Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2011 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

CameraTester
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

i have a humongous amount of stuck pixels on my nikon d5000. to be honest, i tried to clean the sensor with my shirt and now this happened, yes i know, its the STUPIDEST thing to ever do and i now know that. i am not in a position to send it to nikon. its not under warranty. i have tried everything to remove them, but they are still there! ive tried the technique of using bulb mode for 20 seconds, and doing a sensor cleaning right after, ive tried doing that tons of times. is there any software to do a remapping of the sensor? the pixels are red green and blue. please help me!

Here is a photo taken at a really long exposure with the lens cap on at 6400 iso

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:21 AM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #2 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

All of this just because of a little piece of dust I wanted to get off and I made a finger print so I tried to clean it off. I had no idea of the damage it would cause!

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:24 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

What does it look like with a normal exposure? That looks like noise unrelated to any cleaning performed.

EBH

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:24 AM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #4 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

Tell me the settings to use and I'll take a photo to show you

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:25 AM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #5 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

I just reeeeaaally want to get this fixed! I'll do anything to get the pixels fixed! This is very depressing

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:26 AM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

Your member name doesn't match the big mistake you made. "Cameratester" just doesn't seem in-synch with the idea of cleaning a camera sensor with a shirt!

Anyway ... the example you've posted really doesn't tell us much about "stuck pixels." It looks like the amp noise one might actually expect with a long exposure at really high ISO. What you need to do is take a shot at a ISO 1600-3200, lens cap off, f/5.6, shooting a something dark .... a "normal" kind of shot .... so we can see if damage was done and if, in fact, you have "hot" or "stuck" pixels.

Alternatively, stop posting here and just send it into Nikon for a cleaning. Not sure why you're even hesitant to do that.

Others may have better suggestions.

- Steve

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:37 AM
LDRider
• • •
p.1 #7 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

Looks like you've got a light leak from the lens cap

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:40 AM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #8 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

no those are the edges where I was spending the most time cleaning on the sensor I believe

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:41 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

CameraTester wrote:
Tell me the settings to use and I'll take a photo to show you

Go outside tomorrow morning. Take a natural light shot with a normal lens at middle ISO and hand holdable shutter speeds. So far the image shows nothing but random noise from high-ISO and long exposure so there is nothing to compare it to.

EBH

Edited on Nov 28, 2011 at 03:44 AM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:41 AM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

Looks like sensor noise. What ISO? I get noise at ISO 3200 on my D300.

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

Reset the settings. Then point it at the street outside; ISO 1600, 1/15 wide open lens.

You could have something screwy going on with the JPEG processing... this is from an in-camera JPEG, right?

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:44 AM
Jan Brittenson
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

And next time, don't use a shirt to clean the insides of a camera. Apart from static electricity you could deposit lint and more dust, thread or hair bits or whatnot that may get in the shutter and cause real damage...

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:47 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

It looks like a 2 1/2 minute exposure. No wonder you have this noise. Now, try taking a normal picture in daylight using ISO 200. I bet your noise goes away.

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:53 AM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #14 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a photo tomorrow when it's light out. But what good will that do? I'd like to fix this now if possible. Please help!

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:59 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #15 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

You actually raise two different issues here.

To check for dead pixels, take a shot with the lens cap on at ISO 200 and very high shutter speed, so light leaks won't have an effect. Resulting 'hot' pixels are dead.

To check how clean the sensor is, shoot the blue sky at f/22. If you don't want to wait until tomorrow, shoot a light gray surface with flash and overexpose a little, again at f/22.

The pic you posted here is not showing dead pixels.

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:06 AM
Tommy_D
• • •
p.1 #16 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

EXIF shows 151 second exposure. Original post says it's at ISO6400.

Yeah...

Edited on Nov 28, 2011 at 04:12 AM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:10 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

Elan II wrote:
You actually raise two different issues here.

To check for dead pixels, take a shot with the lens cap on at ISO 200 and very high shutter speed, so light leaks won't have an effect. Resulting 'hot' pixels are dead.

To check how clean the sensor is, shoot the blue sky at f/22. If you don't want to wait until tomorrow, shoot a light gray surface with flash and overexpose a little, again at f/22.

The pic you posted here is not showing dead pixels.

I prefer long shutter speeds for checking sensor cleanliness. Set the camera to lowest ISO and using a wide(ish) lens at small aperture, make the exposure long enough (~1 sec.) so that the camera can be rotated maybe half of a turn during exposure. That will blur the background to prevent confounding dirt/dust with any spots on the wall, ceiling, etc. Of course outdoors with a uniform bright sky works if you have it, but I'm often checking for dirt late in the day or early in the morning in a hotel room for example.

EBH

Edited on Nov 28, 2011 at 04:28 AM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:12 AM
Jeff_Stapleton
• • •
p.1 #18 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

CameraTester...what they are saying is that nothing looks broken. You are taking pictures in a way that causes noise. Nobody would expect it to look any different

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:22 AM
CameraTester
• •
p.1 #19 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

I know I have stuck pixels. Here is a shot with the lens cap on at 1/640 and 3200 iso

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:28 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · Tons of stuck pixels! How do i fix them?

CameraTester wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll take a photo tomorrow when it's light out. But what good will that do? I'd like to fix this now if possible. Please help!

Two and a half minutes at ISO6400 will bring this out. Shoot a picture tomorrow at normal exposures and marvel at how all those screwed up pixels magically disappear and your picture turns out normal.

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:32 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password