Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2011 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

eric77
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

I know this is not an absolute, but I do really wonder if people who watermark every'freakin'thing they post on the internet have a really inflated opinion of what their work is worth. Sorry, but if I see a picture of a duck......you know the rare majestic duck, which most of us will never encounter....with a giant watermark on it I just roll my eyes. I know a lot of Newbs feel the need to do it and if we're talking about an exceptional image....mmmm...maybe...but pictures of your house cat? Just on observation and my opinion.

Nov 21, 2011 at 10:02 AM
wickerprints
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

Well, who are you to decide whether the image is sufficiently valuable or worthy to merit a watermark? Should the creator of the work put it up to a popular vote before sharing it?

The question as you have posed it, assumes that people watermark their images because they think it has value and therefore must be protected from theft. But that's not necessarily a valid assumption.

Sometimes, people watermark their images as a form of branding. Some people feel it is about the principle. Some people do it because they've been burned in the past. And some people do it because they simply choose to and it's their right. It's not necessarily ego that drives the act. And even if it were, why should you care? If the picture has value in your eyes, then by your reasoning, a watermark is justified. If the picture does not have value in your eyes, then why would you care if a watermark is applied? It's already not worthy of your interest.

Nov 21, 2011 at 11:01 AM
eric77
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

I said it was my opinion. Not a ratified law or universal constant. I was sharing my....oh, yes...my opinion.

I just see people with horrible photos throwing watermarks on everything and it amuses me is all.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:18 PM
ontime
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

If someone says "C&C this" and all I can see is a stupid watermark, then I let them know in the C&C.

Most watermarks are easy to remove, and as such, contribute little functionally except to be distracting to the viewer.

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:25 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

eric77 wrote:
I said it was my opinion. Not a ratified law or universal constant. I was sharing my....oh, yes...my opinion.

I just see people with horrible photos throwing watermarks on everything and it amuses me is all.

So...which is it? Are you annoyed? Or are you amused? You can't have it both ways..they kind of contradict each other.

BTW..annoy has 2 "n"s.

Nov 25, 2011 at 12:24 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

All commercial TV and radio annoys me. That's why I have FIOS (TiVo), premium channels, an iPod, and Sirius. For watermarked photos there is always the back or scroll key..... or just ignore them. There are a lot of masters of photography who watermark their images. It's their choice, not my problem.

Nov 25, 2011 at 03:51 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eric77
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

Thank you for lending a hand regarding a slip of the finger on a keyboard. That contributed a lot to the discussion.

Yes, I can have it both ways.

Nov 25, 2011 at 08:00 AM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

eric77 wrote:
Thank you for lending a hand regarding a slip of the finger on a keyboard. That contributed a lot to the discussion.

A slip would have a different result.

"Yes, I can have it both ways.".....says a lot about your logic.

Nov 25, 2011 at 02:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

eric77 wrote:
I know this is not an absolute, but I do really wonder if people who watermark every'freakin'thing they post on the internet have a really inflated opinion of what their work is worth. Sorry, but if I see a picture of a duck......you know the rare majestic duck, which most of us will never encounter....with a giant watermark on it I just roll my eyes. I know a lot of Newbs feel the need to do it and if we're talking about an exceptional image....mmmm...maybe...but pictures of your house cat? Just on observation and my opinion.

I think you are overreacting. However, about 5-6 years ago I decided to longer post images on the internet - unauthorized usage problem solved.

EBH

Nov 25, 2011 at 02:51 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

eric77 wrote:

What's really annoying is that there is an "edit" button that rarely gets used and a spelling checker in the forum software which is apparently ignored. Then a poster complains when others point out their mistakes.

Nov 25, 2011 at 03:53 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

I think this topic is so picayune, and slightly neurotic that the only thing left is to correct spelling errors. I think it's best to get over it. Really. .....but that's just my opinion.

Nov 25, 2011 at 05:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Watermarking...Does this anoy you also?

Well, most forums have a preview and this is the only one I use that does not. I understand that was rejected at the last major software upgrade since previews place an extra load on the server, especially if image uploads were used. Perhaps previews could be revisited without including the preview of the upload if necessary.

EBH

Nov 25, 2011 at 05:42 PM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password