3       4       5       end

Archive 2011 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

atran
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

David Baldwin wrote:
Thanks ulrikft2

I have no problem with the OP, just the "review" - I can cope with fanboism, not misrepresentations of fact.

To be clear, since 1990 I have owned Olympus 28mm f2, Nikkor 28mm f2, Nikkor 28mm f1.4, Canon 24L Mk1 and own the Canon 24L Mk2. Hopefully this demonstrates I am not a fanboi, if the Zeiss were dramatically better than my 24L Mk2 I would strongly consider a change. I love fast wide lenses, and would consider any reputable brand.

This is why sloppy, misleading reviews upset me so much. My money and time are at stake.

Hi David,
I think you should consider the the Lloyd Zeiss guide then. Lloyd often does comparison shots between different lenses and his approach is more comprehensive. Right now he does not have any comparison shots for the 25/2 yet but I think he planned at least to compare it to the Nikkor 24/1.4G. You could email him before subscribing to ask if he plans to compare it with different Canon 24/1.4 L II.

An

Nov 28, 2011 at 06:23 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

What strikes me is the seemingly superb performance wide open. I'd much rather have a superb f2 lens than a ok-ish f1.4 lens. I am slightly allergic to lenses that don't perform well wide open. This is not a lash out to David, nor a blanket statement that the Nikkor or Canon lenses are not good compared to the Zeiss. If they concluded that f2 was a practical limit for price/size/performance I am happy with that if the performance is this good. It is nice to see that Zeiss is not trailing behind anymore.

The older Y/C Distagon 25/2.8 was really poor wide open. I have no experience with the new ZF 25/2.8.

Nov 28, 2011 at 08:45 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

I have tested the 24/1.4 nikkor on my d700 and the amount of pop/great colors/sharpness is amazing imo. Have not tried the new canon though.

Nov 28, 2011 at 08:59 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Nikon has a long history of great wide angle lenses, I am not surprised if they have pushed the envelope even further in lens design. Canon seems like they started to get the hang of it quite recently. I haven't been monitoring either brands progress the last five years really.

Nov 28, 2011 at 09:43 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

David Baldwin wrote:
Now an empirical, honourable, considered comparision between the Zeiss, Nikon and Canon fast 24mm lenses would be very, very interesting. Being a 24L Mk2 owner I am very interested in the "reviewer's" assertion that the Zeiss at "5.6 and f11 this lens is leaps and bounds ahead of anything out there". I've made sharp four foot prints from the 24L Mk 2 at f8, and I await with great interest to see if the Zeiss truly, objectively, delivers so much more! BTW the Nikon equivalent is a famously good lens too. Lets see.

Quoted from the review:

I feel some clarification needed on the above statement. What I am saying is that I did not personally have a Canon lens to shoot with and directly compare to the Zeiss. I based the statement on other reviews on the net which showed samples images the Canon stopped down to 2.8

Sincerely,

Moron.

If you would like to send me a "NEW" canon 24mm for 1 day, I would be glad to shoot side by side shots for you.

Actually, I will try and pick one up today.

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:21 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

If you state that the Zeiss is "leaps and bounds" ahead of anything else out there it sounds as if you are claiming knowledge of what the competition actually is. If I understand your piece correctly you refer to a test of Canon's old 24L to justify your claims. Canon's new 24L is dramatically better optically, particularly in the area of CA correction.

Am I incorrect on this, because at first sight it sounds as if you are making statements about lenses you have no actual knowledge about. It also sounds as if you are referring to reviews of lenses that are no longer on the market. I would be happy to apologise if I am misrepresenting you. Have I misunderstood you?

I would like to be clear. I have no issue with a review that fairly compares products A B and C, and declares one to be the winner. I do object to people praising or damning products they have never even used. I can do that myself.

Am I being unfair to you?

Nov 28, 2011 at 10:50 AM
cuonghuutran
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

I have owned Canon 24mm 1.4 Mk1 and Mk2 and 35mm 1.4. After owning Zeiss 21mm 2.8, I sold these lenses in a heart beat. I agreed with the reviewer's point that rendering of Zeiss has so much more micro-contrast and gradation. Heck, we did AB test of Canon 35mm 1.4L vs. the zoom Leica 28-90mm f2.8 at 35mm aperture 2.8. Leica is wide open and Canon is stopped down. And I like Leica much better.

--Cuong

David Baldwin wrote:
I am quite sure the Zeiss is a wonderful lens. I do have severe doubts about the "review" however.

I quote:

"Although Nikon and Canon make great cameras and their new primes are really good, they still fall short of the the Zeiss. It's not about sharpness or pixels peeing but the overall picture is just so much nicer from the ZF 25. Of course this is just my opinion and you may feel totally different about this.

