Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Why did this happen?

mghazal
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Why did this happen?

During my trip to Sequoia National Park I decided to work on some neutral density photos. For some reason I get this weird rainbow line through my images.

Is it something that i'm doing wrong?

Process:
1. Composed image, focused image.
2. Wrote down shutter speed and f stop, calculated f stop after the nd filter went on.
3. Turned off auto focus, set white balance to 4700k, closed rear eyepiece.
4. Took photo for required time.

Equipment:
Nikon D3
Nikon 24-70 2.8
B+W 10 stop ND

If any one has insight please do share.

Thank you.

Nov 27, 2011 at 02:41 AM
mfletch
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Why did this happen?

That's the Nikon 24-70's light leak.

Light leaks through the focus distance window under certain circumstances. It rarely actually affects an image though. It requires that more light shines on the distance scale than comes through the lens elements(such as when using heavy ND filters). It also seems to only happen around 40-50mm. So basically only when shooting just as you shot these images. A piece of dark tape over the window when taking these images will prevent it in the future. Nikon has supposedly updated the construction of current lenses to correct it.

Nov 27, 2011 at 05:59 AM
mghazal
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Why did this happen?

I had no clue. I'll definitely take that into account next time I do longer exposures. Thank you very much.

Nov 27, 2011 at 06:57 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Why did this happen?

and if you contact Nikon they will resolve it too.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:25 PM
DGC1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Why did this happen?

Are there any other NIKON lenses that do this or is it strictly the 24-70?

Nov 27, 2011 at 03:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Why did this happen?

it seems to be isolated completely to the 24-70/2.8

Nov 27, 2011 at 03:57 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mark2Mark
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Why did this happen?

There was a thread on talkphotography where light had leaked through the focus assist lamp on a guy's D300S. he noticed it on long exposures using NDs.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:01 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Why did this happen?

Design errors happen. I suspect that Nikon tests their lenses for light leaks more carefully during prototyping now.

EBH

Dec 02, 2011 at 03:56 AM
GroovyGeek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Why did this happen?

Wow, if something that affects basic functionality happened on a car or many other consumer goods there would be a recall. I guess 24-70 owners are out of $2000 with no recourse. Good to know. Given that distance scales are largely useless on lenses nowadays, I would be tempted to stick electrician's tape on it of I owned the 24-70.

Dec 02, 2011 at 07:16 AM
plubbry
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Why did this happen?

Taping over the distance scale will be the easiest fix. However, Nikon apparently has a fix for the issue. Since the issue isn't noticable under most shooting conditions there hasn't been a 'huge' outrage. I'd send it to Nikon, including the pictures, and they should be able to take care of it.

More info:
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-10053-10796

http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=2227

Dec 02, 2011 at 04:19 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Why did this happen?

GroovyGeek wrote:
Wow, if something that affects basic functionality happened on a car or many other consumer goods there would be a recall. I guess 24-70 owners are out of $2000 with no recourse. Good to know. Given that distance scales are largely useless on lenses nowadays, I would be tempted to stick electrician's tape on it of I owned the 24-70.

It is not at all like that. Automobiles and some consumer products are recalled when there is a safety hazard. Non-hazardous defects in consumer products are usually covered by warranties. In case the defect is pervasive and prevalent, the manufacturer may choose to advise consumers to return the product for free repair/replacement to fend off possible class action suits that the product is not fit for use. However, they have to decide on a case by case basis.

The 24-70 Nikkor defect is similar in a way to the first early defective batch of Canon 24-105 lenses. Canon elected to replace the entire lens instead of repairing them, since the numbers involved were few (1000 or so) and it was caught very early. I think the 24-70 Nikkor situation lasted longer than that and/or a larger number of lenses was affected.

EBH

Dec 02, 2011 at 04:45 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password