Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2011 · Choose one for christmas

cobra0469
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Choose one for christmas

I've been reading here and other articles I can find online regarding these three cameras. My wife wants a good, but fairly small camera for Christmas. I've narrowed it down to these three as "my" favorites.
There's not a lot of info on the x10 available currently, but what I've seen I feel it is the best choice. The 5n appears to be very good, but I'm afraid the size with the 18-55 lens will be a little big for her to carry everywhere. She favors the pink c3.
She has minimal camera knowledge but is very able and willing to "learn" how to use either system to it's fullest. I really would like the opinions of folks on here regarding these three. If choosing the Sony please base opinions off the 18-55 kit lens for now.
I like the Fuji for size, zoom range, built in flash, and image quality appears good.
I like the 5n for creative options with lenses, high iso performance, and image quality.
She likes the c3 since it comes in pink!

Thanks for voting and voicing opinions.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:28 PM
denoir
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Choose one for christmas

I think you already have the answer in your post - if she wants a pink C3, get her a pink C3 Unless she is a photo enthusiast she is unlikely to appreciate the additional features of the 5N. The difference in IQ is minimal as they both share the same sensor.

The X10 is a too weird thing to appeal to people that don't have photography as a hobby.

Nov 22, 2011 at 12:32 PM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Choose one for christmas

How about the Fuji X 100? Simple to use, not very large, and better iQ than the 10?

Nov 22, 2011 at 01:12 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Choose one for christmas

I went with the 5N for personal reasons.. First; She will be dissatisfied with the size giving you the opportunity to explain that you selected the 5N because you wanted her to have the best.. After-all she is worth it.. Second.. Apologize, & buy her the 3.. Third.. Keep the 5N as your in the car camera.. She wins, you win..

Nov 22, 2011 at 01:19 PM
Jochenb
• • •
p.1 #5 · Choose one for christmas

denoir wrote:
I think you already have the answer in your post - if she wants a pink C3, get her a pink C3

Bingo

Nov 22, 2011 at 01:21 PM
slungu
• • •
p.1 #6 · Choose one for christmas

denoir wrote:
I think you already have the answer in your post - if she wants a pink C3, get her a pink C3

+1

Now, you have to get her what she wants, not what we want / think is better. I saw a television show the other day where a nice lady that had won some tousend euros was asked what she will do with the money, and the answer was a lila car. The reasons for buying something might be different, but they are as strong as our pixel peeping .

Nov 22, 2011 at 01:58 PM
Delatant
• •
p.1 #7 · Choose one for christmas

ALWAYS - ALWAYS buy the lady what SHE wants!!!

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:03 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Choose one for christmas

I voted C3 because it's what she asked for, though the 5n is a better camera. As an alternate plan, maybe you could get a pink leather half-case for the 5n.

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:04 PM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #9 · Choose one for christmas

I had thought about just buying what she wants, but she told me to pick what I felt was best for her. She also stated "nothing too expensive" which is why I omitted the x100. Regarding the c3 and 5n, is the c3 too small? That was my only other concern between these two. She does not like the feel of a small camera, like a s95.
I thought the zoom range on the x10 would be nice for her. She will primarily be taking pictures of our active 3 year old.

Thanks for all opinions given and keep them coming!

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:14 PM
Snopchenko
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Choose one for christmas

5N. Size-wise it's not much more than the C3, and my wife carries an old 3 I gave her for last New Year without issue. But you can't just buy the extra features afterwards.

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

redisburning
• • •
Account locked
p.1 #11 · Choose one for christmas

yo bro Im not even married but I can tell you for sure "pick what you think is best for me" when she has already expressed interest in a specific item is a red flag:

if I were you I would have ordered a pink C3 already.

Nov 22, 2011 at 04:03 PM
denoir
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Choose one for christmas

cobra0469 wrote:
I had thought about just buying what she wants, but she told me to pick what I felt was best for her.

Man, don't say you are going to fall for that one! It's the oldest trick in the book. What you should do is get her what she wants and make up a story go go along with it why you concluded that it was the best choice.

