Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alterna...

wilsocn
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Its easy to go out to a store and find a good selection of 30 dollar junk tripods and easy to go online and find a good selection of 200+ dollar tripods but are there tripods that sort of fill that void that are a decent alternative? My heaviest current setup would probably weigh in at around 5lbs. Are there decent tripods to be had for around 100 that includes the head and legs?

I am up for any suggestions. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2011 at 08:58 PM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #2 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Check out vanguard. They were my first set of legs with an interchangable head. Mine came with a fluid pan/tilt head, is very sturdy and costs about $138.

Nov 28, 2011 at 09:02 PM
wilsocn
• •
p.1 #3 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Thanks for the suggestion. I will definitely give them a look.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:10 PM
billkoe
• •
p.1 #4 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

The only tripod that I'll vouch for at $100 is the Tiltall. I've had one for 35 years and used it regularly with a small 4x5. I have several tripods at all prices including a large Gitzo. The Tiltall is the only real bargain at that price.

Nov 29, 2011 at 01:20 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Perhaps a used aluminum Bogen/Manfrotto will be about $100 with a basic head.

EBH

Nov 29, 2011 at 02:34 AM
Two23
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Sooner or later, you will come around and buy a first class head and a good tripod. Most people seem to buy two or three before figuring that out.

Kent in SD

Nov 29, 2011 at 02:50 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

And then buy a few even better tripods.

EBH

Nov 29, 2011 at 03:39 AM
UsseryG
• • •
p.1 #8 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

I love my vagabond. But i guess im lucky.

Nov 29, 2011 at 05:06 AM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #9 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Two23 wrote:
Sooner or later, you will come around and buy a first class head and a good tripod. Most people seem to buy two or three before figuring that out.

Kent in SD

Good advice! And don't limit your tripod to 5 pounds support. You'll need something to support more weight eventually.

Nov 29, 2011 at 05:13 AM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #10 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

lukeb wrote:
Good advice! And don't limit your tripod to 5 pounds support. You'll need something to support more weight eventually.

Honestly, no, I think it's not good advice for people in all circumstances. It's good advice if you have thousands of dollars sitting around or if you're shooting on large telephotos. For people on a realistic budget who do not have to support heavy rigs, a cheaper tripod is perfect.

I have two tripods that cost under $200 and a ballhead that's under $50. They work perfectly fine for my use - timelapse and general landscape work. One's super heavy, large and sturdy, the other's a lot lighter and I use it for hiking and travel.

Here's my cheap hiking tripod, which has so far been awesome:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001VEIZXI/ref=oh_o05_s00_i00_details

It was $130 or so when I purchased it. I don't think it's in production anymore. It's pretty light, easy to set up, and extends (w/o center column) to a perfect height. I've taken it up to the top of mountains, to the seaside, and to city locations without any issues.

With a ballhead, it's a bit over your budget. Sorry. But it's not +$700 like some people would suggest.

I have a Joby Ballhead. I'm kinda embarassed that I use this, haha. It's actually done a pretty good job, although I want to go photoclam soon.

What I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Joby-Bubble-Level-SLR-Zoom-Gorillapods/dp/B002CVU4G0/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1322584912&sr=1-1

What you might look at:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/680971-REG/Joby_BH2_01EN_Ballhead_X_Black.html

Nov 29, 2011 at 04:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

not to rain on your parade but there are very few tripods for $200 that i would put a 5lb load on and still expect to carry the thing with me anywhere. if you are in a studio or next to your car then there are lots. if you are going to walk around with one then a 5lb load and $200 tripod are not compatible.

Herb....

wilsocn wrote:
Its easy to go out to a store and find a good selection of 30 dollar junk tripods and easy to go online and find a good selection of 200+ dollar tripods but are there tripods that sort of fill that void that are a decent alternative? My heaviest current setup would probably weigh in at around 5lbs. Are there decent tripods to be had for around 100 that includes the head and legs?

Nov 29, 2011 at 06:49 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #12 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

HerbChong wrote:
not to rain on your parade but there are very few tripods for $200 that i would put a 5lb load on and still expect to carry the thing with me anywhere. if you are in a studio or next to your car then there are lots. if you are going to walk around with one then a 5lb load and $200 tripod are not compatible.

Herb....