I do not have a direct comparison I can share with you but can only reference what I have seen on the net done
...Show more

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:15 AM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

David,

I don't know how much clearer I can be. I actually praised both Nikon and Canon as excellent lenses, I further state my observation is based on what I have seen done by others just as you and I do. The review was not intended to compare a,b or c. I just happen to be curious and looked at a sample from a Canon 24mm 1.4 stopped down to 2.8 and it caught my attention that the Zeiss looked better at the edges than that sample did at the center. I also included a link to the reference and a link to their web page. Yes, I am a fan boy but I am not trying to hide anything here. I also do recognize flaws in Zeiss glass as well and note them.

I state in my disclaimers that the reviews are based from a users point of view and not charts or scientific data. Quite honestly when we shoot we don't pull out the charts and compare the results to LPM or edge sharpness or whatever. We look at the overall picture which is why my reviews are based on how one interacts with the lens and the overall impressions and image quality we can discern from a print instead of a chart.

In order to satisfy our curiosity, I will head downtown today and pickup a new Canon 24 1.4 and snap a few shots with it at f2 and the Zeiss at f2 (if it's not raining). I will post those results. But Again, this is not an a,b,c lens shoot off.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:22 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

I look forward to hearing what you think. If the Zeiss proves to be sharper then so be it!

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM
loosh
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

People constantly comment on lens characteristics (ie rendering, 3D-ness) without direct comparisons. Why hammer on this guy for it?

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:37 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Jorge: I look forward to seeing a comparison. Would be nice to see both close up shots and distant shots. Thanks for making an effort, much appreciated.

/ Henrik

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:50 AM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

There is no doubt this new Zeiss is truly exceptional, based on what I have seen so far. I wouldn't go as far as claiming it is better than x or y lens, and here I would fault Jorge for the over excitement. To be honest, I am getting tired of lens comparisons where lenses a, b and c are compared at zone A, B and C, as lenses are much more complicated than that. In my experience these tests are just uselss with all due respect to the reviewers. What I look for in reviews these days is to get an idea about the drawing style of a lens, with everything that the term involves. My pixel peeping days are way past. So, IMHO, all this top glass is very close in terms of performance, what differentiates it is the particular drawing style or look it produces, so one cannot go wrong here, we all have different tastes. Just my 2 cents.

Nov 28, 2011 at 11:54 AM
mfoto
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Jorge.... thumbs up for doing the 24 vs. 25 test

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Yes, Ed, I agree.

But if we can't trick Jorge into posting some more samples - how are we supposed to be able to judge the drawing style?

Also, it would be interesting to see if the lens have any major shortcomings for general shooting - i.e. sharp enough (or not) across the entire frame when stopped down. Etc.

Edited on Nov 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM
AhamB
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

fefo.1979 wrote:
i like the photo 16649!.. and the rest of the set too

Yes, incredibly good bokeh for a 25/2 lens, IMO.

Edit: Agreed with Z250SA below.

Edited on Nov 28, 2011 at 12:36 PM · View previous versions

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM
Z250SA
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

David Baldwin wrote:
This is why sloppy, misleading reviews upset me so much. My money and time are at stake.

As you, Sir, at least by your own standards and without any further reference, are not a moron, why then are you looking for "The Truth" on the internet? Quite sloppy, IŽd say, as most of us do know that the only way to actually _know_ is to get the lens in question and try it out!

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:33 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

edwardkaraa wrote:
There is no doubt this new Zeiss is truly exceptional, based on what I have seen so far. I wouldn't go as far as claiming it is better than x or y lens, and here I would fault Jorge for the over excitement. To be honest, I am getting tired of lens comparisons where lenses a, b and c are compared at zone A, B and C, as lenses are much more complicated than that. In my experience these tests are just uselss with all due respect to the reviewers. What I look for in reviews these days is to
...Show more

Which is why I dont do the pixel peeping either. In this case it was just a side step.

"Drawing" for me comes to bokeh and contrast, and the 25 f2 just shines there as you can see from the close up pictures.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:34 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

kosmoskatten wrote:
Yes, Ed, I agree.

But if we can't trick Jorge into posting some more samples - how are we supposed to be able to judge the drawing style?

Also, it would be interesting to see if the lens have any major shortcomings for general shooting - i.e. sharp enough (or not) across the entire frame when stopped down. Etc.

Hehe, that's why I'm certainly very interested in seeing more samples in different scenarios, and I'm sure Jorge will oblige

What I definitely don't want to see, but maybe others would disagree with me, is another lens comparison where a random scene is taken, and random 100% crops from different zones are selected, and compared.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:41 PM
edwardkaraa
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Jorge Torralba wrote:
Which is why I dont do the pixel peeping either. In this case it was just a side step.

"Drawing" for me comes to bokeh and contrast, and the 25 f2 just shines there as you can see from the close up pictures.

Fully agreed, Jorge. There is certainly a lot to like about the 25/2 and your photographs clearly show it.

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:44 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

So are there four lenses now in the Zeiss top price tier?

21mm F2.8, 25mm F2, 35mm F1.4, and 100mm F2?

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.