Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

elbeasto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

I'm trying to decide on a wide lens to use on my D700.

I shoot mainly cityscapes & architectural stuff and mainly in low light.

Zoom wise I'm trying to decide between the 17-35 f/2.8, 16-35 f/4 and 14-24/f/2.8.

I'm also considering a new prime, either the 24 or 35 f/1.4G.

I'll probably end up buying a zoom but it's not %100 final yet and I'm kind of leaning toward the 16-35 f/4 at the moment.
The only thing that bothers me with this lens is that I know that the 14-24 f/2.8 is optically better.

What do you guys think?
Cheers

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:56 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

14-24, otherwise you will be saying "if only I had tried it"

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:56 PM
deadwolfbones
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

Sigma 12-24 v1

Nov 27, 2011 at 04:03 PM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

The 14-24 is slightly better in IQ than the 16-35, but only if you are really shooting the same thing side-by-side and comparing. We have both and I find the 16-35 to deliver incredibly sharp images and be a little more manageable (lighter, effectively smaller, more useful range, less expensive, VR). So if you are considering either you can't go wrong. I'd only go for the primes if you wear prime shooting as a badge of honor or feel that you really need the 1.4 which I think is kind of questionable for cityscapes and architecture, but I'd hate to judge.

- trr

Nov 27, 2011 at 05:19 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

If you work mainly in low light the answer is easy: 14-24/2.8 and 24/1.4.

Nov 27, 2011 at 05:25 PM
Jammy Straub
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

elbeasto wrote:
I shoot mainly cityscapes & architectural stuff and mainly in low light.

I think if you shoot mainly in low light you want f/2.8. I think if you shoot a lot of indoor architecture all the width you can get would be helpful. I think that points you toward one lens in particular.

I also think Nikon should make a 17mm PC-E lens and revamp their PC-E with user rotatable axis so the ideal architecture kit isn't a 5DII, 14-24 with G adapter, 17 TS-E, 45 TS-E, 90 TS-E, and 70-200 IS.

Nov 27, 2011 at 05:28 PM
OccAeon
• • •
p.1 #7 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

Jammy Straub wrote:
I think if you shoot mainly in low light you want f/2.8. I think if you shoot a lot of indoor architecture all the width you can get would be helpful. I think that points you toward one lens in particular.

Ok, why would f/2.8 be needed for cityscape/architectural stuff? Wouldn't the low DOF be a pain, even in a wide angle lens? Also, if it is still targets, couldn't he just use a tripod?

(I don't mean to be critical, I'm actually just asking).

Nov 27, 2011 at 07:49 PM
Uzay
• • •
p.1 #8 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

OccAeon wrote:
Ok, why would f/2.8 be needed for cityscape/architectural stuff? Wouldn't the low DOF be a pain, even in a wide angle lens? Also, if it is still targets, couldn't he just use a tripod?

(I don't mean to be critical, I'm actually just asking).

+1, i was actually asking these questions to myself

Nov 27, 2011 at 07:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ozpall
• • •
p.1 #9 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

^^^for those reasons i just went with the nikon 18-35 f3.5-4.5 and it does the job for me and at a very good price.

Nov 27, 2011 at 08:06 PM
Mishu01
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

OccAeon wrote:
Ok, why would f/2.8 be needed for cityscape/architectural stuff? Wouldn't the low DOF be a pain, even in a wide angle lens?

Play a bit with DOFmaster... you'll be very surprised to find out how big is the DOF in the range of 14-24/2.8. Especially if you use right the hyperfocal distance. You can discover that the DOF of 105mm at f8 is smaller than of 14-24/2.8 at f2.8.

Nov 27, 2011 at 08:12 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

One advantage of f/2.8 is the potentially improved AF speed and precision, even if you do intend to shoot at smaller apertures.

It also helps with MF, more so with some focus screens than with others.

It can give you a greater effective flash range.

Sometimes the shutter speed offered by the larger aperture is worth more than the loss of DOF.

And it can always be used at the smaller apertures whereas the lens with a small maximum aperture can never be used at a larger aperture.

- Alan

Nov 28, 2011 at 02:34 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #12 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

Is the 28mm PC lens any good? Only got shift, but does anybody still use it? Most serious architectural photographers will have the 24mm, but as a budget version would like to know if this is a worthwhile lens to have.

As a zoom, the 17-35mm 2.8 works well for me on the D700. Stop better for low light than the 16-35mm, and in the dark I would be scared on bashing the exposed front element of the 14-24mm.

Nov 28, 2011 at 03:46 PM
pacman642
• •
p.1 #13 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

I like my 16-35 f/4, it's amazingly sharp, the distortion is easily correctable in LR3 or ACR. What I really like is its ability to accept filters. For this lens I have a couple of Singh-Ray(thin mount) screw-on filters and I typically hand hold my GND filters. The lighter weight is great too.

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:27 PM
poisonpill
• • •
p.1 #14 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

NightOwl Cat wrote:
14-24, otherwise you will be saying "if only I had tried it"

I agree, the 14-24mm is yummy.

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:31 PM
utildayael
• •
p.1 #15 · Trying to decide on a wide lens for FX (D700)

Some thoughts...

14-24 is hands-down the best super wide angle on FX imho. It's fast [f/2.8] and tack sharp. HOWEVER that is not without caveats. No filters [unless you buy the Lee kit which is several hundred dollars and hard to get], it flares like a SOB because the front element is so huge, and its heavy. Oh and has a horrid lens cap. I still love mine and it is great for its specific uses. Sadly it is also 1800$.

24 PC-E is a wonderful lens if you're shooting architecture. Highly recommend it. It's also very expensive like the 14-24. If you can live with 24mm as your widest and don't need a zoom, this is one to look into. If not, go with the 14-24 or the 16-35.

Nov 28, 2011 at 04:55 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password