Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

Archive 2011 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Jorge Torralba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Too many to list. you can see them here

http://www.zeissimages.com/standardgallery.php?membercollection=906&showall=1

And here is the review.

http://www.zeissimages.com/showreplies.php?qid=850

Nov 26, 2011 at 09:44 PM
fefo.1979
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

i like the photo 16649!.. and the rest of the set too

Nov 26, 2011 at 09:48 PM
atran
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Hmm the extreme corner looks pretty good in this review at f11. I may consider this one then

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:08 PM
bluetsunami
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

atran wrote:
Hmm the extreme corner looks pretty good in this review at f11. I may consider this one then

It was sort of like the 25/2.8 that got a bad rap at first but stop it down to typical landscape apertures and the corners cleaned up as well. Though I'm sure this stop faster lens is more extreme in that regard. The MTF shows the 25/2 not having clean corners up to f/4 though, past that remains to be fully seen (though maybe Diglloyd touched on this already).

I love the presence in this photo

http://www.zeissimages.com/showphoto.php?photoid=16638

Also have to love the red and blues

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:58 PM
atran
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

bluetsunami wrote:
It was sort of like the 25/2.8 that got a bad rap at first but stop it down to typical landscape apertures and the corners cleaned up as well. Though I'm sure this stop faster lens is more extreme in that regard. The MTF shows the 25/2 not having clean corners up to f/4 though, past that remains to be fully seen (though maybe Diglloyd touched on this already).

I love the presence in this photo

http://www.zeissimages.com/showphoto.php?photoid=16638

Also have to love the red and blues

I think stopping down for landscape is fine but I am quite worried about the diffraction kicking in that could harm reduce the contrast and make the small details go away.
Still I think it's a very good lens, physical resemblance (especially the hood) compare to the 35/1.4 is a plus
In Lloyd guide to Zeiss lens I think when I look at an aperture series, different corner sharpness result comes out from different corner, the bottom left and right corner clear up and reach very good result in the f5.6-f8 range. However the top right corner never get quite sharp even at f11. So I think the corner sharpness also depends on type of scene

Nov 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

In the last pic The reason the left edge is blurry in his photo is probably because it is significantly closer and at infinity probably not in the focal plane until f11.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:05 AM
Tariq Gibran
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

atran wrote:
I think stopping down for landscape is fine but I am quite worried about the diffraction kicking in that could harm reduce the contrast and make the small details go away.
Still I think it's a very good lens, physical resemblance (especially the hood) compare to the 35/1.4 is a plus
In Lloyd guide to Zeiss lens I think when I look at an aperture series, different corner sharpness result comes out from different corner, the bottom left and right corner clear up and reach very good result in the f5.6-f8 range. However the top right corner never get quite
...Show more
Thats due to feild cuvature I beleive. While foreground corner sharpness may be almost sharp, as shown in this review, we dont see what happens with the background as there is nothing with detail there to show in the top corners. Lloyds infinity tests showed this to be the problem area. Furthermore, you need sharp corner performance by f8 for infinity landscape stuff with 20+ mp sensors to really take advantage of the potential resolution - diffraction tends to compromise detail beyond that imho. This lens does render nicely though. It would make a great editorial/ documentary type lens.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:23 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

It would be interesting to choose between a 35/1.4 and 25/2. Both give you somewhat unique looks due to the wide angle shallow DoF look.

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:49 AM
Edgars Kalnins
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

The pictures are nice, a good intro for the 25/2

Nov 27, 2011 at 03:13 AM
Thorsten
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Very nice images. The review is beyond comment, though:

Between 5.6 and f11 this lens is leaps and bounds ahead of anything out there.

.. which is based on this:

I do not have a direct comparison I can share with you but can only reference what I have seen on the net done by others.

Nov 27, 2011 at 03:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mfoto
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Nice review... makes the choice between 35/2 and 25/2 tough.

Nov 27, 2011 at 04:26 PM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

I don't think so. The 35/2 is an excellent lens but the characteristics of the 35/1.4 beat it IMO. I sold my 35/2 in anticipation of picking up the 35/1.4.

Nov 27, 2011 at 04:38 PM
Technician
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Oh my god! What a beautiful lens! Droooool.

Nov 27, 2011 at 04:58 PM
jffielde
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

This might leave the 35 f/2 out in the cold. The 21mm, 25mm and 35mm f/1.4 look like a hard combo to beat.

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Jorge Torralba
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Here is one that shows close focus capabilities

www.zeissImages.com

Nov 28, 2011 at 01:09 AM
magiclight
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Lovely bokeh for a lens this wide JT

Nov 28, 2011 at 07:22 AM
kosmoskatten
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Great samples and great lens. Very well done by Zeiss. It does - from what I can see - even dethrone the Leica R28/2.8 in pretty much all aspects, despite being one stop faster and a little wider. Wow.

A three lens setup consisting of the 25/2, 50/2 and 100/2 would be a solid trinity. (And if you are a Sony convertee top it off with the 135/1.8.)

Thanks Jorge.

Nov 28, 2011 at 07:51 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

I am quite sure the Zeiss is a wonderful lens. I do have severe doubts about the "review" however.

I quote:

"Although Nikon and Canon make great cameras and their new primes are really good, they still fall short of the the Zeiss. It's not about sharpness or pixels peeing but the overall picture is just so much nicer from the ZF 25. Of course this is just my opinion and you may feel totally different about this.

I do not have a direct comparison I can share with you but can only reference what I have seen on the net done by others"

ie

1. No sharpness data
2. No pixel "peeing" !!
3. Zeiss "nicer" without any actual comparison to the Canicon lenses
4. Reviewer has only seen other people's (small) Zeiss images on the net

Fabulous though I am sure the Zeiss lens is, this "review" seems a joke. Zeiss deserves better. So do we.

Now an empirical, honourable, considered comparision between the Zeiss, Nikon and Canon fast 24mm lenses would be very, very interesting. Being a 24L Mk2 owner I am very interested in the "reviewer's" assertion that the Zeiss at "5.6 and f11 this lens is leaps and bounds ahead of anything out there". I've made sharp four foot prints from the 24L Mk 2 at f8, and I await with great interest to see if the Zeiss truly, objectively, delivers so much more! BTW the Nikon equivalent is a famously good lens too. Lets see.

EDIT - the "reviewer" references an old review based on the OLD Mk1 Canon lens for his striking observations:

http://www.16-9.net/lens_tests/24mmcup/final/24mm_final4.html

Yes, your new Zeiss is better than a discontinued Canon!!!

Either this "reviewer" is a moron, or I am.

Nov 28, 2011 at 08:19 AM
ulrikft2
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

David: Jorge is somewhat of a.. I'm not sure if fanboy is the right word, but he does love his zeiss, and that does influence his writing, both on this forum and on the zeissimages site..

Nov 28, 2011 at 09:35 AM
David Baldwin
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A collection of 25mm f2 Shots with the new zeiss

Thanks ulrikft2

I have no problem with the OP, just the "review" - I can cope with fanboism, not misrepresentations of fact.

To be clear, since 1990 I have owned Olympus 28mm f2, Nikkor 28mm f2, Nikkor 28mm f1.4, Canon 24L Mk1 and own the Canon 24L Mk2. Hopefully this demonstrates I am not a fanboi, if the Zeiss were dramatically better than my 24L Mk2 I would strongly consider a change. I love fast wide lenses, and would consider any reputable brand.

This is why sloppy, misleading reviews upset me so much. My money and time are at stake.

Nov 28, 2011 at 09:40 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password