Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · license plate photos?

HLPoulos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · license plate photos?

Hi guys,

I've never posted in this forum before—I'm usually in People, Weddings, or Wildlife (if horses count as wildlife!).

I'm in a little bit of a sticky situation. I posted on Facebook a cellphone pic of my neighbor blocking my truck in so I couldn't get out. She was being snarky and aggressive, and I'm up to my ears in her crap, so instead of getting high blood pressure about it, I posted it on FB for a laugh. The ensuing comments were indeed funny, if juvenile. I can post screenshots if needed. The picture does indeed show her license plate. I just needed to let off some steam, and I didn't mention her name or where we live. I didn't say anything about her. The caption read "This is how my neighbor parked last night. She's awesome."

She texted me today to let me know that someone had shown her the picture, and she demanded I remove it because it was an "invasion of her privacy."

I do live in a rental property. I live on an 80-acre parcel in a triplex. My horse lives right outside my front door; I post photos of him all the time and my landlord thinks they're great. She enjoys seeing pictures of her horses, as well.

Am I under any legal obligation to either: 1. blur out her license plate number, or 2. if my landlord asks that I not take photos on her property, cease to take photos of my horse?

I've tried looking this stuff up online, but I'm getting a bunch of hearsay, I think.

I'm sorry for the seemingly petty drama and the wall of text, but I want to know if anyone has advice about whether I'm allowed, as a RENTER, to take photos of someone else's truck, who happens to live on the same rental property. I don't want things to escalate to where I can't take photos of my own dang horse.

I really appreciate your thoughts.

Haley

Nov 24, 2011 at 02:59 AM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · license plate photos?

Haley,

unless there are attorneys on this site who are licensed to practice in your jurisdiction, I'd recommend that you get in touch with one who is, thereby enabling you to have the best possible information.

Nov 24, 2011 at 03:30 AM
HLPoulos
• • •
p.1 #3 · license plate photos?

I know, Anthony. You're right. I just wondered if anyone knew off the top of their head. Thank you! I'll be getting in touch with an attorney after Thanksgiving. Nobody's gonna ruin my favorite holiday!

Nov 24, 2011 at 03:36 AM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #4 · license plate photos?

Generally anything in public view has no legal expectation of privacy and thus may be photographed. Anyone can see your neighbors license plate at any time so she has no right to expect it to be private. There are of course exception.

Nov 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

HLPoulos
• • •
p.1 #5 · license plate photos?

Mickey, you're right, of course. I just wondered if there would be a difference because it's on property that we rent, not own, and I don't want there to be repercussions as far as photographing my horse goes. Hm. My mom works in an office full of lawyers—I'll see if I can ask one on Monday. Thanks!

Nov 24, 2011 at 02:22 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #6 · license plate photos?

Why not blur it out? .... then there is nothing to complain about. Was your intent to photograph the situation, or to reveal a license plate number? Only law enforcement has access to license plate information, not the general public. However, you've probably seen people, license plates, and still product ads blurred from shows like "Cops" or "60 Minutes" because permission wasn't given. I would play it safe. It would be a nice, first gesture despite the problems.

As for your horse, that's your property. If for some strange reason your landlord suddenly objected to showing your horse on his/her grounds I would honor the request. Moving is a bitch. Technically though, if the property was photographed on ordinary farmland without any recognizable structures then there is no case. I would wait until your landlord asks you not to take pictures on her/his property before assuming that it will happen.

Nov 24, 2011 at 03:49 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · license plate photos?

This is so much more complicated a situation than simply a photograph found to be offensive by your "neighbor." From what you describe, a bit confusingly, I must say, each of you is a tenant on land well away from a city street. So the photo of your neighbor's vehicle was taken on private property, not in a public right of way. Since this is a triplex on eighty acres, I assume your "neighbor" has the same landlord you have. I can't help but wonder under this set of circumstances whether the best resolution of your contentious relationship is through your landlord rather than this forum. Yes, the photo posted on FB may have relieved your angst since you could have a good laugh, but then it ended up exacerbating an already tense situation.

Personally, I'd take the photo down and discuss your unhappiness with your landlord. Aggravating your neighbor is hardly useful regardless of what your rights might be in this situation. If you have no fault in this contentious relationship and a good relationship with your landlord you might get support. If you're stirring the pot yourself, you might want to change you behavior...

Nov 24, 2011 at 05:29 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password