Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

Archive 2011 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

_Rob_S_
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I think everything's already been said so I'll just say I love it and congrats for successfully thinking outside the box!

Rob

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:05 PM
mdalby
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Rick, I love the sky.

For some reason the quote form the movie Tombstone comes to mind with Kurt Russell/Wyatt Earp saying, "You tell 'em I'm coming and hells coming with me."

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:14 PM
Matt OHarver
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I really like it, and congratulate you for thinking outside the box.

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:37 PM
Ryan Simmons
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I kinda feel like I should really dig this sort of thing. I like the tough girls + tough setting concept, but I'm not really a fan.

The extremely saturated yellow of the debris seriously just seems gross to me, and the contrast with the more natural colors of the girls makes it seem unnatural and not in a good way, almost like they've been cutout and placed in the scene. I'm not sure what I'd do differently about that, maybe desat the debris?

Nov 22, 2011 at 02:50 PM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Ryan Simmons wrote:
I kinda feel like I should really dig this sort of thing. I like the tough girls + tough setting concept, but I'm not really a fan.

The extremely saturated yellow of the debris seriously just seems gross to me, and the contrast with the more natural colors of the girls makes it seem unnatural and not in a good way, almost like they've been cutout and placed in the scene. I'm not sure what I'd do differently about that, maybe desat the debris?

interesting, because save for a few saturation pumps and some sharpening, anything other than the sky is pretty much how you see it in real life. thanks for the input though

Nov 22, 2011 at 03:02 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

For me, it doesn't quite work because the subjects seem so isolated from their thematic background. Like... here is our team... and yes, there is a junkyard behind us. Like Ryan says, it seems like the team shot has been cutout and placed onto a junkyard background and since it has that appearance, you could have just done that at the get go. I think it has this effect due to two reasons... #1 an extreme color/theme mismatch, and #2 there is not enough interaction of the girls with the junk in the BG or any attempt to assimilate the junkyard into the subjects themselves.

When it comes to thematic posters like this, I draw inspiration from Junion Photography. Some people really dig this guy's work, and some hate it. I think it's pretty cool personally and when I see poster threads like this, it's who I think of. Take a look at his work by clicking the link below, and then sport 1, sport 2, sport 3 at the bottom and scroll left to right.

http://junion.com/CONTENT/open_page.htm

Nov 22, 2011 at 08:07 PM
Draper
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Hey Rick! Just saw this and thought I'd throw a couple of ideas at you. I like the concept but I think you could make it a little more compelling by using your light in a slightly different way. Background light: maybe try putting some speedlights into the mix somewhere. Give the junk some highlights. Some of these lights could be used to backlight the subjects and give them a little separation. Along with these, maybe try to add some rim lights to the girls, it would be nice to seem some separation light on the sides of their bodies as well. When lighting the subjects, it would be nice to see some shadow on their faces, this would add to the 3d feel of them. As they are right now they are sort of flat being lit from front. These are just suggestions but I thought you might like some input that might add to the way you set up your next shot. Cheers!

Nov 22, 2011 at 08:19 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

P Alesse wrote:
For me, it doesn't quite work because the subjects seem so isolated from their thematic background. Like... here is our team... and yes, there is a junkyard behind us. Like Ryan says, it seems like the team shot has been cutout and placed onto a junkyard background and since it has that appearance, you could have just done that at the get go. I think it has this effect due to two reasons... #1 an extreme color/theme mismatch, and #2 there is not enough interaction of the girls with the junk in the BG or any attempt to assimilate
...Show more

Speechless! (except for all the expletives I'm choosing not to post )

Nov 22, 2011 at 08:34 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Russ Isabella wrote:
Speechless! (except for all the expletives I'm choosing not to post )

Russ... pretty sick stuff, right?

Nov 22, 2011 at 09:11 PM
kiwifamily
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I guarantee it's the most memorable team photo they've had, both during and after, and I really like it.

Well done for being different, and technically it's very accomplished

Nov 25, 2011 at 04:16 PM
TrojanHorse
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I dig it and if I were one of their parents I'd dig it too... Women's hockey players have a little more junkyard dog in them than delicate flower anyway, but the real reason I'd like it is that I probably have about 14 sets of T+I pictures from every pee-wee, midget, club, high school etc. team picture my kid every played on and they're all the same with a bunch of grimacing kids standing on ice staring at the camera.

