Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

AuntiPode
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

No color adjustments, only a bit of curves and mid-tone bump.

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:44 PM
Kaden K.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

Beautiful Bloody Mary evenings.

Nov 26, 2011 at 06:49 AM
cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

Red skies at night, a sailor's delight.... Red skies in morning, sailor take warning... At least when crossing the Atlantic from Europe to the Americas..

Good example of how to crop when the sky is the star of the show, but within the sky the star is (quite literally) the sun. That's where attention gets pulled by contrast wherever my eye enters (top/bottom/left/right) which makes the composition feel more static than when placed off center. The vertical rather than horizontal crop also makes it feel static and "cramped".

That said I've also taken sun shots (usually sunsets on Panama City Beach, FL) with vertical crops where the sun wound up in the center, but it was dictated framing the interesting foreground content. Yours is a nice dramatic sky shot, but when you can also get more interesting action with people in the foreground it makes, I think, for a more interesting photo and story imagined from the POV of the people seen in the shot. Here are some examples of mine of what I'm suggesting....

There the vertical crop was dictated by the angle of the beach and the position of the sun on it's reflection working a leading line at an equal opposite angle creating an X pattern right where the person bending over is looking...

With these I had walked down to the beach to see the light show with a P&S in my pocket, and caught this sequence in landscape mode....

Then seeing this couple near the water I ran down behind them and grabbed this one...

I'll only use portrait mode for a landscape/skyscape if the foreground action dictates the need. Was there something you had to crop out of your shoot than made you opt for vertical?

Nov 26, 2011 at 05:16 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

I tire of relentless landscape orientation for landscape/sky scenes. The foreground was rather cluttered. Consequently, to gain maximum sky, a portrait orientation was a reasonable option. I have landscape versions that have their own more conventional charm. I posted the portrait orientation precisely because it doesn't conform to the conventional landscape paradigm.

Nov 26, 2011 at 09:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

Very nice, Karen. And a sky I wish I was there to fully appreciate.
I can understand your choice to go vertical.
My crit would be to see if you can sharpen the edges of the silhouetted trees. Maybe you prefer the softness. I might also consider darkening the rooftop lower right unless you are going for a more documentary image.
Scot

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:15 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

The palms are about as well resolved as the camera/lens combination will allow, although some of the sharpness doesn't show in the web-sized image. The camera has a fair amount of noise in dark areas that limits resolution. I'm hoping the new GX1 will be much better. If so, I'll get one.

Here's what the palms look like at about 100 %.

Nov 27, 2011 at 02:38 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

Here's a more conventional compo with more exposure to grab the pastels. And, BTW, the images were made before the sun rose above the horizon, FWIW.

Nov 27, 2011 at 02:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cgardner
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

AuntiPode wrote:
I tire of relentless landscape orientation for landscape/sky scenes.

I once complained to God about exactly the same thing. The next thing I remember is waking up lying prone on the beach, ear in the sand, looking at the horizon at a right angle. I've never again questioned the wisdom of the design of either the world or way my eyes are arranged horizontally vs vertically on my head or tired of looking at sunsets in landscape mode.

Nov 27, 2011 at 01:37 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

AuntiPode wrote:
I tire of relentless landscape orientation for landscape/sky scenes. The foreground was rather cluttered. Consequently, to gain maximum sky, a portrait orientation was a reasonable option. I have landscape versions that have their own more conventional charm. I posted the portrait orientation precisely because it doesn't conform to the conventional landscape paradigm.

Lovely photo Karen.

No explanations necessary. It's your vision. Even a cursory run through of images made by famous landscape/nature photographers turns up numerous landscape/sky scenes in vertical orientation. I don't regard turning my camera 90 degrees as questioning God's wisdom.

I do have one question. Have you considered touching out the two street lamps on the left? Do you think they add to or take away from the photo? I think the one where you see the post works fine, there is another light that I'm not sure of.

Nov 27, 2011 at 04:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

+1 @ street lights pulling my eye into the corner.

Landscapes predominantly have horizontal lines in them and as such can be very nasty at chopping the vertical orientation ... so that makes them tricky to finding supporting lines to minimize that "chopped" effect. I like shooting verticals and seek to find "good composition for them", but it's a bit easier said than done ... you just have to be a bit attuned to them.

Cloned out the lower left lights, a little haircut off the top and a smidge of burn at some cloud shadows.

But I'm sure that none of us can do it justice to what it was like being there.

Nov 27, 2011 at 07:46 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

I go back and forth about the street lights, but I usually feel they add some sense of place and a little eye wandering isn't a bad thing if the image isn't otherwise cluttered. The point-like sources are street lights. The general foreground illumination is morning's version of gloaming.

Nov 27, 2011 at 07:48 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

I've looked at the edit and I've looked at the original on a better monitor. The post for the second light reads now.

I like it better with the lampposts. The only thing I might suggest is to add a highlight along the right edge of each, in one of the colors of the sky, to add just a smidge of separation from the background.

Nov 27, 2011 at 11:06 PM
tom lozinski

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Kawau Bay Sunrise

The water curve in the sand is the best.

Dec 02, 2011 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password