Herb - my 190PROXB/322RC2 is pretty portable, and only a pound heavier than the Gitzo 2531 I'm replacing it with. 5lb is no problem for those legs at all, and when the tripod is folded up, it is reasonably portable (weight and length). The legs are well under $200 - the whole kit is ~$250.

Everyone has a different threshold, but 5lb isn't a hard problem to solve with reasonable quality in the world of tripods.

Nov 29, 2011 at 07:43 PM
Zaitz
• • •
p.1 #13 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Used Gitzo Pro Studex for ~$100. 8lbs and handles my 8x10 . Don't mind hauling it anywhere either.

Nov 29, 2011 at 07:56 PM
adam613
• • •
p.1 #14 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

M635_Guy wrote:
Herb - my 190PROXB/322RC2 is pretty portable, and only a pound heavier than the Gitzo 2531 I'm replacing it with. 5lb is no problem for those legs at all, and when the tripod is folded up, it is reasonably portable (weight and length). The legs are well under $200 - the whole kit is ~$250.

Everyone has a different threshold, but 5lb isn't a hard problem to solve with reasonable quality in the world of tripods.

...and that combo is twice the OP's budget. Unfortunately, it's also the first step above the $30 tripods that provides any real increase in stability. It will do fine with a DSLR and a heavy normal or wide-angle lens...maybe even a 70-200 f/4 if you use a tripod collar and a remote shutter release.

Edited on Nov 29, 2011 at 09:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:21 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

which is $50 more than my threshold.

Herb...

M635_Guy wrote:
The legs are well under $200 - the whole kit is ~$250.

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:23 PM
wilsocn
• •
p.1 #16 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

Thanks for the input, everyone. For the last 4 years I have used a cheap Dynex tripod for my dslr and the 300mm kit lens and I have never had an issue with it holding my current setup (around 2.3 lbs). I live next to MCNP and have walked many miles with that thing by my side and my camera attached to the end and it has served as a walking stick on more than one occasion.

I mention that because I was really hoping that I didn't have to break the bank for another tripod to support the new lens which is about 1.6 lbs heavier. So I guess my setup will weigh in closer to 4lbs instead of 5. For thirty dollars the Dynex has its share of faults but it has never failed to support the gear in any way. Its just old and breaking down and was never intended for what I have put it through.

Does anyone have an opinion on this Oben tripod? The reviews on B&H seem to be favorable and it is listed as having an 11lb load capacity.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/687330-REG/Oben_AC_1310_BA_0_AC_1310_3_Section_Aluminum_Tripod.html

Thanks again everyone.

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:23 PM
adam613
• • •
p.1 #17 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

What camera and lens are you trying to put on this tripod anyway? There are a lot of 5lb camera/lens combos, some of which require a lot more support than others.

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:25 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

it's all relative. you may discover that with a better tripod that your same camera and lens is that much sharper suddenly, or that the 300 is sufficiently soft that you couldn't see the difference. without some sample pictures at 100% crop, it's impossible to tell. i had a couple of $100 tripods when i was starting out. even with a film body and a 200mm lens, the best tripods of that price class were adequate but the ball heads were not. frankly, for a 300m lens for wildlife shooting, i would rather hand hold or use a beanbag. much lighter and unless your technique is lousy, equal results and a lot faster. 300mm for landscapes would require a tripod but something more than the $100 class because the heads are inadequate.

Herb...

wilsocn wrote:
Thanks for the input, everyone. For the last 4 years I have used a cheap Dynex tripod for my dslr and the 300mm kit lens and I have never had an issue with it holding my current setup (around 2.3 lbs).

Edited on Nov 29, 2011 at 09:33 PM · View previous versions

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:26 PM
wilsocn
• •
p.1 #19 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

I have a T3i (600D) and my new lens which is the Canon 100-400mm is usm lens will be here tomorrow. It took me years to upgrade from a 150 dollar lens to a 1500 dollar lens so I would imagine that this will be my setup for the foreseeable future. Unless I start playing and then win the lottery. :|

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:32 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · "in between" tripods. Are there decent alternatives to more expensive setups?

if you are shooting wildlife with that lens, don't bother with a tripod. if you are shooting in low enough light that you need a tripod, you should have figured an adequate one into the cost. using an inadequate tripod is worse than not having one. you don't get any sharper and you carried all that weight for nothing.

Herb...

Nov 29, 2011 at 09:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password