Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Nowhere Man
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Sorry for the slightly off topic. I can't find a link to contact a moderator on here to investigate.

I've got a Canon item for sell on the buy/sell board. Got contacted by another member with only 6 posts. Does this sound like a scam, or do you think this guy is legit? Anyone else hear of scammers on the buy/sell board here? I've been a long time member and never heard of a scammer on FM buy/sell board.

Buyer is: Paulo.RC
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/recent/Paulo.RL

PM from Buyer
--------------------
yeah, I will pay the $1400 and the Express mail shipping what would cost like $40 and will be delivered tomorrow.

I don't have enough time to meet you, I would be glad too but I'm a little rushed, the best way for me is the fastest mail.

I'm staying at Corona del mar, if you dont have problems with send the lens to the house of my friend would be great.

I can pay with paypal and do it now, I think the total would be $1483 (lens+ 40 shipping + 3%paypal fees). if the total could be more for shipping price I will send it to you after.

what do think, can we do this?

This is my ebay account, just to let you know I'm a good buyer.
http://myworld.ebay.com/xthebeautyisdeadx

(sorry for my english, is not the best hahah)
--------------------

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:09 PM
duffguy808
• • •
p.1 #2 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Hmm

Just my two cents but the message does sound a little fishy. If at anytime you feel uncomfortable with the transaction, just move on to another buyer. I have sold a few items on FM BS and never received a message to tell me to rush things.

Good luck

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:16 PM
reggie747
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Why do you think its a scam ? As I read it, he wants to pay you what you want and have you send it to him.
Am I missing something here ?

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:18 PM
Sgt93
• • •
p.1 #4 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

reggie747 wrote:
Why do you think its a scam ? As I read it, he wants to pay you what you want and have you send it to him.
Am I missing something here ?

I agree.

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:21 PM
cputeq
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

My concern would be it appears he wants you to mail it to his friends house? You may not fall under paypal seller protection (fwiw) if you do this.

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:25 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

just make sure you get paid first before shipping the camera

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:27 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #7 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

abqnmusa wrote:
just make sure you get paid first before shipping the camera

Then hold your breath cause Paypal most always sides with the buyer.

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:31 PM
Mike Tuomey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

fishy, yes - he wants to pay you via paypal but then asks you to ship to non-verified (by paypal) address.

i'd pass.

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:35 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #9 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Thanks for the response guys. I did some research. Apparently it's pretty easy to scam using paypal. I guess I'll wait for a better buyer.

http://www.newlifeauctions.com/ebay_scams.html

Credit Card Chargeback Scam

PayPal allows buyers to fund their purchases with a credit card. This is very convenient for buyers, but opens the door to fraud for sellers. If the credit card being used is stolen or the buyer initiates a chargeback, the credit card company will take the money back from PayPal. Whether PayPal takes the money from the seller's account depends if the purchase is eligible for PayPal's seller protection policy.

Buyer Requests Shipping to Different Address Scam

This scam usually occurs when an innocent victim's PayPal account has been hijacked. The scammer will not change the hijacked account's shipping address as this will send an email to the true account holder. Instead, the scammer will try to convince a seller to ship the item to a different address which is often in another country. Typically the scammer will claim that he is moving or that the item is for a friend. Don't fall for any stories. Ship your items only to the confirmed address. If the buyer want to ship to a different address, insist that the buyer change the shipping address on their PayPal account to where they want it shipped and reconfirm it. Otherwise you will be liable if a chargeback occurs.

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:35 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #10 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

He can't confirm his Paypal address so I will pass. Where can I contact a Moderator?

To: Nowhere Man

That is impossible, my paypal account is confirmed but in Chile, where I from... that is the address of my friend where I will be till friday

To: Paulo.RL
Thanks. Please provide a Paypal account with a confirmed shipping address that matches that of what you have provided. I will let you know exactly how much it will cost to ship the item.

Thanks.

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #11 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Where can I contact a Moderator?

AFAIK, the only moderator is Fred himself. He may see this thread and respond. Otherwise, you can try PMing him.

John

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:55 PM
JohnBrose
• • •
p.1 #12 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Not always a scam just to send it to a different address. I often request people send equipment to me at my studio because that's where I'm at during the day. The Paypal address is our home address. You should just communicate with the person a bit and see if there are reasons. I would think if they have 6 valid transactions for similar items, things must be fine.

Nov 30, 2011 at 05:58 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #13 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Not six transactions. He has a total of six posts on this forum website.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:05 PM
Tom K.
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

It sounds like a scam.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:14 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Surely spam. Those mails appear all the time on Craigslist if you want to sell something.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:14 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
p.1 #16 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

just remember if you use PayPal and send to another address you're own your own with no recourse. I got stung on a very similar sale (1d3 body $2500) rush delivery, send to another address, no way jose!!!

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:16 PM
Grantland
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

Sgt93 wrote:
I agree.

i think you are missing something. be very careful as you proceed further. offer to meet face to face and request only cash.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:16 PM
eos-m42guy
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

The only way I'd do it is to have him send a USPS money order. Then take it to a P.O. for authentification prior to shipping.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:23 PM
wsumrell
• •
p.1 #19 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

I would not do it, get those kind of messages all the time on Craigslist, I do not trust these kind of responses. Tell him you will accept a cashiers check in payment and he will tell you he can't pay that way, try it and see.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:24 PM
Nowhere Man
• • •
p.1 #20 · Scamming on the buy/sell board?

No transaction. He did not respond when I told him I could meet him in person at the hotel he was claiming to stay at in San Diego.

His other 6 posts are all to other sellers on the Buy/Sell board. Be aware of this user if you are selling here: Paulo.RC

Thanks everyone for your responses here.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:25 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password