The only alternative I see is to try to find something else that has the characteristics that she wants (i.e look in this case) so that she'll recognize the essence of her choice in it. It's a gamble, but if you want to explore that venue, perhaps you should look at a pink GF3. It's a good camera and more compact than the C3 (due to the smaller lens).

Regarding the c3 and 5n, is the c3 too small? That was my only other concern between these two. She does not like the feel of a small camera, like a s95.

No worries there, the NEX isn't actually small if you intend to get the 18-55. It's actually rather big and unwieldy. It won't fit well in a handbag for instance.

Here's a size comparison:

NEX C3 vs Leica X1:

NEX C3 vs Small DSLR (Canon 350D):

Nov 22, 2011 at 05:07 PM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #13 · Choose one for christmas

Thanks for the side by side pics. That is the main reason I felt the x10 would be more suited for her. The nex bodies are small but the 18-55 lens adds too much bulk, IMO. My wife is very easy to get along with, if I bought either 5n or x10 and explained that I felt that was the best choice, she would be happy with that.
I really like the nex camera's, I'm just afraid she will dislike the size. At this point I'm leaning towards either the c3 or x10. I agree the 5n is better, just maybe not for her.

Is the 16mm worth purchasing along with the 18-55? I noticed BH has a rebate if it's purchased along with the camera. It will only be $100.

I also looked at the GF3 on BH photo. I like the size of the red one with the G X Vario PZ 14-42 lens. Little more money but may be an option. Anyone have input on this combination?

Nov 22, 2011 at 05:48 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Choose one for christmas

If your wife's not an IQ-obsessed alt forum member, she will probably be very happy with the results from the 16. But I do wonder how many casual shooters who have both ever bother with the 16. It's not that much wider or that much faster than the wide end of the zoom. You might want to consider adding the 50/1.8 to a two-lens kit. It seems like that would take away some of the frustration of shooting with the camera inside, if she only plans to use OEM lenses. If you're worried about the size, get her a nice leather purse or backpack large enough to contain her daily necessities and the camera.

Nov 22, 2011 at 06:53 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Choose one for christmas

C3 is the woman will love. 5n will be the one alter forumer want give to women. X10 will be the one excite you when you see a women with it.

Nov 22, 2011 at 07:20 PM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #16 · Choose one for christmas

I'm a little surprised that the 5n is the favorite by such a large margin. My wife said tonight that the pink color is not that important, so I'll likely pass on the c3 in favor of the 5n.

Nov 23, 2011 at 02:01 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Choose one for christmas

The 16 is a great little lens and the 18-55 is one of the best kit lenses out there. However I sold the kit lens because I don't need it. I would say get the 16.

Or just get the body and the 50mm F1.8.

Nov 23, 2011 at 02:21 AM
philber
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · Choose one for christmas

Cobra, I have had both, and the 5N is quite a bit better in terms of SOOC IQ than the C3. And size difference is essentially inconsequential. Not that it isn't a bit larger, but they both fall in the same category. If the 5N is too arge for a given pocket, the C3 won't fit either.

Nov 23, 2011 at 07:57 AM
jamesf99
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Choose one for christmas

I think the size of either sony will disappoint in the long run. Also, ask yourself if she wants to be bothered changing lenses to get the shots. while we may put up with it, most people are happier when they have a zoom lens on their camera.

Get the x10.

Nov 23, 2011 at 08:24 PM
cobra0469
• •
p.1 #20 · Choose one for christmas

jamesf99 wrote:
I think the size of either sony will disappoint in the long run. Also, ask yourself if she wants to be bothered changing lenses to get the shots. while we may put up with it, most people are happier when they have a zoom lens on their camera.

Get the x10.

This was also my concern. I ordered a X10 tonight, sure she'll be happy with it. If not I suppose I could return it or sell it and get a 5n. I want to thank everyone who voted or responded. If it were for myself, I would have purchased the nex 5n or nex 7.

Nov 24, 2011 at 05:47 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password