Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Macro World Resource

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Dedicated Macro vs Achromat Filter

FlyPenFly
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Dedicated Macro vs Achromat Filter

I currently use the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG on my Sony Full frame A850. It's an okay lens but I use it in manual focus most of the time. I mostly do product like shots like below when I shoot macro.

I've never actually been too happy with the colors out of the Sigma lens. It produces sharp photos and has suitable bokeh but it's never really wow'd me like my Zeiss lenses have.

I'm curious then, if I use a Marumi 2 element apochromatic close up filter +5, what would be my effective mag ratio for a Sony Zeiss ZA 24-70mm F2.8? Its native mag ratio is .25.

Secondary question. If I buy a Zeiss ZF.2 100mm F2 Makro which can be converted to Sony, would it be better to use a macro extension or a close up filter to achieve greater magnification? I know that lens is only 1:2.

Nov 27, 2011 at 01:10 AM
Jonathan Huynh
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Dedicated Macro vs Achromat Filter

The last photo is awesome.

Nov 27, 2011 at 02:26 AM
LordV
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Dedicated Macro vs Achromat Filter

Re the +5 filter on the 24-70mm lens, it would not do much at all, you would add a maximum of +.35 to the existing mag at the 70mm end. To do something significant you really need a longer lens to put the filter on (you'd get 1:1 with a 200mm lens) or get a stronger diopter around +20 (eg Raynox MSN-202)
You might get a better result just simply reversing the lens using an adapter onto the camera body giving you a macro zoom that would go over 2:1 mag.

Re the 100mm 0.5:1 lens I would use extension tubes think you would need around 35mm to get to 1:1 max

Brian v.

Nov 27, 2011 at 07:39 AM

FM Forums | Macro World | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password