Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · RRS L Bracket question

Matt OHarver
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RRS L Bracket question

I have always used RRS L brackets with my Canon gear, so when I switched to Nikon I naturally bought one to use. Well I just pulled it out for the first time only to realize the Nikon L bracket isn't made with the threads on both sides to attached my quick release from my tripod too. What do I have to buy to be able to flip this from horizontal to portrait. Thanks

Matt

Nov 25, 2011 at 03:26 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RRS L Bracket question

what QR are you using? these are designed to work with the arca swiss clamping system and the clamping surfaces are integrated into the design of L itself.

ref: http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=BD3-L&type=0&eq=&desc=BD3-L%3a-L-Plate-for-all-D3-series-cameras&key=it

Nov 25, 2011 at 03:45 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RRS L Bracket question

I am using a quick release that came in the tripod and head I am using. It's just a cheap Dynatran head with quick release. But the Canon L brackets I have used have had the threads in both orientations.

I have a job where I'll actually use this on the 15th of Dec. So I need to get this sorted out. Thanks

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:20 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RRS L Bracket question

One of these to go on my ball head?

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:39 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RRS L Bracket question

well the only real options are to adapt a arca swiss clamp assy to your current head or just replace the current head with the appropriate arca swiss type head with the clamp.

the original threaded points were for screwing in a monopod.

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · RRS L Bracket question

Matt OHarver wrote:
One of these to go on my ball head?

being that i don't know what is currently on top of yours now i can only say that is the proper clamp as long as you can attach it to your QR plate and lock it down

i have a feeling though you might be better off replacing the entire head.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/655334-REG/Induro_479_001_BHD1_Ballhead.html

Edited on Nov 25, 2011 at 04:55 AM · View previous versions

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:49 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · RRS L Bracket question

OK thanks, actually I can't with that one, but with the 1/4x20 threaded model of that I can. Thanks so much for your help. Going to hit the order with B&H so I can get it here and make sure I have no issues with it.

Matt

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:51 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · RRS L Bracket question

you can go with a 3/8-16 model which is better in the long run when you replace the dynatran. the standard base for a tripod has a 3/8-16. you can purchase a reducing bushing for a few $ and screw it right in.

Nov 25, 2011 at 05:13 AM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · RRS L Bracket question

Thanks so much. I will order either the ball head or the plate in the morning after I sleep on it. I only use my tripod about 3 times a year so I hate to spend so much on a ball head to use it three times, just to turn to portrait mode.

Thanks for your time I appreciate it.

Nov 25, 2011 at 05:15 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · RRS L Bracket question

Here's a couple of photos showing RRS L-brackets being used with adapted A-S plates. The first three show a RRS B2-Pro dual mount clamp attached to a Manfrotto 410 compact geared head (which has a permanent RC4 base on it). The last photo is a similar setup on a Manfrotto 468MG Magnesium Hydrostatic head. I recently replaced the top of the 468MG with a dedicated Wimberley A-S clamp that attaches directly to the bright-metal stem attached to the ball - it is a much better solution.

Nov 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password