New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Wheeled cases

frank gross
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wheeled cases

Any recommendations for wheeled camera cases. I am very tall so a telescoping handle that is extra long would be a benefit. Also a design that doesnt tip easily if one is pulling it along a sidewalk etc.
A couple of considerations are the Tenba Roadie and the Lowepro roller x100 ?
I need to hold a dslr (5DII), 5 prime lenses (35/1.4, 50/1.4, 55 macro, 85/1.8, 135/2) plus accesories...5800EXII etc
Thanks for sharing your experiences

Nov 22, 2011 at 07:43 PM
dgcrane
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wheeled cases

The suggestion I would have is for you to check out Think Tank Airport products. I have the Security and Airstream rollercases and to me, they are just about perfect. Their customer service is also top notch and if you ever have a problem, they will make it right.

My local experience is that the staff at Henrys will negotiate down on the price of these products pretty considerably.

dgcrane

Edited on Nov 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM · View previous versions

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM
Dale Kirchhofer
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wheeled cases

Take a look at this line of rolling cases.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/categories/rolling-camera-bags/airport-series.aspx

I have the Airport Security V2.0. Holds a ton of gear. I have a D300, D700, 14-24/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8, 24-120/3.5, 50/1.4, 60/2.8. 85/1.4, 180/2.8, 300/4.0, 3-SB800's, flash bracket, batteries, straps, assorted cables, etc. and there is still a little room left. Very well built with roller blade wheels. When standing upright it is 24" from the floor and the telescoping handle extends 20" up from there. The customer service/support is exceptional at Thinktank. I'm not associated with them but like to give praise for great products.

dale

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:52 AM
david debalko
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wheeled cases

I have the think tank Airport takeoff and I love the case, holds 2 pro bodies, all my lenses and a laptop. One thing to watch out for is loose screws - I was told by a repair tech that he could tell the photographers that use a rolling bag, they literally have loose screws ... in their equipment that is. So watch the bounces

Nov 23, 2011 at 02:28 PM
Brit-007
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wheeled cases

Do not know if you have a Calumet store nearby but I bought their roller and it works great. Very similar to the others except cheaper without the loss of quality.

Nov 23, 2011 at 03:27 PM
frank gross
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wheeled cases

Thanks for suggestions folks.
I looked at the Pelican today and while I can appreciate it's ruggedness, the handle extension is a lot lower than the LowePro x100 pro roller or the Temba Roadie II (small).
I hadn't considered Think Tank before.
Since I only have one body, the smaller Airport Airstream model seems more appropriate and less expensive.
Anyone have this one ?

Nov 23, 2011 at 09:31 PM
hfgarris
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wheeled cases

I have the TT "Airstream" and the "Airport International" and like them both.

One big advantage to the "Airstream" is that it fits under the seat of most of the flights I have been on.

With the larger "International", I often remove half of the dividers and put my small shoulder "walk around" bag loaded with a camera and a couple of lenses inside the roller for travel. The remainder of the bag with dividers has alternate lenses and backup body to swap out what I am carrying for a given outing with my walk around bag.

-howard

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:11 PM
pompeio
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wheeled cases

I also have both the Airport International v2 and the Airstream and give them the highest recommendation. Both fit in overhead bins with the Airstream also fitting under the seat. I keep a D300 with grip, 70-200, 24-70, 12-24, teles, flash, light meter and 4x5 GNDs in the bag. I do not have the optional low dividers that ThinkTank sells but, I believe, if they are used you can get a laptop inside the bag. Otherwise, a laptop will fit in the exterior pocket put it would not be afforded much protection. Hope this helps.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:21 PM
frank gross
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wheeled cases

Some size specs if you're interested. Similar sizes.
So it gets down to build quality & handle extension length.

I need to comfortably hold a dslr (5DII), 5 prime lenses (35/1.4, 50/1.4, 55 macro, 85/1.8, 135/2), 5800EXII flash, plus batteries & various accesories... etc

ThinkTank AirStream -
ID: 13” W x 6.5-7.5” D x 15.5” H

Temba Roadie II -
ID: 12W x 5.75-7D in x 17H .

LowePro Pro Roller x100
ID: 11.4W x 6.6D x 15.7H in.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:43 PM
gatorine
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wheeled cases

Another vote for the airport international here. Get the low profile divider set if you travel with a 15" or smaller laptop.

Nov 24, 2011 at 01:48 PM
dlabrecque
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wheeled cases

Well, I can recommend the Roadie. I have an older version of the bigger one that I've had for the last two years. It's heavier than comparable models, but I had enough confidence in it to check it through on my flights to Hawaii an Maine. Both my equipment and the case survived both trips without a bit of damage.

Nov 24, 2011 at 09:18 PM
genzbenz

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wheeled cases

I've had my Roady for about a month. I just lugged it from Cincinnati to NYC and RI. Here's what I managed to keep in it while travelling:

gripped 5DII with 24-70 mounted
gripped 7D with 70-200II mounted
100-400L
85L
50 1.8
10-22
100 2,8 macro (not the L)
77mm CPL filter in hard case
77mm Fader ND in hard case
77mm Red filter in hard case
3x 77mm UV filters in hard case
72mm UV filter in hard case
2x Black Rapid straps in their mesh bags
Cokin P filter holder with 2 filters in hard cases
430EXII with 2 sets of spare batteries
2x battery chargers (one for 7D and one for 5DII)
1.4x TC
Rocket blower/duster
several bags of sillica gel
15" Acer laptop with power supply
Ipad

I packed a Tenba Medium messenger bag in my luggage and used that for my day-to-day shooting, but the Roady is great for transporting all of my gear around!

Dec 07, 2011 at 05:36 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.