Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Another Tripod Thread :)

MattyH

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Another Tripod Thread :)

Well I figured I would add to the long list of threads already on this, however I do have a couple of questions. I am looking at two sets of tripod legs and a couple of ball heads. I was not sure if either of these brands were better then the other, the first is the Slik 700DK and the second is the Manfrotto 190XB.
Slik 700DX
Manfrotto 190XB

Next up is ball heads. The load out on the head will be at max around 4lbs. So all of these heads should be fine as far as weight goes, again just wasn't sure about brands. First is a Gitzo G-1177M, second is a Manfrotto 496RC2, and third is a Smith-Victor BH8.
Gitzo G-1177M
Manfrotto 496RC2
Smith-Victor BH8

Thanks again for all the help and advice.

Nov 29, 2011 at 05:15 AM
maneatingshark
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Another Tripod Thread :)

I have the Smith Victor BH5 and it works flawlessly for my purposes; supports a D300+80-200 f/2.8D with no problem; it is also an Arca-Swiss mount, which I prefer. It does have a few...quirks, but it's a great value head.

Nov 29, 2011 at 05:27 AM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Another Tripod Thread :)

I have the 190XPROB and the 322RC2 (which are up for sale in the Buy/Sell BTW)

The legs have been very good - easy to set up, lots is useful touches in the design (configurable center column, hook on the base for hanging your case, etc.). I find it very intuitive, usable and sturdy. I'm upgrading to a Gitzo CF since I'm traveling more and some of my setups are pushing the weight limit a bit, but it has been terrific.

The 322RC2 "grip" style head is pretty interesting. It is very non-fiddly (which is my pet peeve). You don't have to worry about panning or tension since your hand is on the handle, making tension less relevant (though there is an adjustment) and panning is also a function of the grip. Moving to portrait orientation is also very natural. My one beef is the limited ability to tilt back. I may be missing something but I'm shortening the rear leg to achieve upward angles in some cases.

Honestly, I find the 496/498 very fiddly - don't like the placement, design or use of the levers. Their newer Magnesium designs are much better, but pricey: 054 is ~$200, but feels a LOT more like the RRS-style in terms of controls.

Nov 29, 2011 at 04:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password