Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

tagan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

Hi,

IŽd like to ask people at this forum who truly use their cameras a lot, which camera strap is worth the money for a Nikon D3 as original one is a nice joke.

thank you,

tagan

Nov 24, 2011 at 06:19 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

joke as it may seem many pros use it. i myself use the optech utility strap. it is a low to no bounce strap with good grip

Nov 24, 2011 at 06:52 PM
tagan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

thanks

Nov 24, 2011 at 07:04 PM
lukeb
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

sjms wrote:
joke as it may seem many pros use it. i myself use the optech utility strap. it is a low to no bounce strap with good grip

+1

Red to match my hair (or whats left of it)

Nov 24, 2011 at 07:30 PM
caad4rep
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

I've used a Domke Gripper and Capturing Couture Rocker.

Nov 24, 2011 at 08:17 PM
pw-pix
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

Kata Reflex, has the neoprene softness with a bit of stretch. The only thing I don't really like about it is the little pouches on each side, it's just unecesary bulk.
If you get the Reflex E (quick release), make sure it is the revised version with the large D-rings and not the earlier type with smaller metal rings.

Nov 24, 2011 at 09:12 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

I do not use a strap. I use a keyring and carabiner

Nov 24, 2011 at 09:16 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

The Canon CPS strap is pretty sweet. (now THATS a joke )

I've been very happy with the Black Rapid RS7. I've carried it all day many times with my old D90, 17-55 and 70-300 without any problem. And I use it now with a 1D and 24-70 2.8. Never had any shoulder or neck pain from it, and I like that it's fast to move around and take off. It's a little expensive though, but I've seen some sell for $25-$30 on the B&S here.

I was previously quite happy with one of these. A friend of mine still uses one on his D700, but with your D3 being even heavier, I'm not sure I'd go that route. If you find one in a local store, I'd check it out though. It did feel really good around the neck and over the shoulder.

Nov 24, 2011 at 09:34 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

hardlyboring wrote:
I do not use a strap. I use a keyring and carabiner

Are you using standard split rings or special ones?

Would you mind providing a picture? I'm trying to figure out a way to do this without damaging anything. Main reason is to attach body to backpack so I don't have to bear weight around neck or hold camera while hiking. Thanks in advance!

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:57 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

Strapless here, D3 pretty much lives in my right hand.

Solution for ^ no_surrender...check out Capture by Peak Design.
I use it on my Glass Taxi strap when sportin' 2 bodies...it's great!

Nov 25, 2011 at 06:00 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632769-REG/Elinchrom_EL_19287_Shoulder_Strap_for_Quadra.html
Although not listed as a conventional camera strap, it's a miricle for that use. I discovered it when the friend, who I second shoot weddings for, bought some Quadra lights. Of course my job was then to carry around the light on a stick with the battery pac on my shoulder.Well, I'm here to tell you, that pac STAYS on my rounded shoulders. So now I have one on my camera as well. You can't tell from the little pic, but it has raised bumps on one side that act as grippers and boy, do they work!

Nov 25, 2011 at 10:26 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

Thanks Will, I ended up ordering a strap and camera support strap from Thinktank.

Nov 25, 2011 at 01:14 PM
tagan
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

thank you very much for sharing your ideas

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

I use OpTech and Tamrac straps with the quick-release clips. Mostly I don't use the straps, but at the edge of the cliffs or hanging out of a window they are useful.

EBH

Nov 27, 2011 at 10:47 PM
4x4rock
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

Get the Canon CPS strap...it's great

Nov 28, 2011 at 05:37 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

When I want to use a strap I use an OpTech USA strap with the shaped neoprene material to better fit the curve of my neck or shoulder and so spread the load more evenly and comfortably. OpTech have accessories such as extenders (if you want to carry the camera/lens lower down by your hip instead of at your chest or stomach) and velcro strips that prevent the clips accidentally coming undone.

I use a Canon hand strap on my Canon pro cameras but the Nikons do not have a strap connection point at the bottom of the camera, and I don't like using the optional camera base plates that do have the bottom connector.

- Alan

Nov 30, 2011 at 04:31 AM
rankamateur
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

I tried the Black Rapid and it just did not work for me. It always seemed like the thing was swinging to and fro. I am now using the UPstrap. Really comfortable and the quick release comes in handy when your putting the camera on a tripod and don't want a big strap dangling everywhere.
http://www.upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_code=SLR-QR-H

Nov 30, 2011 at 02:19 PM
cohenfive
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

i'm another optech fan...although it gets a bit stretched when i am handholding my d3 with 500vr attached!! but basically it is a really comfortable, well made strap with the quick release clip option.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:29 PM
monochrome
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

rankamateur wrote:
I tried the Black Rapid and it just did not work for me. It always seemed like the thing was swinging to and fro. I am now using the UPstrap. Really comfortable and the quick release comes in handy when your putting the camera on a tripod and don't want a big strap dangling everywhere.
http://www.upstrap-pro.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_code=SLR-QR-H

I use both BR and UPstrap depending which body. Like them both, but I find the UPstrap rubber smell, to be a little annoying.

And if you're over 6' tall, get the xl long UPstrap.

Nov 30, 2011 at 06:40 PM
HerbChong
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Camera strap advice for Nikon D3 !

there are reasons to dislike the Nikon strap but ruggedness is not one of them.

tagan wrote:
IŽd like to ask people at this forum who truly use their cameras a lot, which camera strap is worth the money for a Nikon D3 as original one is a nice joke.

Dec 01, 2011 at 01:35 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.