What you just did is going to the head of the stack of team pictures, no wonder you got such a good initial response.

Really, aside from some o the technical comments you received above, the only problem is that you can't do this every year. You'll have to one-up yourself next year. Good luck!

Nov 25, 2011 at 06:15 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Rick,
Nice work and + 1 again for the creative contrast. This original shot was by far the best of the lot for the concept.

Two suggestions just to see how it might work...
1_ make the aspect ratio more envelope by removing a top band of he ssky, I think it might add to the 'scrapiness'

2_ consider a text overlay across the bottom of the photo area but above your dark black band, using a scrappy font that says "top of the heap" which would anchor the theme, but also flow nicely when reading into the bottom of the banner. (all lower case text might look best, first trying the grungy yellow/brown color, then medium dark sky color, or last red to match)

By the way, what font did you use for the bottom?
Latstly, if you

had any shots of just the background, you might be able to turn it into a great simple template with the bottom boarder. I would want to see it from the distance of the final shot rather than some of the tighter shots to better maintain the ominance.

Guy

Nov 26, 2011 at 09:01 AM
sydneysteelers

p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

As A hockey coach and someone just starting out in Photography I think this is just what I would want to take of the team I coach. My son played hockey from the time he was 4 years old until he was 17 and I have that same old boring photo, stand here put the puck on the ice in front now smile. The same pose different sweaters and different size of the player as the years went by. I coach a hockey team of 13/14 year old kids and I want to take photos of them as my Christmas gift to them and this team photo would be unreal.

Thanks for posting a hockey team photo that is exciting and fun and yes they will have this photo hanging on their walls for ever.

Thanks
Art

Nov 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM
chrisbergmann
• •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Its different but I think it works

Nov 19, 2012 at 05:36 PM
ian408
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I dig it. Scrap yard was a great idea.

Nov 19, 2012 at 09:01 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

It is awesome. (No. 1) It says we own "this" and "this" is mayhem, power, strength and we are the junkyard dogs, so to speak. We are the big dogs in town. It wouldn't work for ballet, it's great in this context.

Nov 19, 2012 at 10:01 PM
Tom D
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Hey Rick,
The shots are looking great and done well technically. As I was looking through them all, a common issue with them kept popping in my head that I was hoping to see get resolved by a final version later in the thread, but it hadn't happened. Then I read that Paul picked up on the problem as I did, and Guy was the one who arrived at the same remedy that I had in mind.

Just keeping it real here, so don't take offense-- only my opinion, but as they are, the shots look cool but aren't working for me with the background. And it's simply because they don't have anything visually or otherwise to tie them together so they make sense. On the visual level, they are totally incongruous. Nothing wrong with that, but it still helps the overall impact immensely when a poster makes sense. To me, adding a slogan would completely change the feel of this piece and bring it all together, whether it's "TOP OF THE HEAP" as Guy mentioned, or something like "DISMANTLING THE OPPOSITION". Another idea would be to reference them as a scrappy team... you get the picture.

I know it's quite a load of work to produce those shots and you did a great job. Taking that last little step would finish it up...

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM
Rick Denham
• • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

wow, talk about re-incarnating the dead.

one thing i would like to say is that i like to keep my stuff simple. the link that Paul used for the one photographer, i checked out his work, definitely not my style. while the shots and concepts were great, in all honesty the final product was gaudy and way to cluttered.

there was no concept to the dump site, no hidden meaning. these are my girls, and every year we try to do something cool to give the parents as a gift, outside of the norm. we are starting to prep for this years, i'll make sure to post it when it's done.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:59 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

Rick,

This location wouldn't have been my first choice for a team shoot. Not certain how one's thinking could get one here but, in the end I'd say it worked. What strikes me the most is the unusual background that for some reason keeps you looking at the shot. The more time I spend with it the more unique it appears. A good challenge to the status quo in team posters.

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:48 PM
andyz
• • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · team photo - FINALIZED POSTER

I hadn't noticed the original date. Wow.

So, did the parents like what you did last year? They are the audience and those who matter.

Nov 20, 2012 at 11:13 PM
       3       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.