurately focused, then it's evident that the Canon lens you used is a typical Canon wide angle: good, but not very good.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:37 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Actually if you look at the writing on the car roof thing, both the Zeiss and Canon are OOF. If you look at the Canon shot, that can't be on focus on the car considering there's sharp CA there even at F5.6

If you look at the car in the mid distance between the roof deck car and the house, the focus isn't there either. The Canon is just bad.

Edited on Nov 30, 2011 at 08:41 PM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:40 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

center crops would be interesting to see if just to judge if its a focus or lens issue

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:41 PM
Rock Huffwell

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Gunzorro wrote:
That Canon is terribly front focused -- you can see that in the first shot where the cars are sharp and the house is blurring -- the opposite with the Zeiss. Sorry to say, but until you get the two to focus the same, the test results are useless.

Yup, I'm not drawing any conclusions from this test. DOF field won't make up for missed focus when looking at 100% crops. Was autofocus used on the canon? I'm always amused how many "soft" lenses turn out to just be misfocusing.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:42 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

U P D A TE

I found some samples at f2 that are spot on focus. The only thing now is that the Canon is stopped down while the Zeiss is Wide open.

Samples are at top of thread

http://www.zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=853

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:43 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Even at F2, the Zeiss shows less CA and is slightly sharper. There's CA everywhere on the canon.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:49 PM
obik
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

FlyPenFly wrote:
Even at F2, the Zeiss shows less CA and is slightly sharper. There's CA everywhere on the canon.

CA and vignetting are definitely the Canon's weak points. Vignetting in general seems to be a very low priority for Canon's engineers, which is frustrating as hell, since you just can't correct (or even moderate) a 4 stop vignette in an ISO 1600 shot without the file falling apart.

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:23 PM
Rock Huffwell

p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

Jorge Torralba wrote:
U P D A TE

I found some samples at f2 that are spot on focus. The only thing now is that the Canon is stopped down while the Zeiss is Wide open.

Samples are at top of thread

http://www.zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=853

That does look much better focused (note the canon appears to be sharper at f/2 than f/2.8 ). I still would not be positive about perfect focus, but despite being wide open the zeiss does appear to perform better too.

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:27 PM
redisburning
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Followup to zeiss 25 review

I dont know why the Canon guys are getting so bent out of shape.

ok, youre lying to yourself anyway if you think your lens is the best when true wideangles are out there. do you convince yourself that your 24L II can outperform the ZM 25 or the Leica 24 Elmarit too?

anyway the OP never said it was that great of a test. for something more useful compare your best 24L II shots against the best samples you can find of the ZE 25/2 and you might get something useful out of the exercise.

the 24L II is fast, and decent stopped down. that alone makes it a good lens

Edited on Nov 30, 2011 at 09:38 PM · View previous versions

Nov 30, 2011 at 09:32 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.