Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it,...

igmolinav
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Hi,

Over the summer I bought a Profoto Acute B2 generator and
an acute lamp. At that time, I did my purchase over the inter-
net. At the time of the purchase I was living away. A bit
surprising as it may sound, five months after the purchase
the generator sits unopened and new at a friends home.

At the moment I have a Profoto Acute 2R generator, and I
had always dreamed of having a portable generator too.
Recently, while I was looking at another forum, a person
mentioned that he uses a set of Elinchrom Ranger Quadras.
I went to the website of a dealer and took a look at the
product. It also looks to be a very nice product, and even
lower in price.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632657-REG/Elinchrom_EL_10291_1_Ranger_Quadra_Head_A.html

In this forum I haven't seen a lot of comments about the
Elinchrom Ranger Quadras. Perhaps all of you are more
familiar with the AcuteB2.

If you were in my place would you keep the AcuteB2 ??

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Nov 22, 2011 at 04:30 PM
Sheldon N
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

I'll trade you my Quadra for your Acute B2.

Nov 22, 2011 at 04:50 PM
Mark_L
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Have a read: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/915145

I have had my acuteB2 for 8 months now and really like it, it just solidly delivers with no drama. Think of it as in-between the quadra and the ranger: it's really solid and can take large modifiers without any issue at all, 25% more battery capacity but you do only get half a stop more power (though some claim watt for watt profoto gets you more). The quadra system is not well suited towards large or heavy modifiers and people have done all sorts to reinforce them as well as find ways to get the flash head deeper into modifiers. I think you are also limited on the reflectors you can use while the profoto mount takes them all. The issue with the acuteB2 is the 'profoto tax' on the pricetag, no remote power control, extra weight and the flash duration isn't super fast.

I'd take a serious look at the Einstein with vagabond mini lithium. If it was better supported in the UK I may have been very tempted even though recycle at full power is not the best. The price tag is tiny compared to profoto.

Nov 22, 2011 at 05:58 PM
igmolinav
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Hi,

Yes Mark, the Einstein w/ the vagabond mini lithium is one third of the price approximately of just the generator price. Thank you for posting the thread. It looks like the Profoto AcuteB is the winner over the Quadra for all the reasons you mention and the comments made by the others. Hopefully Elinchrom will do something about the more portable and lighter Ranger Quadras.

Sheldon, what kind of pics. have you done mostly with your Ranger Quadras ??

Have a nice evening : ) !!!

igmolinav

Nov 22, 2011 at 07:23 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

I bought the ranger quadra and returned it. The mounting system sucks. Either keep your profoto or get a Ranger 1100ws.

Nov 22, 2011 at 08:01 PM
igmolinav
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Hi,

Thank you : ) !!! I have heard that there is a Manfrotto solution to the
mounting system, but I know very little about it.

Kind regards,

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Specularist
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

I recently took possession of an Elinchrom Ranger Quadra RX system. I opted for the S heads.

I did consider the Profoto AcuteB2, and had a good look at it in Paris. The lust was strong with that one! However, in the end the price was much, much greater for a two-head system ó†beyond my means. An AcuteB2 system is also much bigger and heavier, and I wanted something I could pack in a bag and carry by myself alongside my other gear. Of course the AcuteB2 is also significantly more powerful, more elegant in use (no arcane menu systems, etc.), and better designed and built.

The Quadra is mostly plastic, with several obvious weak points (I'm interested in the Manfrotto solution you mention). Someone with mechanical sympathy and plenty of time to set it up carefully may not mind, but the construction is at a much lower level than the rental-grade AcuteB2. It's a bit gadgety, frankly, while everything made by Profoto is beautiful and rugged and essential. Profoto gear makes you feel good while contemplating it; the Ranger Quadra does not.

That said, I do feel good looking at the early results from my Quadra, so it certainly works! And it has lots of great features, such as a tough gel-electrolyte battery with short charging times, fuss-free Skyport radio syncing, and access to Elinchrom's huge range of modifiers. It's the smallest and lightest battery-powered pack-and-head system on the market from a reputable manufacturer. I'm glad I bought it.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:09 AM
Roland W
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

I have been very happy with the two Profoto Acute B units that I have used for the last two years. They are a little heavy to haul around, but they have a nice light adjustment range, and the Profoto modifier attachment system seems secure and perfect. But it is oh so sweet to have plenty of power to overpower the sun while out in the great outdoors, even with a small octobox mounted to cut the harshness.

I would say to stay with the AcuteB2 for a while, and see how you like it for field use. If you really want less weight, you can try something else, but having a reasonable amount of power available, and having easily focused reflectors when needed, are both nice for a lot of work. Since you all ready have Profoto, and likely have some modifiers, that is further reason to stay with the AcuteB2.

Nov 23, 2011 at 04:06 AM
igmolinav
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Hi,

I think it is interesting what you say about the Ranger Quadras. I have read several positive reviews about it and as you mention, it is the lightest and smallest powered system on the market. That is the one of the super pluses of this gear, I think. One does not have to worry so much about transporting it.

Here is the link to fix the mount adapter:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8277988&postcount=294
I found this information here:
http://www.ronscheffler.com/blog/?page_id=247

Kind regards,

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:54 PM
Gregg Heckler
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Hopefully Elinchrom will do something about the more portable and lighter Ranger Quadras"

Do what? Profoto, but especially the The Quadra are as good as it gets for power, portability, quality, and light modifiers. But if you want cheap you can buy that too.

Nov 24, 2011 at 04:14 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Gregg Heckler wrote:
Hopefully Elinchrom will do something about the more portable and lighter Ranger Quadras"

Do what? Profoto, but especially the The Quadra are as good as it gets for power, portability, quality, and light modifiers. But if you want cheap you can buy that too.

They are designed for portability. And even the standard Elinchrom mount isnít that great for large modifiers. The only real down sides to the Quadra are the limited power and fixed asymmetry (max out at 266/133 J). The limited power is one of the things that enables the more compact units. The fixed ratio is something that could have been changed, but would have added to the price.

When you look at other systems (Ranger, Profoto 2, 4, and 8), there arenít many real advantages (as far as portability is concerned) over using monolights and a battery pack. A couple of Profoto D1s with a Tronix battery pack weighs in at less than an Acute 2 with two heads. The Acute can go with higher output, but is certainly isnít more portable.

Nov 24, 2011 at 05:24 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · I have a new Profoto AcuteB2 generator, should I sell it, if so, how? - Elinchrom Ra

Einstein+VML > AcuteB2 > Elinchrom Quadra

Nov 26, 2011 at 05:34 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password