Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4              6       7       end

Archive 2011 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Lasse Eriksson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

kbarrera wrote:
Every time I read these posts, I hear how great the Gitzo tripod is as compared to the Induro/ Benro models. I always hear they're simply made better. As someone with a machinist background who fabricates a lot of my own camera brackets and support systems, I challenge those who make these claims to be specific as to the build quality and superior materials. Is the carbon fiber better? is the machining better? Are the bolts better?
is the design superior?
I have dissembled both Gitzo and my own Induro CT-414 and can't seem to find any discernible difference in
...Show more

You also have to be specific. What two tripods do you like to compare. One Gitzo and one Induro. They have probably 40-50 different models

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:18 PM
kbarrera
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Point taken. However the general consensus is that ; products like Induro and Benro are cheap Knockoffs made by the Chinese.

I'm not in the product review business. I do however dispute the claim that the products I mentioned are generally inferior. Specific enough?

Al

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:28 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #3 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Does Induro even have tripods without center-column Or tripods that you can adjust every leg in every angle you prefer (like the Gitzo EX)
I have not seen any Induro like those. Do they exist?

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:34 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #4 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:
I thought I already mentioned. The collar design is very poor and the nylon sheaths that contract as you screw the joints closed is prone to breakage. There is no good fix. Customer support would not address it because it's out of warranty even though clearly it's a design problem as a quick google search will reveal.

i have never had a chinch collar break yet on on any of the 3 gitzos i owned. i am down to one and thats been around the world a few times with me. no padded bag either. the white plastic sliders are still working just fine to. if you could demonstrate a failure they will honor iit under warrantee which is to the original owner for life. now normal wear is not covered and they do have spare parts available.

things i've discovered on issues with the gitzo legs. many individuals just gotta see how it works pulls it apart and has difficulty putting it back together correctly. i have found them upside down and forced in. i have had to educate a few on correct reassembly. the dimpled sliders are the biggest issue with some. they reside on all gitzo legs and most other of this type including RRS. i find 70% of failures are induced by the owner. and when the stories are told minor facts are left by the wayside. being that this design is common throught the twistlock type tripod it shows up in other brands too. gitzo just gets the spotlight.

Edited on Dec 14, 2011 at 12:43 AM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:37 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

kbarrera wrote:
Point taken. However the general consensus is that ; products like Induro and Benro are cheap Knockoffs made by the Chinese.

I'm not in the product review business. I do however dispute the claim that the products I mentioned are generally inferior. Specific enough?

Al

I would not call your Induro cheap. It cost $ 665 at B&H. That's about the same price as a Gitzo.

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #6 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

kbarrera wrote:

Al

early Benros were not made nearly as well as they are today. Induro is made in a Benro facility built to manufacture the Induro line for the MAC group

Dec 13, 2011 at 10:55 PM
gardenvalley
• • •
p.3 #7 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

I must confess that I have a slight anti-Gitzo bias based on past experience. About 2 years ago, after having used a monster Uni-Loc and then an aluminium 055 for years, I decided to upgrade to something a bit (a lot) lighter so, based on the reputation of Gitzo and the almost religious fervour with which they were promoted/defended,
I elected to buy a 2-series basalt, the 2930 I think it was. Basalt was touted as being stiffer than aluminium but lighter, almost as stiff as carbon but cheaper. Sounds good.
As the nearest dealer with any kind of stock was 200 miles away I had to buy it mail-order. What could go wrong, it`s a Gitzo FFS. When it arrived I removed it from the plastic liner to find that 2 of the screw-in rubber feet had come off and the third was loose.
No big deal so I set it up to marvel at this wonder of Gitzo magnificence. What a POS. The much-vaunted ALR leg locks felt plasticky and mushy to operate, but I could overlook this and even get used to it because IT`S A GITZO. What I could not overlook was the general lack of stability as the whole thing would twist when ever any torsion was applied. It would flex alarmingly even with the slight force required to move my camera against the pre-set tension on my ballhead. This can`t be right, IT` A GITZO.
Well, it was right and I have never been so disappointed in a product which promised so much and delivered........absolutely nothing. This thing was a toy, in fact it could have been painted pink and marketed as a Barbie-Pod although Mattel might have done a better Job.
Yes, yes, I know, all you Gitzo fanbois and apologists, it was a one-off, no company`s products are perfect etc. etc., blah blah blah. And that is why I do not worship at the Sacred Altar of Gitzo-ness. Currently I`m using a Manfrotto 055CX with which I`m very happy. Should I wish to change in the future I would consider any and all makes, including Gitzo, but their`s would have to be an order of magnitude better than their competitors to get my business. Rant over, please resume normal bickering.

Steps away from keyboard and assumes the position.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:05 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

thank you for the entertaining rant now you know me and where i stand on my major tripod. it has 3 letters. i like my 2540ex but if that 3 letter company created a competitor it would not take too much of a push

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:15 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.3 #9 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

kbarrera wrote:
Every time I read these posts, I hear how great the Gitzo tripod is as compared to the Induro/ Benro models. I always hear they're simply made better. As someone with a machinist background who fabricates a lot of my own camera brackets and support systems, I challenge those who make these claims to be specific as to the build quality and superior materials. Is the carbon fiber better? is the machining better? Are the bolts better?
is the design superior?
I have dissembled both Gitzo and my own Induro CT-414 and can't seem to find any discernible difference in
...Show more

I've found the Gitzo CF to be a bit more rigid than those in other brands. This is apparent when you set them up side by side and apply some rotational force to the legs. Also, in the long run, I see far fewer gitzos come in for repair.

