Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

AHIKER

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

I belong to a camera club and have a problem. We have a new member who told us he was a "beginner" to photography but for our competitions he signed himself up in the "Masters" classification (or highest class) and started submitting really spectacula photos. He told us he has a point and shoot but his pictures are master class quality. Our problem is that we think he may be submitting someone elses photos and telling us they are his. We thought we could just check the metadata and see what was there. However, the metadata in his photos is non existant!!! We do not know whether his camera cannot save metadata OR if he is intentionally deleting it. Question: Can one "turn off" the function of saving metadata with todays new digital cameras? Apparently his camera is quite new. He has declined to include metadata with his pictures and so we are suspicious. Can enyone give us some advice?
Thanks

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:24 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

It's there on the files out of camera BUT just about any software used to view/edit/upload can strip it. I smell a rat,
what's the "master" have to hide
Rindge I used to shoot nudes at Fitzwilliam Quarry early 70's

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:36 PM
AHIKER

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

I'm waiting for an opportunity to find out what camera he has. e belongs to our club but has not attended any meetings!!! He sends his pics to us as digital files. Says he works nights so can't attend the meetings. We smell a rat as well!!!
Thanks for your reply...

Nov 25, 2011 at 05:00 PM
redcrown
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

Metadata can easily be faked, so you can't catch a fraud that way.

Maybe try tineye to see if you can find his photos somewhere else.

http://www.tineye.com/

Easy way to fake metadata:

Find and download photo A with the metadata you want to use. Load it into an editor (Photoshop). Load a different photo B into same editor. Copy photo B and paste into photo A. Flatten and save with new name photo C. Be sure to resize photo C so it's not bigger than the max possible with photo A. Photo C now has the metadata of photo A and the image of photo B.

Nov 25, 2011 at 05:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

Depending on the software and settings the EXIF data may be removed during RAW file conversion and PP, so that alone is not suspicious. However, if it is a private club there should be rules such as the member must attend some meetings or must submit the files in a certain manner.

EBH

Nov 25, 2011 at 06:24 PM
AHIKER

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

I guess as a club we should REQUIRE metadata be supplied with each picture. My only
concern is whether or not there are cameras for which they do not create metadata with
the image. I do not know of any myself. Thanks for the support.

Nov 25, 2011 at 09:32 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can metadata storage be turned off?

If you require original jpegs then there will be EXIF data from digital cameras. However, even that can be manipulated.

EBH

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:25 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password