Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · D700 LCD brightness

xunchicrewx
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · D700 LCD brightness

Im coming from a D300 and i alway had my LCD brightness at 0. I realized quickly that when checking the LCD to see if i got "the shot" to make sure everything was sharp etc that once i transferred things to my computer things were good. Now I just recently got my D700 and i set my LCD and 95% of all my other menu settings identical to my D300 but the LCD seems to have much brighter highlights. Im curious as to what other D700 owners set theirs too.

I realize checking the histogram and such is important however im afraid that if i turn it down i dont want to quickly thing that I have to over or under expose to get the correct exposure. I guess being used to my D300 has locked me into that mindset.

Thank you for the help.

Nov 26, 2011 at 03:31 PM
Gaylon Holmes
• • •
p.1 #2 · D700 LCD brightness

I don't really use the LCD to consider exposure values but I've found the D700 gives a more realistic review when the brightness is turned down a notch, -!.

Nov 26, 2011 at 04:21 PM
brett maxwell
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · D700 LCD brightness

I keep mine on my D700 and D3 at +3. I do this to encourage me to actually expose darker than my final image because underexposing and bringing up in post is how you get the most dynamic range from the sensor. With film it's common to expose for the shadow and develop for the highlights, with digital it's opposite, expose for the highlight and develop for the shadow.

So at +3, when the image looks "right" on the screen, and there are no blinkies (red channel only) on important areas, my exposure is exactly what I want, even though it's actually about 1 stop underexposed from the final image. Then my default LR preset has brightness cranked up, which affects the mid tones and leaves the highlights alone.

Nov 26, 2011 at 09:45 PM
Mattski1
• •
p.1 #4 · D700 LCD brightness

Very interesting idea, Brett. I think I'm going to give it a try...

Nov 26, 2011 at 09:55 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #5 · D700 LCD brightness

brett maxwell wrote:
I keep mine on my D700 and D3 at +3. I do this to encourage me to actually expose darker than my final image because underexposing and bringing up in post is how you get the most dynamic range from the sensor. With film it's common to expose for the shadow and develop for the highlights, with digital it's opposite, expose for the highlight and develop for the shadow.

So at +3, when the image looks "right" on the screen, and there are no blinkies (red channel only) on important areas, my exposure is exactly what I want, even though
...Show more

+1

Nov 26, 2011 at 09:58 PM
pr4photos
• • •
p.1 #6 · D700 LCD brightness

Not sure about the LCD brightness without having a look but I do know that I had to adjust the diopter on the D700 a couple of clicks. Every other camera I have used the diopter is set to neutral. Went back to my D300 and played and it still needs neutral, but the D700 definitely needs to be a couple of clicks off, at least for me

Nov 28, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

KrautFed
• • •
p.1 #7 · D700 LCD brightness

<-- D300 & D700 user. I have both set to -2 clicks on brightness and always have image review set on histogram. The LCD has very little to do with the exposure. The only reason I turn down brightness is so that it doesn't hurt my eyes in low light, and gives a little longer battery life if I'm chimping.

Nov 28, 2011 at 07:58 PM
Carl Feather
• • •
p.1 #8 · D700 LCD brightness

I have mine dialed back all the way. Also dialed back the D7000 and it is still too bright. Seems to be an issue with latter Nikons.

Nov 29, 2011 at 04:49 PM
JBPhotog
• • •
p.1 #9 · D700 LCD brightness

I set mine to -1 which is very close to what it will look like on my calibrated monitor. I *DON'T* use the LCD to set exposure, histogram is used for that purpose. And if I want to see an ultimately accurate exposure, I use UniWB and histogram.

Nov 29, 2011 at 08:55 PM
jlawrence
• • •
p.1 #10 · D700 LCD brightness

my d700 and my d7000 are both set at +1. it keeps me from overexposing too much.

Nov 30, 2011 at 08:32 AM
runamuck
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · D700 LCD brightness

Holy Cr@p! Something I missed worrying about! How did that happen?

Dec 01, 2011 at 02:36 AM
WiPhotoguy
• •
p.1 #12 · D700 LCD brightness

As others have said...use the histogram for exposure verification......

But, to keep it looking close to the end result, here is what I do....

In my darker photo studio I use -2
Outside before dusk 0
Outside daytime +2

Dec 04, 2011 at 03:00 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password