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:19 AM
kbarrera
• • •
p.3 #10 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

That point I will concede. In order to support my 1D with a 500 f/4 & gimbal, I had to got to the heavier ct-414 Induro. But I will tell you. I can mount a 50 cal. Machine gun on it and it won't budge. The little extra weight does not bother me either.

Al

Dec 14, 2011 at 12:43 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

peter_n
• • •
p.3 #11 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Does Induro even have tripods without center-column Or tripods that you can adjust every leg in every angle you prefer (like the Gitzo EX) I have not seen any Induro like those. Do they exist?

I don't think they make something like the Gitzo EX but Benro have tripods they call "versatile". They do make systematics.

Dec 14, 2011 at 03:23 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.3 #12 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

And this one which I've heard is better made than the gitzo

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induro-CT213-8X-Carbon-Tripod-/130608689639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e68e271e7

Dec 14, 2011 at 04:16 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Induro-CT213-8X-Carbon-Tripod-/130608689639?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e68e271e7

Here's a way to test the leg locks of a tripod. Extend a single leg, keep it perfectly vertical, and put a lot of weight on it. Lean on it even. You'll see who has the strongest leg locks. I can tell you fist hand that Gitzo tripods with the more recent G-Lock configuration will not budge. I can physically hang from a 3 series. I've tried this with The CT213, and the legs did collapse with only moderate weight. Don't get me wrong, they did okay --- better than flip locks --- but this is an area where Gitzo really excels, which is important because the legs locks are the weakest link of the system.

Dec 14, 2011 at 04:43 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #14 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

peter_n wrote:
I don't think they make something like the Gitzo EX but Benro have tripods they call "versatile". They do make systematics.

But he wrote the Induro brand. I know that Benro have the systematic style tripod

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:01 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:

Better than which Gitzo tripod

And have you owned or used it

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:04 AM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.3 #16 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Lars Johnsson wrote:
Better than which Gitzo tripod

He seems to have a bone to pick with Gitzo, and assumes that all Gitzo tripods are junk based on his experience with an older aluminum model that has completely different leg locks and construction than the current models. It's somewhat like judging a 2012 Ford Mustang based on a Model T.

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:13 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.3 #17 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Ben Horne wrote:
He seems to have a bone to pick with Gitzo, and assumes that all Gitzo tripods are junk based on his experience with an older aluminum model that has completely different leg locks and construction than the current models. It's somewhat like judging a 2012 Ford Mustang based on a Model T.

Just as you guys seem to think any tripod made in china is just a cheap, knockoff made of pencil-lead graphite.

Edited on Dec 14, 2011 at 06:20 PM · View previous versions

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:06 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.3 #18 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:

You've heard, eh? Well, that solves it then. They must better.

You're clearly bitter about your experience with Gitzo. I'm not saying you aren't right to feel that way if you didn't experience good quality and didn't get good service. I am saying that it is hard to deny how positive the reputation is for Gitzo. I don't think you can fairly call it mass fanboi-ism. At the end of the day, marketing and coolness don't tend to have an enduring appeal for a product like this.

It reminds me of the raging debate around Apple. There are lots of folks who evangelize Apple, and while I think a certain number of them buy into the hype and marketing, the fact of the matter is that they make a good product while servicing and satisfying their customers well. I compete with them, so I'd love to put them out of business, but I'd never say they make junk (like some companies do...). Have they made mistakes? Yes. Have they had quality defects? Yes. Have they had incidents of poor customer service? Absolutely. But they don't make a habit of it - those kinds of things are the exception to the rule, and their market reputation bears it out.

Just like Gitzo.

I have no issues with Induro, Suiri, etc., either. They are fine deals at their price point, and probably a better fit for enthusiast photographers like me.

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:10 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.3 #19 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

Ben Horne wrote:
Here's a way to test the leg locks of a tripod. Extend a single leg, keep it perfectly vertical, and put a lot of weight on it. Lean on it even. You'll see who has the strongest leg locks. I can tell you fist hand that Gitzo tripods with the more recent G-Lock configuration will not budge. I can physically hang from a 3 series. I've tried this with The CT213, and the legs did collapse with only moderate weight. Don't get me wrong, they did okay --- better than flip locks --- but this is an area where
...Show more

Thanks for the quantifiable data. That actually makes sense and is something that means more to me than just "go for the gitzo, you won't regret it".

In my case, the comparable gitzo is out of my price range. I am considering a velbon 730 tripod. Any experience with that and how it compares in terms of sturdyness?

Dec 14, 2011 at 06:18 PM
Ben Horne
• • • • • •
p.3 #20 · Gitzo tripod vs. Induro tripod

jzucker wrote:
Thanks for the quantifiable data. That actually makes sense and is something that means more to me than just "go for the gitzo, you won't regret it".

In my case, the comparable gitzo is out of my price range. I am considering a velbon 730 tripod. Any experience with that and how it compares in terms of sturdyness?

I really wish someone told me "Go for the Gitzo, you won't regret it" when I was first starting out. It would have saved me a lot of money in the long run. I went through quite a few tripods because I didn't know the difference. I found out the hard way. Instead of spending $600 on a Gitzo Mountaineer, I spend $100 on a cheap tripod that broke. I then replaced it with a $200 tripod that broke --- and finally a $300 tripod was still wasn't what I needed. Do the math. :-)

Dec 15, 2011 at 06:55 AM
1       2      

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password