Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2011 · Where is SD1

Mescalamba
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Where is SD1

I think SD1 would be good camera, and having money for that, I would try it.. but not with Sigma lens. I think its perfect candidate for Zeiss/Leica lens.

Tho that ICC issues could be real problem..

Nov 29, 2011 at 05:09 PM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Where is SD1

Well said, kwalsh ... and obviously from a much more informed view than mine. But no matter how one looks at the Sigma/Foveon cameras ... whether from the inside out or from camera design on inward ... these are failed tools in any number of ways. SPP certainly didn't help any.

- Steve

Nov 29, 2011 at 05:28 PM
Alf Beharie
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Where is SD1

phuang3 wrote:
I guess Sigma does not intend to push the sale on SD1, thst's why the MSRP is rocket high. I feel SD1 will be discontiuned very soon when current stock is out. $9700 for a 15MP APS-C is a bad joke, not to mention the idea of using Sigma lenses on Foveon sensor.

But there is no need to use Sigma lenses on a Foveon sensor...I have an SD14 and I use Canon lenses, Nikon lenses, Minolta lenses, Carl Zeiss lenses, Tokina lenses, Tamron lenses, Pentax lenses, MTO lenses, Helios lenses, Mamiya 645 lenses and many more.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:22 AM
Alf Beharie
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Where is SD1

Mescalamba wrote:
I think SD1 would be good camera, and having money for that, I would try it.. but not with Sigma lens. I think its perfect candidate for Zeiss/Leica lens.

It can alreadly take Zeiss and Leica R lenses, as well as Canon lenses, Nikon lenses, Minolta lenses, Tokina lenses, Tamron lenses, Pentax lenses, MTO lenses, Helios lenses, Mamiya 645 lenses and many more, just as my SD14 can.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:30 AM
Alf Beharie
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Where is SD1

Sosua wrote:
Wow - can you imagine the depreciation of an SD1 - it would be insane.

It has another flaw, besides the price - a Sigma mount.

Thats not a flaw...The SA mount can actually take far more lenses than the Nikon mount, including Nikon lenses.

Sosua wrote:
Sigma do some decent lenses, but it only seemed to look really good with the 70mm macro to be honest. Even the reasonably well regarded 8-16 really struggled on it.

Dont worry, there is no need to use Sigma lenses on the SA mount.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:39 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

snowboarder
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Where is SD1

Mescalamba wrote:

That Sigma mount is so limited I can't see any adapters available for it...
If I have SD1 with a Sigma lens vs. NEX-5N + a great lens like CV 125,
guess which image will be better.

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:47 AM
nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Where is SD1

Alf Beharie wrote:
It can alreadly take Zeiss and Leica R lenses, as well as Canon lenses, Nikon lenses, Minolta lenses, Tokina lenses, Tamron lenses, Pentax lenses, MTO lenses, Helios lenses, Mamiya 645 lenses and many more, just as my SD14 can.

Please be nice to tell us how you do that.
thanks
Bob

Nov 30, 2011 at 01:56 AM
contas
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Where is SD1

@veroman : if Canon can do the best and if I didn't put IQ to the 1st place I would buy Canon 1DsIII and buy L-serie lenses - SD1 is among the most expensive 35mm DSLR and Zeiss lenses are expensive and needed to converse : it's a bitter trek , waiting for whom who dared IQ seeking.
In this thread who own SD has different opinion from who do not.If I were Sigma CEO, I would let a popular SD trial and see how the market share raises and snail goes out the shell.

Nov 30, 2011 at 02:23 AM
Alf Beharie
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Where is SD1

snowboarder wrote:
That Sigma mount is so limited I can't see any adapters available for it...

Then obviously you simply have'nt been looking in the right places!...There are several types of M42-SA adapter available for the SA mount, two types of Nikon adapter (one for the SD9 and SD10 only, the other for all SA mount cameras via an M42-SA adapter), Pentax K mount lenses can fit straight on without needing an adapter (via a very simple but often non-reversable mod), M645-SA adapters can be made very simply with a M645 #1 extension ring, and fully reversable mount swap kits are available for the SD14, SD15 and SD1, to convert them to either C/Y, Olympus OM, Nikon F, Canon FL/FD and Leica R mounts.

snowboarder wrote:
> If I have SD1 with a Sigma lens vs. NEX-5N + a great lens like CV 125,
guess which image will be better.

Thats a silly statement...The NEX cannot hope to match the SD1's resolution, even when the SD1 is fitted with a lower quality lens than the NEX, so obviously, the Sigma will walk it.
Luckily though, there is no need to use Sigma lenses on the SD1, unless you simply must have AF...But Canon EF lenses can be easily converted to SA mount and they can AF on the SA mount too so again, there is really no need to use Sigma lenses, on any SA mount camera.

Dec 01, 2011 at 01:34 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Where is SD1

nugeny wrote:
Please be nice to tell us how you do that.
thanks
Bob

Its slightly "hardcore" for some ppl, but alternative guys simply swap mount for Leica R. Not too hard to do it and quite easy to switch it back. Not that there would be any need for it, after one used Leica lens.

Tho only decent photos are from Leica R and SD15 combination, I havent seen SD1 yet, but I guess they can be pretty amazing (with obvious limitations coming from SD1, but still they will be very good).

You can do similar things with Canon (I saw replacement mount for FD), but most ppl isnt happy with sawing off mirror or not being able to use good AF lens when possible.

Dec 03, 2011 at 12:28 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password